U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Canada accept American refugees in some cases?
Yes, some Americans suffer to the point of needing refuge abroad 14 31.82%
No, even the worst off Americans aren't bad off enough to need to come to Canada 30 68.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:41 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,403,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Why would a U.S. citizen voluntarily move to Ghana? Have you been to Africa? Fascinating continent, but I would guess that everyone you meet there will laugh at the American who voluntarily chose to move to Ghana.
While hardly a mass movement, black Americans relocating to Ghana is a thing:

Why Ghana is fast becoming a hub for African-Americans | theGrio

Back to Africa? For some African-Americans, the answer is yes - CSMonitor.com

Ghana opens its arms to diaspora in Brazil and beyond | Afua Hirsch | Global development | The Guardian

For African-Americans in Ghana, The Grass Isn't Always Greener - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,278,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
While hardly a mass movement, black Americans relocating to Ghana is a thing:
I seriously doubt many Americans are permanently moving to Ghana. Maybe upper class African Americans spend a year there or something, especially post-college or during retirement, just like people spend a year in Florence or Bogota or wherever, but there is no real first world economy, nor any of the things most people take for granted living in a developed nation.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:35 PM

457 posts, read 509,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think there are a lot of people in the United States that are so systematically disenfranchised that they deserve refugee status. I wouldn't put myself in that category by any means (though I do think I would thrive better and have more of a shot at prosperity in Canada), but there are people in places like New Orleans that don't stand any chance in America, but could probably thrive in Canada.

Why aren't Americans ever considered for refugee status in Canada, simply because the US is classified as a high-income country? I think Black Americans especially could make a good case since they are being systematically persecuted by the police and prison industry. Is refugee status only for the absolute worst places like Somalia, Syria, Haiti and Sudan?
Well, that "fear of persecution based on RACE" part would automatically qualify most "black" looking people from the USA. And during the days of slavery, Canada was exactly that: the end of the "Underground Railroad" for escaping US slaves.

The thing now is, the Canadian government is so bat-ass stupid that you'd have to bend over backwards and jump through firey hoops to prove that your LIFE, not just your livelihood or chance of ever EARNING a living, were actually threatened back in the USA, not just "perceived threats" and "it's all in your head" and all that BS nonsense that Canadian white people tend to dish out.

Really, the US is still classified as a "high income" country - you could have advanced degrees coming out your ears and be LOW or almost-NO income due to mainly skin colour.

Of course, being First Nations, I'm pretty much screwed in either country.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:51 PM

32 posts, read 23,483 times
No. There are Canadians in poverty too just as there is Americans. Why would you assume "the grass is greener"?

If America was so racist why would they have a black president? I sympathize with the poor blacks in Baltimore protesting too but they seem to all be high school drop outs with little ambition. Of course that equates poverty all around.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 AM

18,350 posts, read 10,418,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Well, that "fear of persecution based on RACE" part would automatically qualify most "black" looking people from the USA. And during the days of slavery, Canada was exactly that: the end of the "Underground Railroad" for escaping US slaves.

The thing now is, the Canadian government is so bat-ass stupid that you'd have to bend over backwards and jump through firey hoops to prove that your LIFE, not just your livelihood or chance of ever EARNING a living, were actually threatened back in the USA, not just "perceived threats" and "it's all in your head" and all that BS nonsense that Canadian white people tend to dish out.

Really, the US is still classified as a "high income" country - you could have advanced degrees coming out your ears and be LOW or almost-NO income due to mainly skin colour.

Of course, being First Nations, I'm pretty much screwed in either country.
The real problem with "BS nonsense" is it tends to follow the laws of gravity and always flow to the lowest points of elevation and collect there.

Makes for very uncomfortable living if you dig a hole where you live and later realize you're living next to a manure pile.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:52 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,484,379 times
Quote:
I'm not saying Canada should take ALL of them, of course. I just mean that if you take people from Haiti or Sudan why not take people from really bad parts of the United States too? It's not all roses here we definitely have third world enclaves. It seems like Canada buys into the "first world problems" meme, or something.
It costs money. They cant take everyone. Also there is a bigger need from places sych as South Sudan.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,484,379 times
Quote:
I don't think Canada has a similar or higher proportion of destitute people than the US though. At least people aren't screwed if their body is injured or sick, or their car breaks down up there. Not that Canada is paradise but I think they definitely treat their unfortunate better than America does overall.
If your car breaks down in Canada you are screwed.. The government wont repair it for you.
Where are you getting your facts?
Ive lived both the US and Canada.. Btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or