Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2022, 05:50 PM

927 posts, read 586,360 times

Advertisements

Like Vancouver and Victoria are some spots that suck at handling more then 4 inches of snow before shutting down and Toronto is another.

Which parts of Canada surprisingly doesn't handle snow very well and how much can they handle usually and to what extent? Does other parts of BC further north or east are just as awful or does it get better in those directions?

Same with Toronto points outwards where the further out you go the better at handling 4 inches or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 06:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
Like Vancouver and Victoria are some spots that suck at handling more then 4 inches of snow before shutting down and Toronto is another.

Which parts of Canada surprisingly doesn't handle snow very well and how much can they handle usually and to what extent? Does other parts of BC further north or east are just as awful or does it get better in those directions?

Same with Toronto points outwards where the further out you go the better at handling 4 inches or more?
All of the above according to "whom" we might ask???

Old 02-09-2022, 10:54 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post

The structure of the last sentence makes it difficult for me to understand.

I was impressed with Toronto and the area this winter when we got 50-60cm in a single night. Within 24 hours, roads were perfect and travel was back to normal (that may not include smaller side streets.) The Golden Horseshoe generally handles snow pretty well, but there are always a few morons out on the roads ignoring the weather conditions and driving like it’s a sunny summer’s day. There are always lots of accidents when it snows even a little because Gina and Gerald got a new SUV and think that means they can drive 120 on snow-covered roads. There’s also Karen and Ken who think their BMW/Mercedes/Audi grants them omnipotence on the roads.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:24 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,567,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
The structure of the last sentence makes it difficult for me to understand.

I was impressed with Toronto and the area this winter when we got 50-60cm in a single night. Within 24 hours, roads were perfect and travel was back to normal (that may not include smaller side streets.) The Golden Horseshoe generally handles snow pretty well, but there are always a few morons out on the roads ignoring the weather conditions and driving like it’s a sunny summer’s day. There are always lots of accidents when it snows even a little because Gina and Gerald got a new SUV and think that means they can drive 120 on snow-covered roads. There’s also Karen and Ken who think their BMW/Mercedes/Audi grants them omnipotence on the roads.
i think it was a veiled dig at Mel Lastman calling in the Army, years ago

Old 02-10-2022, 12:53 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I was impressed with Toronto and the area this winter when we got 50-60cm in a single night. Within 24 hours, roads were perfect and travel was back to normal (that may not include smaller side streets.)
I lived in Toronto for over 40 years, and that was my experience. A "bare pavement policy" for main streets within 24 hours, and 48 hours for all the side streets. Sure, one day a snowstorm dumped a foot of snow in an afternoon, and it took me five hours to drive back home; but the next day, my morning drive was the regular 30-minute commute, same as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i think it was a veiled dig at Mel Lastman calling in the Army, years ago
Yes, that was January, 1999; when Toronto was the victim of two colliding snowstorms in two days, and four feet (not inches, feet) were dumped on the city. The army helped clear out the plows' berms that made side streets off main routes impassable. But with the army's help, things were pretty much back to normal in a couple of days.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:35 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,567,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Yes, that was January, 1999; when Toronto was the victim of two colliding snowstorms in two days, and four feet (not inches, feet) were dumped on the city. The army helped clear out the plows' berms that made side streets off main routes impassable. But with the army's help, things were pretty much back to normal in a couple of days.
i feel a lot of non Torontonians still tease about that but to be fair they would probably have done the same, it was an extreme event

Old 02-10-2022, 11:18 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
In Vancouver's case there are a few reasons.

It doesn't snow in the city every year. When it does, it may last a day or two. Lasting a week is rarer. It may be one snow event a season, or four. Large snowfalls have happened but the last one that I can really remember was in 2008 or 2009?

So because of the above, investing in snow removal equipment of any sizeable quantity isn't worth it. Most of it would sit idle, and cost money just for the upkeep until it was needed. I believe the city just uses contractors..but I'd have to check.

Add into that, the type of snow that Vancouver usually gets. It's very wet and mushy mostly. Then that freezes overnight, and perhaps another dusting on top of that. Literally making it a skating rink. The main roads are usually salted, but rarely the secondary roads. Then you have the hills...or mountains. Going up or down on ice is tricky even for the most experienced drivers, even from Toronto

The good thing, is those icy roads don't last long.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:10 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I lived in Toronto for over 40 years, and that was my experience. A "bare pavement policy" for main streets within 24 hours, and 48 hours for all the side streets. Sure, one day a snowstorm dumped a foot of snow in an afternoon, and it took me five hours to drive back home; but the next day, my morning drive was the regular 30-minute commute, same as always.

I wonder how the Prairies would handle similar amounts? Although the Prairies are generally colder, and may have longer lasting snow cover as a result, their winters are also much drier - I don't think they get large snow falls all that often?

But yeah, Toronto handles 4 inches just fine. Even 8 inches is not much of a big deal and probably won't result in school cancellations. 12 inches is more likely to result in schools being closed for the day, but even then, school cancellations aren't guaranteed, it depends what time of day the snow falls. The 16-24 inches that the Toronto area got a month ago was cleared from roads within a day. Sidewalks took a couple days longer in my area though.

Montreal gets large snowfalls on a regular basis, so they're very well equipped to deal with them. I'd assume Ottawa and Quebec City are the same, but I'm less familiar with those.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I'll comment on something that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's citizens arming themselves with snow shovels and brooms and sometimes little snowblowers.

Here in BC at least and I'm sure probably other places too it's the law and a responsibility of all residents and/or building owners to keep public sidewalks clear and safe in front of their residences in their neighbourhoods. It's the same responsibility for all merchants and other business offices in shopping areas too. Fines can be leveled if the law isn't complied with. So citizens shovelling and scattering any necessary salt or sand down on sidewalks can be a commonly seen daily activity in every community every day that it snows. Everyone takes it in stride and knows what needs to be done.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada