U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Canada accept American refugees in some cases?
Yes, some Americans suffer to the point of needing refuge abroad 14 31.82%
No, even the worst off Americans aren't bad off enough to need to come to Canada 30 68.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:25 AM

34,401 posts, read 41,509,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think a lot of poor whites should be able to qualify too. I apologize for missing those eggshells though!
You are expecting a country with a population of 35 million people(Canada)to take care of the needs of up to 30-40 million disenfranchised people from a country with a population of 350 million people(USA),how can that possibly work..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:42 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,722,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are expecting a country with a population of 35 million people(Canada)to take care of the needs of up to 30-40 million disenfranchised people from a country with a population of 350 million people(USA),how can that possibly work..
I'm not saying Canada should take ALL of them, of course. I just mean that if you take people from Haiti or Sudan why not take people from really bad parts of the United States too? It's not all roses here we definitely have third world enclaves. It seems like Canada buys into the "first world problems" meme, or something.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:47 AM

7,265 posts, read 6,594,669 times
Quote:
I think you are just looking to be offended, honestly. I didn't mean that as racist at all, I just meant that if some person from the ghetto felt like they were oppressed in America, something that IMO is actually quite reasonable or at the very least food for thought, why let the person from Haiti in and not them? Some American slums are almost as bad as Port-Au-Prince.
Quote:
I think a lot of poor whites should be able to qualify too. I apologize for missing those eggshells though!
I think you're missing an important point. The person from Haiti is trapped on a tiny island with no place else on the island to escape to and be safe. Likewise with many other refugees from other impoverished countries, where there is no place nearby for them to escape to and be safe, to not starve and stay alive.

In USA, no matter how oppressed a person (of any color, class or creed) might feel they are, no matter what their slummy ghetto or poverty-stricken circumstances may be, they still have the privilege of always having some kinds of social and medical benefits, education, shelter and food available to them and their children. In USA there is always a safe place somewhere else in USA for them to escape to and find safety or create a safe environment and new life for themself where they won't be terrorized, tortured, starved and will have protection. USA is a HUGE country with the greatest of possibilities and potentials for people all across the nation and if a person is motivated to make a better life for themself instead of expecting somebody else to fix their problems for them, and if the person doesn't like where they're at they can get up and go to a better place somewhere else within the country.

The guy from Haiti or some other impoverished war-stricken country that starving, terrorized and tortured refugees come from doesn't have those privileges, benefits, opportunities, protections and safe havens that all Americans have. Therefore they come first in being given a help up because they need it more.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-02-2015 at 02:58 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 AM

8,602 posts, read 11,088,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sorry for thread drift, but what are you talking about? Vancouver Island has never had a Premier, only the province (B.C.) has a Premier. The first Premier of B.C. was John Foster McCreight, an Irishman from County Tyrone in Ireland.

Are you by any chance thinking of one of the east coast island provinces instead and just got the island name wrong?

Heck if you want to talk about Haiti, refugees and success stories, why look that far back when you have Michaelle Jean, who made it to, quite literally, the highest office in the land.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:48 AM

21,952 posts, read 27,371,773 times
This is an interesting article and database:

Database: Refugee acceptance rates by country - Canada - CBC News

Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
What a stupid question.

The poverty or whatever mistreatment of "disfranchised Americans" can't be compared with what people under real poverty elsewhere are suffering. That's the reason.

You think the blacks are poor? According to United Nation, 270 millions of Indians lived below poverty line of $1.25 a day (PPP) in 2011-2012. 270m, what's 85% of the entire US population! How many "disfranchised Americans" live blow $1.25 a day? It is like a 12 year old girl crying because mommy doesn't buy her an Ipad mini.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,722,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What a stupid question.

The poverty or whatever mistreatment of "disfranchised Americans" can't be compared with what people under real poverty elsewhere are suffering. That's the reason.

You think the blacks are poor? According to United Nation, 270 millions of Indians lived below poverty line of $1.25 a day (PPP) in 2011-2012. 270m, what's 85% of the entire US population! How many "disfranchised Americans" live blow $1.25 a day? It is like a 12 year old girl crying because mommy doesn't buy her an Ipad mini.
Some of those ghettos are just as bad as anywhere in India. You also have to consider that India has a much cheaper cost of living, and not as high crime as the typical American black ghetto.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:17 AM

18,296 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Well this one takes me back to a Caribbean cruise we took in 79 and one of the stops on Christmas day being the Island of Guadeloupe. We grabbed a local taxi and asked him to take us to one of the secluded beaches of the island and found ourselves amongst a good number of other people from the cruise who had the same idea.

The beach had a number of local children spying our Holland America Lines tote bags and knowing from experience those bags commonly held fruit from the daily bowl left for us in our room, they would approach and ask for the fruit with many of us assuming vocally that would likely form the major part of their X-mas day celebration or basic meal.

A nearby pavilion had a stall for fresh caught/cooked lobster along with cold beers. When we went over and availed ourselves of that, we found ourselves sharing a picnic table with a black doctor and his wife from New York. We chatted for a bit so that his comfort level had reached a point where he offered: "my wife and I couldn't help but overhear your comments regarding the fruit and must tell you your sympathies are misplaced. These children can get off this island and make a future for themselves the same way I got off mine and became a doctor."

This doctor was from Haiti and left when he was 14 by HIMSELF.

I've never forgotten that man and his complete lack of empathy for those kids on that beach.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:31 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Quote:
I'm not saying Canada should take ALL of them, of course. I just mean that if you take people from Haiti or Sudan why not take people from really bad parts of the United States too? It's not all roses here we definitely have third world enclaves. It seems like Canada buys into the "first world problems" meme, or something.
You should do a Google search on the conditions many of our First Nations live in. We have third world enclaves too.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:52 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:
Some of those ghettos are just as bad as anywhere in India. You also have to consider that India has a much cheaper cost of living, and not as high crime as the typical American black ghetto.
$1.25 is quoted in PPP.
If you think the American slums are really as bad as those in poor third world countries, you should really visit those in poor third world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or