U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 05:27 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Germany is doing a good job of watering down the German culture, and they don't speak English.
I stand corrected. I will rephrase my observation: "only the Anglo-Saxon ones."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 05:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,487,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I stand corrected. I will rephrase my observation: "only the Anglo-Saxon ones."
Charlemagne a saxon?

Old 07-30-2016, 05:46 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,936,489 times
How on earth did you get into the country? They turned me around and sent me back year before last. A 65 year old normal looking Roman Catholic European-white male US born (and they know it) who has been across that same border crossing hundreds of times (I owned a cottage there for 15 years). They've turned totally assy! And they don't have to say why. This started about 7 years ago when they hauled me into immigration and interviewed me under a light! Just like in the movies. Nutsy cuckoo. I stay far away from that place anymore.

And BTW, don't even have a snitch of ethanol in you when driving on route 21 - they stop traffic and "check" everybody - right around Grand Bend. I've heard some horror stories about that.

That alcohol was probably illegal. And no...they don't have to take American money at all if they don't want to. Use a credit or debit card and get Canadian money. I always did that.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 07-30-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Oh please what an exaggeration. The millions of Canadians flooding down here to real beaches with decent water temps don't seem to fear being shot by police. Quit believing the over hyped stories on stupid news networks down here. Millions and millions of Americans are roaming around camps and parks all summer long with nary an incident with police. Jeez.
The best beach in the Great Lakes is Ipperwash Beach - it's on the Canadian side. Sleeping Bear is nice but the walk is too long and the water is too cold most of the time. Ipperwash often has "Maui" style waves and the water gets to 80 degrees by mid summer.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:53 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Charlemagne a saxon?
Charlemagne a Frank. Charlemagne dead. Merkel (sigh) alive, and determined to provide entry to as many jihadis as possible.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 07-30-2016 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,487,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Charlemagne a Frank. Charlemagne dead. Merkel (sigh) alive, and determined to provide entry to as many jihadis as possible.
Germany and many other countries, influenced by German angst, have opened their borders to millions of foreigners who hold beliefs that conflict with national culture. Unfortunately, many view Canada as having no identifiable culture, therefore suggesting that nothing is lost with embracing the new "mosaic". More realistically, in all countries, culture, religion, and lifestyle could be changed within a couple of generations.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 AM

12,334 posts, read 10,313,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
The best beach in the Great Lakes is Ipperwash Beach - it's on the Canadian side. Sleeping Bear is nice but the walk is too long and the water is too cold most of the time. Ipperwash often has "Maui" style waves and the water gets to 80 degrees by mid summer.

Great Lakes beaches are okay. Never liked the smell of Great Lakes water compared to salt air coming off the ocean. I was just at the beach this past weekend. I almost counted as many Canadian plates as American license plates. Why aren't they going to these beautiful Great Lakes beaches lol?

Old 08-01-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Great Lakes beaches are okay. Never liked the smell of Great Lakes water compared to salt air coming off the ocean. I was just at the beach this past weekend. I almost counted as many Canadian plates as American license plates. Why aren't they going to these beautiful Great Lakes beaches lol?
You probably went to Lake Erie, Lake St Clair, or southern Lake Michigan. Lake Huron's water is crystal clear (too cold if you go too far north) and importantly, no sharks or Portugese Man-o'-War. I refuse to swim in an ocean. Hate it. Bad smell, bad taste, too. Why Canadian plates? For starters you apparently can't bring alcohol to a provincial park. I presume they have many other rules in place. Ipperwash is fine though. Nobody bothers you.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:57 PM

15,909 posts, read 6,264,006 times
Quote:
I was on a beach in Quintes Isle, Lake Ontario, province of Ontario in August 1972, before environmental legislation took hold. Honestly the smell was not bad, and it was plenty hot, around 33 C or 90 F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada