U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 03:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,272,361 times

Advertisements

I hate to be the one that breaks your bubble Mikey....But CBSA does ask questions of EVERYONE, even gasp......Canadians. That's what they are paid to do, while looking you in the eye and watching for subtle "tells " that indicate lies.

Get over yourself.

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 03:46 PM

261 posts, read 203,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
-- Tell English Canadians that they are amazed that we have no French accent
Are English Canadians insulted by the reminder that there are French-speaking people in Canada? Or is it just that Americans should be aware that most Canadians are English speakers?

Also, should I be insulted if a foreigner in Canada is not aware that there are French-speaking people in Canada?

And finally, is it okay to be insulted if an English Canadian (who doesn't speak much if any French) tells me that Quebecers have to speak English with French people, because the latter cannot at all understand our language, which "isn't real French"?

(For the record, I find this third situation really insulting, though I'll admit I've seen it more on the internet than in person. The second situation wouldn't insult me, but I would briefly tell them about Canadian history and geography. I don't think the first situation really warrants feeling insulted either, but once again some education would be in order.)

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anyway, over about 25 years, cumulatively my wife and I have run into a half dozen (maybe 10?) fellow Canadians who were absolutely dumbfounded by the fact that we spoke French and were from Canada, and not France!
Well then, maybe I should also ask the question whether I should feel insulted or not if not a foreigner but a Canadian isn't aware that there are French-speaking people in Canada!

Last edited by Migratory Chicken; 07-26-2016 at 04:02 PM..

Old 07-26-2016, 03:49 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Does geographic concentration matter much in terms of cultural knowledge and familiarity in today's interconnected world?
Absolutely. Walking down a street on Google Streetview, and reading a bit about a place, isn't the same as going there.

Someone driving from Florence 150 K in Italy for a Sunday Drive, is going to cross over a greater percentage of their country and culture, than if I drove 150 K eastward.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's a Texas thing. Ironically I encountered nearly the same thing coming off the ferry from Port Angeles into Victoria, and we're Canadian. Oh, any guns? I know everyone down there has them...blah blah. The thing that twisted my tail was the "Where are you going, how long are you going to be there, who, why questions." In my head I was making a comment that the three Canadian passports in your hands should let you know that it's none of your damn business, but instead I just answered the douchecanoe's questions, got out of there and moved on with my day, as Mrs. YYC and I shook our heads about the state of Canada Customs.
Was he young? I know I had a young one, that seemed shocked I drove to and from California. Must have been his first week.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
You act like this is just an American thing. I'm sure there are plenty of Canadians who don't know their history as well.
My answer was to a specific question regarding Americans.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I hate to be the one that breaks your bubble Mikey....But CBSA does ask questions of EVERYONE, even gasp......Canadians. That's what they are paid to do, while looking you in the eye and watching for subtle "tells " that indicate lies.

Get over yourself.

Jim B.
Except that you're entirely wrong.

Unless things have drastically changed since I was there, Canadians have the right of free movement and association. I'm not talking if I have booze, or gifts or I exceeded my allowance and the usual stuff. I was being quizzed as to what my movements were going to be in my own country, who I was seeing, and why.

You don't need to explain what their role is. I did the job.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:02 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Was he young? I know I had a young one, that seemed shocked I drove to and from California. Must have been his first week.
Summer student. It's how they add additional staff in peak season without having to deal with the PSAC.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:17 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Absolutely. Walking down a street on Google Streetview, and reading a bit about a place, isn't the same as going there.

Someone driving from Florence 150 K in Italy for a Sunday Drive, is going to cross over a greater percentage of their country and culture, than if I drove 150 K eastward.
The subtext that there is such a motherlode of Canadian knowledge to get one's head around that it prevents us from gaining fulsome knowledge and familiarity with it as most other nations do with themselves, is one that I just can't agree with.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I would think so, given that Canada is at least 20% foreign born with the majority of those concentrated within four provinces.

Perhaps the recently Canadianized Somali can be forgiven if he hasn't travelled to Paris or heard French spoken by another Canadian while living in Lillooet.
Especially if he spends most of his free time indulging in American schlock (or quality stuff!) as opposed to learning a bit more about his new home!

Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,681,512 times
As a former Canuck from Ontario and living in Calif took my youngest son for a Vacation trip up the west coast to British Columbia.

On entering was asked the usual questions...explained that I was originally from Hamilton, Ont and that my son was US born and I was naturalized.....no problems.

On return to the US I was asked many questions and one was "did I have any souvenirs?"

Answered "heck NO, don't need any as I was born in Canada"

Now I have lived in Mexico for 23 years and LOVE the warm Beach/Weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada