Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 07:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,361,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I guess you must be an example of the iconic "Kinder, Gentler Canadian."

Tourists from many countries can be jerks. And that includes - you might wanna sit down for this - Canadians. I've seen many obnoxious, entitled Canadian tourists in Florida who seem to honestly believe that the state is their own back yard in which they should be able to do whatever they want. And to stay as long as they want. I wonder how Canadians would react to hundreds of thousands of Americans descending on, say, Vancouver Island AND staying for 6 months EVERY single year.
Oh boy!

I love that bit about "doing what they want"; you're certainly not assuming anything there are you?

If you mean enjoying themselves by doing the same activities Americans revel in ......I'm guilty.

You were obviously not brought up in the Ontario Kawarthas where not only did they come by the thousands but bought properties, stayed as long as they liked and used our healthcare without paying Fed/Provincial. How's that for kinder gentler?

Aside from that last part, I imagine most thought it was a great addition to the economy, 'cause if they could afford the summer properties they could afford the boats and other toys that went with it.

Spent many summers up in Temagami interacting with American fly-ins who for the most part were exactly like Canadian fly-ins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:27 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,787,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh boy!

I love that bit about "doing what they want"; you're certainly not assuming anything there are you?

If you mean enjoying themselves by doing the same activities Americans revel in ......I'm guilty.

You were obviously not brought up in the Ontario Kawarthas where not only did they come by the thousands but bought properties, stayed as long as they liked and used our healthcare without paying Fed/Provincial. How's that for kinder gentler?

Aside from that last part, I imagine most thought it was a great addition to the economy, 'cause if they could afford the summer properties they could afford the boats and other toys that went with it.

Spent many summers up in Temagami interacting with American fly-ins who for the most part were exactly like Canadian fly-ins.
Oh, boy! I did NOT have you in mind, BruSan. Scout's honour. Chill. I was referring to other snowbirds I know. But mostly I'm talking about some Canadian college students who come down to Florida for Spring break. Talk about obnoxious.

I was part of a school trip to Florida when I was a CEGEP student in Montreal, and I know how a few bone heads in our group behaved there. Control freak behaviour of some LEOs notwithstanding, the police officers in this particular Florida town were far more patient with those 19 year old twits than I would have been.

No, I have no doubt that you are a respectful, decent, law abiding guy who minds his manners wherever he goes. You slip up a little here on CD, but I guess we all do now and again.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:50 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,380,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxie1989 View Post
I wish some Americans could change their attitude and act more "humbly" and then I think there would be less resentment on our part. I try to be nice to Americans both in the real world and online but sometimes they just get to me..

The way they mock us for our accent, military, culture and health system is enough to make you cry sometimes. I feel "bullied" to some extent.
While I don't agree with Americans who mock Canadians, but all the abuse Americans direct at Canadians is minuscule in comparison to what Canadians say about Americans. In any case, whichever side you happen to be on, I think somewhat thicker skin is necessary.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:51 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 11 days ago)

34,432 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxie1989 View Post
I wish some Americans could change their attitude and act more "humbly" and then I think there would be less resentment on our part. I try to be nice to Americans both in the real world and online but sometimes they just get to me..

The way they mock us for our accent, military, culture and health system is enough to make you cry sometimes. I feel "bullied" to some extent.
To paraphrase Pierre Elliot TrueDope, like the mouse sleeping next to an elephant?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,361,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, boy! I did NOT have you in mind, BruSan. Scout's honour. Chill. I was referring to other snowbirds I know. But mostly I'm talking about some Canadian college students who come down to Florida for Spring break. Talk about obnoxious.

I was part of a school trip to Florida when I was a CEGEP student in Montreal, and I know how a few bone heads in our group behaved there. Control freak behaviour of some LEOs notwithstanding, the police officers in this particular Florida town were far more patient with those 19 year old twits than I would have been.

No, I have no doubt that you are a respectful, decent, law abiding guy who minds his manners wherever he goes. You slip up a little here on CD, but I guess we all do now and again.
I prefer to think of what I sometimes manage to do here on CD as a sort of a slow cascade with a flourish off a cliff and finish with a pirouette into a punch bowl full of cacti.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:03 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
Looks like the "Ugly Americans" and Ugly Canadians" are not exactly an endangered species.

Travel tip - After crossing ANY border take about as much cash you expect to need and exchange the US currency to the local. Then take all the US you have out of your wallet and pants pockets and put it in a plastic sandwich bag. Use the local currency while you are there reverse the exchange when you leave. Or, like we generally do, put the local cash in the same bag after you have restored you wallet to US currency. A couple of days ago we found a stash of about 30 Canadian in a bag. We will use it this summer.

FWIW - We have never had a problem with the people of Canada, including, the cops whenever we have visited.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,344,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Looks like the "Ugly Americans" and Ugly Canadians" are not exactly an endangered species.

Travel tip - After crossing ANY border take about as much cash you expect to need and exchange the US currency to the local. Then take all the US you have out of your wallet and pants pockets and put it in a plastic sandwich bag. Use the local currency while you are there reverse the exchange when you leave. Or, like we generally do, put the local cash in the same bag after you have restored you wallet to US currency. A couple of days ago we found a stash of about 30 Canadian in a bag. We will use it this summer.

FWIW - We have never had a problem with the people of Canada, including, the cops whenever we have visited.
While I agree with your take on cash, there are exceptions in places like Vancouver. We get many people doing a day visit from Seattle and other places in Washington State, and most, not all, businesses will accept USD as a courtesy...and a favourable exchange rate.
Also thousands of US cruise ship passengers often only have a few hours in Vancouver pre and post cruise and exchanging money for that amount of time would be a hassle.

However, yes. If someone is spending even just a couple of days, it's always best to use local currency.

As for it being reciprocated in Washington State...perhaps in a border town like Blaine...not in Seattle though. The reason I'm guessing is that it's easier in Canada to exchange money. All banks carry USD for exchange purposes, so it's less of a hassle for business to exchange the money. Canadian banks even offer USD accounts.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:21 AM

298 posts, read 274,919 times
Canadians are not friendly like you think they are so you have to live here and get used to what they really are like, Canadians are no better, or worse than anyone else in the world. I don't believe in the myth of the "polite Canadian." They're as rude and self centered as anyone else.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 07-15-2016 at 01:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 02:32 AM

29,775 posts, read 18,629,952 times
Remember that canada is a very provincial small country compared to the USA and they are manipulated by media into thinking they are better than the USA because of their politics and they have nationalized health care. I worked for a Canadian company for a few years and knew many Canadians well and often go there. i think that Canadian red neck mentality is less prevalent in Vancouver and BC in general so not bad here.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM

909 posts, read 1,142,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Remember that canada is a very provincial small country compared to the USA and they are manipulated by media into thinking they are better than the USA because of their politics and they have nationalized health care. I worked for a Canadian company for a few years and knew many Canadians well and often go there. i think that Canadian red neck mentality is less prevalent in Vancouver and BC in general so not bad here.
No one is manipulated into anything.They are called opinions and people who think public health care and social services are important see it as a better country, nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada