U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 06:34 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,457,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Just got back from camping in Ontario...first trip to Canada in 2 years
used to be impressed with how nice/friendly Canadians were

this time...jeezus...people were rude, obnoxious...didn't want to do exchange rate and INSISTED we were at par which is total bs...looked at the American dollar like it was dog poop

And the Ontario Park Police or whatever the park cop wannabees are called were complete douche bags

We were NOT in an alcohol free park...we were walking back from the beach (at the Pinery in Sarnia) when one of the Ontario Rent a cops pulls up, whips out his flash light and barks "what are you doing"

We told him, and he shined his light on the beer my friend had and asked "where are you from"
we told him "Michigan" and the DB replied "I though people in Michigan carried their booze in brown paper bags" and his db partner cop wannabee laughed...then he said "dump that...NOW...in front of me"...then got back in his "squad car" and sped off into the night...I wanted to tell him "don't you know back in the states cops get killed for no reason" but thought it best to keep quiet

This is just one incident...there was just a rudeness I was not expecting in Canada...did we do something to **** off the Canadians?? We wont be back next year...

also...do you think the Pinery Provincial Park could actually level off the camp sites they assign to 35 foot travel trailers?? You cant possibly level your trailer in half these sites...
The Pinery is a refugee camp for vomiting hipsters, high schoolers, and drunk EI recipients...just so you know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 08:58 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,107,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Remember that canada is a very provincial small country compared to the USA and they are manipulated by media into thinking they are better than the USA because of their politics and they have nationalized health care. I worked for a Canadian company for a few years and knew many Canadians well and often go there. i think that Canadian red neck mentality is less prevalent in Vancouver and BC in general so not bad here.
It's the CBC's mantra to make the U.S. look as bad as possible. The State Department even wrote cables about how the Anglo-Canadian media has a stated policy of presenting the best of Canada and the worst of the USA. That's why some Anglo-Canadians are so nationalistic and smug. They're conditioned by the CBC to thinking they are god's gift to the world. And, in the end, the only "great" Anglo-Canadian contribution since 1867 to the world has been the Blackberry (a dying product now). Makes one wonder where the smugness comes from for many.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 AM

34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
It's the CBC's mantra to make the U.S. look as bad as possible. The State Department even wrote cables about how the Anglo-Canadian media has a stated policy of presenting the best of Canada and the worst of the USA. That's why some Anglo-Canadians are so nationalistic and smug. They're conditioned by the CBC to thinking they are god's gift to the world. And, in the end, the only "great" Anglo-Canadian contribution since 1867 to the world has been the Blackberry (a dying product now). Makes one wonder where the smugness comes from for many.
Makes me wonder where you dig up this bunk.
Links would be more enlightening than just your opinion.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:53 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,351,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
All his posts are always bunk! He really needs to stop trolling the Canada section, it's getting tiring!

Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,351,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Remember that canada is a very provincial small country compared to the USA and they are manipulated by media into thinking they are better than the USA because of their politics and they have nationalized health care. I worked for a Canadian company for a few years and knew many Canadians well and often go there. i think that Canadian red neck mentality is less prevalent in Vancouver and BC in general so not bad here.
Um, The USA is much more provincial and inward looking than Canada. Just look at how many Canadians have passports compared to Americans.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:25 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,107,211 times
Quote:
Think Tank Report: https://www.fraserinstitute.org/site...mericanism.pdf
State Department Cable on Anti-Americanism Among Canadian Youth: https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09OTTAWA298_a.html
State Department Cable on Anti-Americanism in Canadian Media: Canadian TV is full of anti-U.S. stereotypes, Wikileaks cable complains | cleveland.com
And another: U.S. warned of 'insidious' stereotypes on Canadian TV, WikiLeaks shows - The Globe and Mail

Old 07-17-2016, 04:39 PM

34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Ok then you've made your point,Canadians are better than Americans and we are evidently smug about it.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:44 PM

18,267 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Ok then you've made your point,Canadians are better than Americans and we are evidently smug about it.
Robin Williams said it best: Canadians are "the nice family living over a biker bar."

Old 07-17-2016, 11:12 PM

6,518 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I daresay some of the people here commenting are Americans living in America, like myself, and the OP's behavior is not acceptable here, either. You can't walk around with an open beer at many state and national parks. We have rangers who patrol campsites and parking lots for the safety of everyone, not to pick on one arrogant camper that thinks the rules don't apply to them.

The OPs behavior would not be tolerated here in Tennessee. I doubt it would be tolerated in many places in the USA. He is from Michigan, maybe that is ok there. He went to Ontario and acted like an idiot, then complains about his treatment.

Sometimes we find ourselves in a position of having to apologize for one or some of our countrymen, this unfortunately is one of those situations.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 PM

6,518 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
While I don't agree with Americans who mock Canadians, but all the abuse Americans direct at Canadians is minuscule in comparison to what Canadians say about Americans. In any case, whichever side you happen to be on, I think somewhat thicker skin is necessary.

I agree with the "thicker skin" thing. Some of the banter between Canadians and Americans is funny and entertaining, at least as long as it stays friendly and good natured. (most of it is) The two nations are close allies and share deep cultural and historic ties. I think residents on both sides can make the best of the silly banter that sometimes goes back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada