Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,292,781 times

Advertisements

Or maybe so many American jerkoffs showed up, they got sick of them? When I was overseas in the UK, we thought they loved us. Not so. Too many drunken GIs pissed off the English and they did not like us showing up in their pubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,907,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It was probably more about single bottle beer sales than "winos". Here in Texas the Circle K's and 7-11s have lineups during the afternoon rush hour with people buying single beers in paper bags for the drive home. The crack was about your blatant open display and not even feeble attempt to mask it in a paper bag.

After camping there for over a decade it is suddenly a dump?
dump...no///that was harsh...The Pinery has always been one of the more rustic campgrounds we go to but we liked the larger sites and seclusion, lack of traffic
There was always a problem with raccoons but we keep clean sites and this year actually only saw one raccoon

but where we were at, 3 of us HAD to go change sites as there was NO way to level on a site that slants up AND is cocked on another angle...these are horrible trailer sites...and they were rude every time...
One couple were right behind one of the bathrooms and could smell it...again they requested a move and met bad attitudes...maybe they saw us as complaining stateys I don't know...there were 3 sites that remained empty the entire time we were there yet they wouldn't let one of us move to one to avoid the poop aroma...these bathrooms weren't kept clean, unlike in the past when we camped there...

dump was a harsh word...maybe we are getting too spoiled

Old 05-27-2015, 11:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Just got back from camping in Ontario...first trip to Canada in 2 years
used to be impressed with how nice/friendly Canadians were

this time...jeezus...people were rude, obnoxious...didn't want to do exchange rate and INSISTED we were at par which is total bs...looked at the American dollar like it was dog poop

And the Ontario Park Police or whatever the park cop wannabees are called were complete douche bags

We were NOT in an alcohol free park...we were walking back from the beach (at the Pinery in Sarnia) when one of the Ontario Rent a cops pulls up, whips out his flash light and barks "what are you doing"

We told him, and he shined his light on the beer my friend had and asked "where are you from"
we told him "Michigan" and the DB replied "I though people in Michigan carried their booze in brown paper bags" and his db partner cop wannabee laughed...then he said "dump that...NOW...in front of me"...then got back in his "squad car" and sped off into the night...I wanted to tell him "don't you know back in the states cops get killed for no reason" but thought it best to keep quiet

This is just one incident...there was just a rudeness I was not expecting in Canada...did we do something to **** off the Canadians?? We wont be back next year...

also...do you think the Pinery Provincial Park could actually level off the camp sites they assign to 35 foot travel trailers?? You cant possibly level your trailer in half these sites...
11-12 couples walking around a campsite after dark toting boxes of alcohol and you are surprised the cops made an issue out of it?, sounds to me like several of the campers probably called the cops on a rowdy bunch of drunks wandering through the campsite.I think you guys got off lightly as by what i'm seeing on American media had this occurance happened in the USA it would have involved dozens of cop cars,much small arms fire with several cadavers being the result.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:08 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,907,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
11-12 couples walking around a campsite after dark toting boxes of alcohol and you are surprised the cops made an issue out of it?, sounds to me like several of the campers probably called the cops on a rowdy bunch of drunks wandering through the campsite.I think you guys got off lightly as by what i'm seeing on American media had this occurance happened in the USA it would have involved dozens of cop cars,much small arms fire with several cadavers being the result.
the entire group wasn't on the hike...there were 8 of us, including 4 or 5 kids...and only 2 of us had ONE beer in our hand...jeez...really???

Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 8 days ago)

34,388 posts, read 16,502,517 times
Quote:
Instead of US cash, it's better to use your US debit/credit card in Canadian stores or go to an ABM to take out Canadian cash.
Why do you need an ABM (standing for anti-ballistic missile) to get cash? Is that a holdup?

I find ATM's, or automated teller machines are more effective than ABM's for a smooth transaction.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 8 days ago)

34,388 posts, read 16,502,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
LOL! Cry me a river. I can't even go 0.5 miles to Detroit and use my money, so get over it. Never mind being publicly humiliated in a public restaurant while all the dicks behind the counter hold the money up laughing and asking if it's real.
I certainly agree that courtesy and respect are a two-way street. Too few Americans have the respect for Canada that the country deserves. I wonder how they'd feel if they had to live the way Israel does next to Gaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You want to come here and do whatever the hell you want like you own the ****ing place, YOU can stay out.

I comport myself differently. I received a speeding ticket in Ontario in November 1976. People on my dorm floor laughed at me for paying the ticket. In 1986 I was stopped by an officer in Quebec for speeding. I told the officer I may have been confused by the metric system signs. I also emphasized that I did not litter and had been wearing my seat belt. I asked to be let off with a warning. He said their choices were to write a ticket or to let me go. I said "I prefer to be let go" and he said "OK." Again a little courtesy goes a long way.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:35 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,387,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why do you need an ABM (standing for anti-ballistic missile) to get cash? Is that a holdup?

I find ATM's, or automated teller machines are more effective than ABM's for a smooth transaction.
Canadians & Canadian banks call them ABMs (Automated Banking Machines) because ATM (T for teller) implies a narrower scope of just 'teller' transaction capabilities.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,354,088 times
Quote:
Canadians & Canadian banks call them ABMs (Automated Banking Machines) because ATM (T for teller) implies a narrower scope of just 'teller' transaction capabilities.
And various other countries around the world call them a variety of other names such as "cashpoints" or I've even heard the term "wallcash" as in: "I'll meet you after I hit the nearest wallcash machine." I thought that one was kinda cute.

Back in the day while visiting Scotland and using the very early Barclay's system, the locals called them "hole in the wall". I can only imagine the looks on American faces when directed to an outlaw gangs hideout from the old west to get some quick cash.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 PM

86 posts, read 125,697 times
Not that this was necessarily the defining factor but I live in Ontario and know that Sarnia has a reputation for being a scuzzhole. That could have had something to do with it.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,784,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
Not that this was necessarily the defining factor but I live in Ontario and know that Sarnia has a reputation for being a scuzzhole. That could have had something to do with it.
Pinery Provincial Park (know it quite well) is located in Grand Bend, which is a fairly nice town right on Lake Huron. It's about 45 minutes from Sarnia, so the OP is either generalizing about a good chunk of the area (Lambton County), or his sense of geography isn't the best.

And Sarnia, while not the most beautiful place in the world, is hardly a "scuzzhole."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada