U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Canada accept American refugees in some cases?
Yes, some Americans suffer to the point of needing refuge abroad 14 31.82%
No, even the worst off Americans aren't bad off enough to need to come to Canada 30 68.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2015, 03:17 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,354 posts, read 6,643,926 times
Reputation: 14459

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

What exactly is it you think Canada can do for Americas poor and disenfranchised and why is it America cant address its own problems concerning this demographic?
They were such simple straightforward questions and yet nobody who thinks Canada should accept American refugees has been willing or able to provide logical answers.

So what do you think? Could it be that the people who think Canada should accept American refugees are simply irresponsible and lazy people who want to dump either themselves or their own society's problems on somebody else to take care of so they can shirk their own responsibilities?

If nobody can provide reasonable answers to the question of exactly what Canada can provide for poor and disenfranchised Americans that America can't already provide for them better, then the subject is not even worth considering.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2015, 06:01 PM
 
498 posts, read 427,361 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think there are a lot of people in the United States that are so systematically disenfranchised that they deserve refugee status. I wouldn't put myself in that category by any means (though I do think I would thrive better and have more of a shot at prosperity in Canada), but there are people in places like New Orleans that don't stand any chance in America, but could probably thrive in Canada.

Why aren't Americans ever considered for refugee status in Canada, simply because the US is classified as a high-income country? I think Black Americans especially could make a good case since they are being systematically persecuted by the police and prison industry. Is refugee status only for the absolute worst places like Somalia, Syria, Haiti and Sudan?

Oh please, why doesn't the USA except refugees from Canada? The commies are about to take over and rob me blind. I have a residence in AZ for the last 10 years and have 400g in a US bank account..let me in for Christ sake! The US and Canada should set up an exchange network. Where people can go online and find someone who wants to exchange citizenship. The US would be by far the winner as they would acquire all the hard working independent Canadians while Canada would get all the lazy laggards who would fit right in with the Canadian "culture".

Last edited by Wally Sconce; 06-07-2015 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 10:45 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,736,562 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If I remember right, there is a whole segment of society in India, basically called rag pickers. That's the only way to sustain themselves, by rooting through the garbage, salvaging and selling what they can. They are not acknowledged for their work, are paid next to nothing, nobody knows them, are not associated with, etc, etc.
We have people like that in America, except they collect cans instead of rags...

You should visit America again soon if you haven't recently, this country has changed a lot in the past 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
2,540 posts, read 3,286,990 times
Reputation: 6774
Magnatomicflex lives in Windsor, Ontario, about a mile from downtown Detroit. I am sure he has been IN the USA a lot.

He can see the Detroit skyline from his house. Can you ?

jim b.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 01:23 PM
 
3,156 posts, read 2,082,654 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
We have people like that in America, except they collect cans instead of rags...

You should visit America again soon if you haven't recently, this country has changed a lot in the past 8 years.

There are people collecting cans with shopping carts in wealthy neighborhoods in Vancouver BC.....


If you really try to compare third world slums to even the worst ghetto in America, you seriously have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,354 posts, read 6,643,926 times
Reputation: 14459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
We have people like that in America, except they collect cans instead of rags...

You should visit America again soon if you haven't recently, this country has changed a lot in the past 8 years.
Canada has desperate people like that too. Not as many as in America of course but then Canada only has 1/10th the population of America. If you've been to Canada then you have to have seen these poor people. The majority of them are on the west coast because that's the only place in Canada where they can survive the Canadian winters outdoors and homeless people from across Canada migrate to the west coast for that reason. But there are still those who manage to survive in other parts of Canada and every city has them. They are penniless, homeless people, some are illegal immigrants from America who didn't understand what they were letting themselves in for when they came but most are Canadians. People of all ages, teenage runaways, middle aged and old people, criminals, drug addicts or mentally handicapped people who, for one reason or another, have become the dregs of society.

You see them every day pushing stolen shopping carts or baby buggies that contain all their worldly possessions. They collect cans and bottles and pieces of metal out of ditches and recycling bins. They go dumpster diving or searching through sidewalk garbage cans looking for food, discarded clothing or any other item they can trade with other homeless, or exchange at a recycling center for cash. They wander through neighbourhoods looking for things to steal. Sometimes they station themselves near busy intersections and sidewalks begging for money for food, or begging for cigarettes. They collect discarded cigarette butts from ashtrays in sidewalk garbage cans or from curbsides so they can take them apart to dry and re-use the little bit of scorched tobacco left near the filters. They seek shelter from the inclement weather in enclosed doorways, vacant lots and ravines, abandoned buildings, behind bushes in neighbourhood alleys, in culverts and under bridges or overpasses, sometimes inside unlocked dumpsters. They create enclosed shelters for themselves using their shopping carts and pieces of cardboard and old tarps or shower curtains.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM
 
3,156 posts, read 2,082,654 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canada has desperate people like that too. Not as many as in America of course but then Canada only has 1/10th the population of America. If you've been to Canada then you have to have seen these poor people. The majority of them are on the west coast because that's the only place in Canada where they can survive the Canadian winters outdoors and homeless people from across Canada migrate to the west coast for that reason. But there are still those who manage to survive in other parts of Canada and every city has them. They are penniless, homeless people, some are illegal immigrants from America who didn't understand what they were letting themselves in for when they came but most are Canadians. People of all ages, teenage runaways, middle aged and old people, criminals, drug addicts or mentally handicapped people who, for one reason or another, have become the dregs of society.

You see them every day pushing stolen shopping carts or baby buggies that contain all their worldly possessions. They collect cans and bottles and pieces of metal out of ditches and recycling bins. They go dumpster diving or searching through sidewalk garbage cans looking for food, discarded clothing or any other item they can trade with other homeless, or exchange at a recycling center for cash. They wander through neighbourhoods looking for things to steal. Sometimes they station themselves near busy intersections and sidewalks begging for money for food, or begging for cigarettes. They collect discarded cigarette butts from ashtrays in sidewalk garbage cans or from curbsides so they can take them apart to dry and re-use the little bit of scorched tobacco left near the filters. They seek shelter from the inclement weather in enclosed doorways, vacant lots and ravines, abandoned buildings, behind bushes in neighbourhood alleys, in culverts and under bridges or overpasses, sometimes inside unlocked dumpsters. They create enclosed shelters for themselves using their shopping carts and pieces of cardboard and old tarps or shower curtains.

.

I think our friend Mini-apple-less has a very idealized imagine of Canada in his/her mind.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 07:39 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,736,562 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canada has desperate people like that too. Not as many as in America of course but then Canada only has 1/10th the population of America. If you've been to Canada then you have to have seen these poor people. The majority of them are on the west coast because that's the only place in Canada where they can survive the Canadian winters outdoors and homeless people from across Canada migrate to the west coast for that reason. But there are still those who manage to survive in other parts of Canada and every city has them. They are penniless, homeless people, some are illegal immigrants from America who didn't understand what they were letting themselves in for when they came but most are Canadians. People of all ages, teenage runaways, middle aged and old people, criminals, drug addicts or mentally handicapped people who, for one reason or another, have become the dregs of society.

You see them every day pushing stolen shopping carts or baby buggies that contain all their worldly possessions. They collect cans and bottles and pieces of metal out of ditches and recycling bins. They go dumpster diving or searching through sidewalk garbage cans looking for food, discarded clothing or any other item they can trade with other homeless, or exchange at a recycling center for cash. They wander through neighbourhoods looking for things to steal. Sometimes they station themselves near busy intersections and sidewalks begging for money for food, or begging for cigarettes. They collect discarded cigarette butts from ashtrays in sidewalk garbage cans or from curbsides so they can take them apart to dry and re-use the little bit of scorched tobacco left near the filters. They seek shelter from the inclement weather in enclosed doorways, vacant lots and ravines, abandoned buildings, behind bushes in neighbourhood alleys, in culverts and under bridges or overpasses, sometimes inside unlocked dumpsters. They create enclosed shelters for themselves using their shopping carts and pieces of cardboard and old tarps or shower curtains.

.
I don't think Canada has a similar or higher proportion of destitute people than the US though. At least people aren't screwed if their body is injured or sick, or their car breaks down up there. Not that Canada is paradise but I think they definitely treat their unfortunate better than America does overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 10:02 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,354 posts, read 6,643,926 times
Reputation: 14459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I don't think Canada has a similar or higher proportion of destitute people than the US though.
By comparison with USA I don't think Canada has a higher proportion of destitute people either ..... on a per capita basis ..... but I'm pretty sure it's a lot higher than you think.

Quote:
At least people aren't screwed if their body is injured or sick, or their car breaks down up there.
People who are homeless and destitute are screwed if their body is injured or sick. They just die. They're homeless, they don't have addresses, they don't have incomes or pay taxes, they don't collect welfare, they don't have official ID's with an official address on it, they aren't in the social system. Then too bad, so sad, they don't have health care insurance either. The only health care they qualify for is if they're dying or critically injured and get taken into the ER. Illegal immigrants don't have any kind of health care coverage and destitute people who are illegal immigrants who end up in the ER get deported after they're treated.

You are thinking too much like an entitled American. In Canada destitute, homeless people don't own cars. If they do own any kind of transportation it's a bicycle that they have to guard with their life. Literally. They don't qualify for car insurance even if they can scrape together the money for insurance because they're homeless and destitute with no official address. Most poor people who are on pensions or on welfare and do have homes with an official address don't have cars either because they don't have enough money, they can't afford to maintain or insure a car. So cars breaking down is not an issue because they don't exist for poor people. Poor people who do manage to maintain a car are just as screwed as the homeless and destitute if their car breaks down. They don't have money for expensive repairs. If their car breaks down and they have no money for repairs the best they can do is try to sell it as is to someone able to repair it, or send it to the wreckers and collect $200 for the scrap value of it.


Quote:
Not that Canada is paradise but I think they definitely treat their unfortunate better than America does overall.
I'd really like to know what you are basing that on. So far neither you or anyone else in favour of American refugees has been able to offer an explanation of what it is you think Canada can or does do better for its own unfortunates that America can't or doesn't do better. If you don't have any explanations then I think you have some kind of unrealistic entitlement attitude going on and are entertaining a weird fantasy in your head.

Can't you or others offer that explanation of what you factually know to be better? This is the third time that the explanation has been requested and the request is being ignored, apparently in favour of wanting to believe the fantasy.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,354 posts, read 6,643,926 times
Reputation: 14459
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I think our friend Mini-apple-less has a very idealized imagine of Canada in his/her mind.....
I know, but if you look at the poll results it's obvious that he/she isn't the only one. I find it very disturbing. How in god's name did these people get these kinds of unrealistic ideas about Canada?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top