U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Canada accept American refugees in some cases?
Yes, some Americans suffer to the point of needing refuge abroad 14 31.82%
No, even the worst off Americans aren't bad off enough to need to come to Canada 30 68.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM

8,565 posts, read 11,062,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
As far as I know that is not entirely correct.

United States is the #1 nationality of unauthorized foreign workers caught by the CBSA (54 found in 2012)

That does not necessarily mean that they are the highest number of illegals in the country

By comparison, only 15 Chinese have been found working illegally in Canada in the same year, 22 Indians and 19 Irish......do you believe these numbers??

Do not get me wrong, I believe that there are many many times over over more illegal Americans in Canada than the ones caught...not so sure they are the highest percentage of illegals.
Ease of access alone would make it my guess. Every other country has to either get through a Canadian port/airport, or through the US first, and then into Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 PM

625 posts, read 1,187,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, I thought of that possibility, but before Vancouver Island Colony joined with the Province, it had Governors appointed - not Premiers - and there was only ever 3 Governors in total at that. To the best of my knowledge all 3 Governors were basically blue blood Englishmen of connection who'd been born and raised in England, none were Creole.
James Douglas was Governor of the Colony (thanks) of Vancouver Island as well as first Governor of the Colony of British Columbia. He was born in British Guyana, the son of a Scottish man and a Creole woman from Barbados. Victoria actually has quite a multicultural early history, which I know doesn't jive with the Tourist Board's invention of "more English than the English." During the 1850s, when the Dredd Scott decision and the Fugitive Slave Act made free blacks uncomfortable, Douglas, seeing American expansion into the Oregon Territory (of which BC was a part), invited African Americans from California to settle in Victoria. Several hundred people came (perhaps the OPs fabled refugees?), and as I read it, at that point 1 in 4 Victorians were black and their militia was critical in defending the new colony.

(Not to mention immigration from California saw the establishment of a Jewish community, with Victoria's second mayor being Jewish. And of course, we have Canada's oldest Chinatown, established before the Chinese Exclusion Act).

True, these communities did not grow significantly until more recently and only now do I feel this community is really starting to be diverse. Of course, at the time of pnfederation BCs population was 70% First Nations.

Not perhaps relevant to the OPs question, but I find this history fairly interesting!

Last edited by docwatson; 06-02-2015 at 10:54 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 10:51 PM

625 posts, read 1,187,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Can I ask a question?

What do the First Nation people do? Do most of them actually work (farming, manufacturing etc.) like most of us? If they are that poor, what prevents them from coming to the cities to seek education and employment? I am asking because I heard FN don't much all day, and their lives largely depend on government subsidies. Not sure if it is true.
The employment rate of First Nations people of core working age (25-54) was 60.4% in 2006. For those living off reserve, it was 66.3%. (Stats Canada). Anecdotally, I've heard that here in Vancouver Island, the collapse of the logging and mill industry hit the first nations pretty hard as it was a big source of employment.

Some reserves are quite remote while others are near cities, so this would likely affect opportunities for jobs. Many people have come to cities. I cant say i know much, but here in BC i note that many reserves are quite small, so im not sure they provided significant opportunities to transition to farming. Another key part of the history you should know about are th e residential schools - an entire generation was basically taken from their families, had their language taken away and were often put into abusive environments. Its something that has affected the parents of many of today's youth.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:05 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,147,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Some of those ghettos are just as bad as anywhere in India. You also have to consider that India has a much cheaper cost of living, and not as high crime as the typical American black ghetto.

The internet at your fingers, and you say something like that?

Mumbai, India.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...33394049099468

Can you find me something similar in the US? No. Don't even bother. Google "slums in USA", and you'll come up with pictures of Indian slums, superimposed with an American skyline.

If I remember right, there is a whole segment of society in India, basically called rag pickers. That's the only way to sustain themselves, by rooting through the garbage, salvaging and selling what they can. They are not acknowledged for their work, are paid next to nothing, nobody knows them, are not associated with, etc, etc. Something like 300,000 in Mumbai alone. 120,000 are kids below the age of 14.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...33394738746324

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 06-02-2015 at 11:15 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 01:03 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Americans are our largest group of illegals in Canada.
I think most people with a basic knowledge of geography could figure that out, but what i said is the low number of American citizens illegally trying to enter Canada.

Not "who is the largest number of illegal immigrants in Canada"

Old 06-03-2015, 01:36 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Quote:
I think there are a lot of people in the United States that are so systematically disenfranchised that they deserve refugee status. I wouldn't put myself in that category by any means (though I do think I would thrive better and have more of a shot at prosperity in Canada), but there are people in places like New Orleans that don't stand any chance in America, but could probably thrive in Canada.

Why aren't Americans ever considered for refugee status in Canada, simply because the US is classified as a high-income country? I think Black Americans especially could make a good case since they are being systematically persecuted by the police and prison industry. Is refugee status only for the absolute worst places like Somalia, Syria, Haiti and Sudan?
What exactly is it you think Canada can do for Americas poor and disenfranchised and why is it America cant address its own problems concerning this demographic?

Old 06-03-2015, 03:48 PM

3,019 posts, read 2,692,354 times
Quote:
I think there are a lot of people in the United States that are so systematically disenfranchised that they deserve refugee status. I wouldn't put myself in that category by any means (though I do think I would thrive better and have more of a shot at prosperity in Canada), but there are people in places like New Orleans that don't stand any chance in America, but could probably thrive in Canada.

Why aren't Americans ever considered for refugee status in Canada, simply because the US is classified as a high-income country? I think Black Americans especially could make a good case since they are being systematically persecuted by the police and prison industry. Is refugee status only for the absolute worst places like Somalia, Syria, Haiti and Sudan?
Racism and race problems exist in Canada too. You think blacks make up a disproportionate amount of the prison population in the USA, but try the native population in Canada. 1/3 of all women in Canadian jails are native Indian, even though they only make up about 3% of population. Maybe they should seek refugee status in the USA.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:19 PM

12,668 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think most people with a basic knowledge of geography could figure that out, but what i said is the low number of American citizens illegally trying to enter Canada.

Not "who is the largest number of illegal immigrants in Canada"
Well everything is relative and actual numbers are hard to come by. It's just that the way your phrased your comment, "Probably because of the low number of American citizens illegally trying to enter Canada." made it sound you were saying in relation to other illegal immigrants in Canada.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:23 PM

12,668 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Racism and race problems exist in Canada too. You think blacks make up a disproportionate amount of the prison population in the USA, but try the native population in Canada. 1/3 of all women in Canadian jails are native Indian, even though they only make up about 3% of population. Maybe they should seek refugee status in the USA.
It's not much better for them down there.

Native Americans are the unseen victims of a broken US justice system - Quartz

Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 PM

230 posts, read 471,878 times
Quote:

I've thought this for over the past decade. Although people typically in the "global south" are more deserving of refugee status in countries like Canada than americans are, people who are suffering in their own country (even if it's a first world nation) should be able to claim refugee status elsewhere. Or even if not that, they should be allowed some easier, more reasonable immigration path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or