Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 05:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Remember the good old days when Ukrainians were the target of jokes, jokes that would be considered racist today if Ukrainians weren't Caucasian ... a time when it was normal to recognize and comment on clearly identified cultural traits, when cultural groups agreed that some of their habits and customs were probably amusing to other cultures? For example, in China is it normal to belch loudly at the dinner table to demonstrate appreciation for a dinner course. In Germany, belching loudly during a meal is considered rather rude. Today, Canadians are supposed to be polite in the mosaic country of Canada, so what is rude and what is polite: belching loudly during a meal, or not belching at all?
Go ahead and belch, and claim Chinese ancestry. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Remember the good old days when Ukrainians were the target of jokes, jokes that would be considered racist today if Ukrainians weren't Caucasian ... a time when it was normal to recognize and comment on clearly identified cultural traits, when cultural groups agreed that some of their habits and customs were probably amusing to other cultures? For example, in China is it normal to belch loudly at the dinner table to demonstrate appreciation for a dinner course. In Germany, belching loudly during a meal is considered rather rude. Today, Canadians are supposed to be polite in the mosaic country of Canada, so what is rude and what is polite: belching loudly during a meal, or not belching at all?
I remember the days when everyone everywhere was the butt of somebody else's jokes somewhere. There were Polish jokes, Italian jokes, Japanese jokes, Russian jokes, British jokes, black man jokes, white man jokes, red man jokes, yellow man jokes, plus jokes about women drivers and blonde women, jokes about gays, jokes about other minorities, jokes about other countries, jokes about government officials ....... yada yada yada. The word you should have used is bigotry, not racist.

What is rude about belching? That's a no brainer. Belching is like farting, it stinks something disgusting. When you belch you blast out the odours of all the undigested foods and booze you've just consumed plus a hint of hydrochloric acid and it stinks to high heavens, it's enough to make other people gag. Who wants to be the recipient of somebody else's stinky belches blasting out over the dining table and throughout the room, anymore than who wants to be the recipient of somebody's stinky farts?

The polite thing to do is leave the table and go outside or to the washroom to belch or fart or don't belch or fart at all until you are no longer in polite society enjoying a meal together.

All societies, all cultures everywhere should observe the politer niceties and not go about stinking up other people's space. Especially when people are trying to enjoy their meal.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,720 times
Jeez it's the people like this OP that give us Americans a bad rap. Please don't think all of us are like this!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:19 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
Jeez it's the people like this OP that give us Americans a bad rap. Please don't think all of us are like this!
It may be a rather trite observation..BUT as a Canadian..Have traveled..Camped in numerous Parks ( loved it )..Also owned a trailer in a Trailer park..which I wish I had done sooner... I NEVER dissed anybody..but sure did observe it happen in real time..and guess what..I never had any issues with anybody..why?? Because one needs to recognize rudeness..horrific behaviour..or worse..those who ACT like they have MORE RIGHTS than I did!!

In the end..Those Big mouthed..Elitists..assuming THEY are paying blah bah..BUT THESE same always FORGET that SO DID everybody else!!

Loud Mouthed types ( especially when drinking) usually get recognized pretty quick..SO, as for myself..Stayed away from those sorts In the meantime..IF I Ever got confronted or bullied..BELIEVE ME I was ferocious ..Whomever did such a thing..would be dealt with harshly!!!

Networking wherever you go ..requires that people LEARN and associate with neighbours ( even on camping trips..introduce yourself..be friendly..accomodate whenever you can..BUT Some Loud mouth..behaving BADLY..Needs to be marginalized..Best AVOID ..

SO IF OP's complaint is regarding not being accommodated....Just maybe OP was being a JERK..Loud Mouthed...and Ignorant to every person he dealt with..

It actually speaks more to his/her "Social Skills" Canadians in general are very accommodating..BUT Pi$$ us off..Look out..No violence..Just AVOIDANCE!!

Old 07-29-2016, 07:42 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I remember the days when everyone everywhere was the butt of somebody else's jokes somewhere. There were Polish jokes, Italian jokes, Japanese jokes, Russian jokes, British jokes, black man jokes, white man jokes, red man jokes, yellow man jokes, plus jokes about women drivers and blonde women, jokes about gays, jokes about other minorities, jokes about other countries, jokes about government officials ....... yada yada yada. The word you should have used is bigotry, not racist.

What is rude about belching? That's a no brainer. Belching is like farting, it stinks something disgusting. When you belch you blast out the odours of all the undigested foods and booze you've just consumed plus a hint of hydrochloric acid and it stinks to high heavens, it's enough to make other people gag. Who wants to be the recipient of somebody else's stinky belches blasting out over the dining table and throughout the room, anymore than who wants to be the recipient of somebody's stinky farts?

The polite thing to do is leave the table and go outside or to the washroom to belch or fart or don't belch or fart at all until you are no longer in polite society enjoying a meal together.

All societies, all cultures everywhere should observe the politer niceties and not go about stinking up other people's space. Especially when people are trying to enjoy their meal.

We all know the polite North American, Western European, Australian, etc. reaction to belching at the dinner table, but in some cultures, like China, it is the most polite thing to do. Canada is a "mosaic" where all cultures thrive, so that places two Canadians side by side at the table with a huge difference of opinion of what it means to belch at the table.

That's Canada today.
The previous Canada held European cultural views, but Canada's mosaic is a new beast.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:10 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
We all know the polite North American, Western European, Australian, etc. reaction to belching at the dinner table, but in some cultures, like China, it is the most polite thing to do. Canada is a "mosaic" where all cultures thrive, so that places two Canadians side by side at the table with a huge difference of opinion of what it means to belch at the table.

That's Canada today.
The previous Canada held European cultural views, but Canada's mosaic is a new beast.
That new beast will still consider belching at the table unacceptable though.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:36 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Remember the good old days when Ukrainians were the target of jokes, jokes that would be considered racist today if Ukrainians weren't Caucasian
Like we're not today?! Maybe not so much in Canada, but internet scumbags say much worse than what you probably have in mind about my people today. There's a lot of **** out there - and it's not a joke - and us being "white" really changes nothing. That's why I don't buy all the PC drivel about being offended easily by little jokes that poke fun at cultural traits and such things. That's not offensive at all. What is offensive is wanting to steal our land or erase our history or distinctiveness.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Like we're not today?! Maybe not so much in Canada, but internet scumbags say much worse than what you probably have in mind about my people today. There's a lot of **** out there - and it's not a joke - and us being "white" really changes nothing. That's why I don't buy all the PC drivel about being offended easily by little jokes that poke fun at cultural traits and such things. That's not offensive at all. What is offensive is wanting to steal our land or erase our history or distinctiveness.
Isn't the intentional strategy of globalization equivalent to erasing all distinctiveness of diverse culture?

Old 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Isn't the intentional strategy of globalization equivalent to erasing all distinctiveness of diverse culture?
Only the English-speaking ones.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Only the English-speaking ones.
Germany is doing a good job of watering down the German culture, and they don't speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada