U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 PM

7,483 posts, read 6,712,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm not a big fan of Keurig. I've used them before--they seem to be popular things to put in hotel rooms, and I like my morning coffee. But at home and in my office, I'd rather make a big pot of drip coffee, and just drink from that all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm with ya on this one Chevy!! I love my Cubita coffee and good old drip coffee maker... I've perfected making my perfect cup...
Drip coffee maker for me too, 99% of the time. I make one small pot of coffee each morning (probably equals 3 measured cups) that fills one very big coffee cup, and that's it for me for the day. The drip coffee maker is convenient and quick for in the morning and gives me my caffeine fix and gets me functioning ready to face the day.

But for a rare special treat some evenings, or if I want to make a special after dinner coffee treat for guests I haul out the old enamelled camp fire percolater and perk the coffee in that the traditional way complete with the addition of roasted egg shells, salt and aromatic oils or herbs or chocolate. It takes a wee bit extra timing (and a good sense of smell) to make it just perfect but it's worth it and I've yet to discover any other method that beats what an old fashioned percolator does for making great coffee. Yummy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 AM

2,225 posts, read 1,781,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I use instant coffee - the generic brand, usually, when it's one sale, but I'll get a name brand if it's on sale, although the sale price is usually non-sale price for the generic brand. Tastes like crp, but it's coffee, and gets the job done. Not sure why people buy expensive coffee that tastes like something other than coffee. I suppose it's the corporate brainwashing. To be honest, I can't stand TH.
Interestingly, I've spent time staying with friends in their homes in both the UK and Australia, and instant coffee (usually Nescafe) was preferred in those homes. I'm unsure why, but an Aussie friend explained that drip coffee, coffee for percolators, etc., was expensive, as was the drip maker/percolator itself. All you needed for instant coffee was a kettle, which had the added bonus of also being able to make tea. I enjoyed my visits, but I was glad to get home to my drip machine and my Maxwell House.

I don't mind the Tim Hortons that is sold at my local supermarket, but it costs far more than anything else there. For me, it's either Maxwell House (which is on sale, usually at half-price, once a month), or Folger's. As you note, it's coffee and it gets the job done.

I will say that I do like the one of the house blends at the coffee shop where I get a coffee every afternoon. It's name is "Spitfire Joe," and as the name would imply, it's perfect for those mid-afternoon doldrums.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:13 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,256,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You're probably right about Keurig being the problem, jambo. And, believe me, I googled the location of the nearest Timmie's as soon as we got to TN.

Timmie's is all over Michigan, Ohio, and NY state, and they've moved as far south as Kentucky. But there's not one in TN.

I'd also like to know when Harveys will make its entrance into the US market, because I really think they could make some headway.

Thanks for the info!

NO!

If you want the deliciousness of Harvey's, you have to come back home. I'll buy you an original, with bacon, lettuce, mustard, ketchup, pickles, cheese, and peppers on it (if you want peppers). Onion rings, and some deep fried pickles.

mmmmmm

Damn it....why did I do that to myself?!?!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:29 AM

Ah, Harvey's. Where your hamburger is a beautiful thing.

Mine is just mustard, relish, pickles (2) and tomatoes (2). Some fries and a Pepsi, and I'm a happy guy.

NDG, they are few and far between here in western Canada. I'd like to see them make inroads into Tennessee, but I'd like to see a lot more locations in western Canada first. I hope you understand.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:15 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,256,177 times
Well, I was just trying to make her drool a little. lol

I'm a mustard, ketchup, pickles (3), and bacon guy. Onion rings and a root beer, orange pop, or nothing at all, because Pepsi tastes like flat Coke. lol

Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 AM

12,811 posts, read 8,879,791 times
I'm a drip man myself...let me rephrase that. I like drip coffee, it's fast and easy. I don't like instant..at least the powered kind.

Harvery's...there was one downtown years ago, but it closed. Then there was one at the airport...still there I think. Now they have reopened one downtown.....must get there. I do like their burgers.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:22 PM

5,745 posts, read 3,244,813 times
Quote:

Mine is just mustard, relish, pickles (2) and tomatoes (2). Some fries and a Pepsi, and I'm a happy guy.

NDG, they are few and far between here in western Canada. I'd like to see them make inroads into Tennessee, but I'd like to see a lot more locations in western Canada first. I hope you understand.
You're being very selfish, ya know that?

But, oh, that Harvey's burger you describe sounds great. After talking about burgers on this thread, I was dying for one after a run yesterday, so I got one at Sonic and thoroughly enjoyed it. Their burgers are very good. Maybe not quite as good as Harvey's (?), but a close runner-up.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:24 PM

10,932 posts, read 23,288,484 times
Quote:

Swiss Chalet seems to be partnering with them where they have take out for both Harvey's hamburgers and Swiss chalet so you can get a Burger and a 1/4 chicken dinner with Chalet Sauce and a slice of pecan pie.

Dang it why do we talk food at/around lunch time

Old 06-02-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You're being very selfish, ya know that?

But, oh, that Harvey's burger you describe sounds great. After talking about burgers on this thread, I was dying for one after a run yesterday, so I got one at Sonic and thoroughly enjoyed it. Their burgers are very good. Maybe not quite as good as Harvey's (?), but a close runner-up.
There you go. You know Harvey's and Sonic--but I don't know Sonic at all, so I cannot compare.

My location has only one Harvey's, and the local help doesn't quite get the concept--I've stepped up to the counter, only to find that my burger has been covered in every condiment possible, because that's what McDonald's and Burger King and Wendy's does. Okay, but that's not what Harvey's does. The local staff will go back and fix, but they grumble, and as I said, they don't quite get it.

I was in Toronto last week, and it was a treat to have a proper Harvey's meal. My burger was perfect and to order.

Oh well. NDG, should you ever visit here, I would be happy to treat you to lunch at our Harvey's--and we will make sure that our burgers only have what we want on them. Burgers are, after all, a beautiful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada