Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Canada accept American refugees in some cases?
Yes, some Americans suffer to the point of needing refuge abroad 14 31.82%
No, even the worst off Americans aren't bad off enough to need to come to Canada 30 68.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,929,118 times

Advertisements

I think there are a lot of people in the United States that are so systematically disenfranchised that they deserve refugee status. I wouldn't put myself in that category by any means (though I do think I would thrive better and have more of a shot at prosperity in Canada), but there are people in places like New Orleans that don't stand any chance in America, but could probably thrive in Canada.

Why aren't Americans ever considered for refugee status in Canada, simply because the US is classified as a high-income country? I think Black Americans especially could make a good case since they are being systematically persecuted by the police and prison industry. Is refugee status only for the absolute worst places like Somalia, Syria, Haiti and Sudan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 PM

25 posts, read 23,624 times
You do know this will probably turn into an ugly frustrating argument with people claiming that "U.S. refugees" would only come to Canada for the freebies.

I'm leaving now before the argument starts. But I understand your viewpoint.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:40 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,346,311 times
It might help to understand the definition of Refugee..Here's the definition~~
Refugee | Define Refugee at Dictionary.com
Word Origin
noun
a person who flees for refuge or safety, especially to a foreign country, as in time of political upheaval, war, etc.

I guess that would answer the OP question. USA has been held up as the LEADER of the Free World and is a democracy with legal civil rights..So would truly question any reasoning for seeking refuge????

Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,353,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It might help to understand the definition of Refugee..Here's the definition~~
Refugee | Define Refugee at Dictionary.com
Word Origin
noun
a person who flees for refuge or safety, especially to a foreign country, as in time of political upheaval, war, etc.

I guess that would answer the OP question. USA has been held up as the LEADER of the Free World and is a democracy with legal civil rights..So would truly question any reasoning for seeking refuge????
That's the dictionaries definition, not the boundaries set by Canada, the country.

This link shows you who can apply for refugee status.

"Definitions
You may find the following definitions useful as you learn more about refugee claims in Canada.

Convention refugee

Convention refugees are people who are outside their home country or the country where they normally live, and who are unwilling to return because of a well-founded fear of persecution based on:

race;
religion;
political opinion;
nationality; or
membership in a particular social group, such as women or people of a particular sexual orientation.
Person in need of protection
A person in need of protection is a person in Canada whose removal to their home country or country where they normally live would subject them personally to:

a danger of torture;
a risk to their life; or
a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishmen
t."

Determine your eligibility – Refugee status from inside Canada

Americans have requested refugee status in Canada in the past.

"Today, would-be American refugees cite a variety of reasons for crossing the border. Some, like Watson, are war resisters. Others have less traditional rationales."

HOWEVER

"Catherine Dauvergne, a law professor and legal scholar at the University of British Columbia, has never heard of a single successful American refugee claim since the institution of the modern refugee processing system."

http://www.ryot.org/americans-thinki...a-think/424009

Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think there are a lot of people in the United States that are so systematically disenfranchised that they deserve refugee status. I wouldn't put myself in that category by any means (though I do think I would thrive better and have more of a shot at prosperity in Canada), but there are people in places like New Orleans that don't stand any chance in America, but could probably thrive in Canada.

Why aren't Americans ever considered for refugee status in Canada, simply because the US is classified as a high-income country? I think Black Americans especially could make a good case since they are being systematically persecuted by the police and prison industry. Is refugee status only for the absolute worst places like Somalia, Syria, Haiti and Sudan?
Has your country deteriorated to such an extent that you now view yourselves as refugees that need Canadas help?If the richest country in the world cant deal with their own disenfranchised population i dont see where Canada should or could carry your problems, With the American population at around 350 million and Canada at around 35 million Canada would be swamped in short order if all Americas poor were allowed to come to Canada as refugees and then no one would be thriving.
Interesting and new line of logic though=lets send all our black people and poor people to Canada.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:03 PM

520 posts, read 528,871 times
Canadians dont want our black americans. What is it with you bleeding heart liberal types and wanting to keep importing the world into your countries? All you're doing is ruining your quality of life. They dont need your home, theyve got their own, and theyve got their native home in Africa as an option. I notice this flaw in Anglo European countries, you have a populace thats like intent on importing the trash of the world. WHY? Its a big planet, they have other places like their own homelands where they would be surrounded by their own people. Thats, you know, a REAL refuge.

Last edited by Chris Meyers; 06-01-2015 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 09:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,788,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Canadians dont want our black americans. What is it with you bleeding heart liberal types and wanting to keep importing the world into your countries? All your doing is ruining your quality of life. They dont need your home, theyve got their own, and theyve got their native home in Africa as an option. I notice this flaw in Anglo European countries, you have a populace thats like intent on importing the trash of the world. WHY? Its a big planet, they have other places like their own homelands where they would be surrounded by their own people. Thats, you know, a REAL refuge.

I see. So, where do you live?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:33 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,353,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I see. So, where do you live?
Under a bridge obviously.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:40 PM

14,772 posts, read 17,040,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Under a bridge obviously.
lol!!

Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 PM

11,233 posts, read 16,345,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Canadians dont want our black americans.
Hmm. I'm trying to remember history.....there was this time......ah, f*ck...when was it? Something about a train.

Quote:
What is it with you bleeding heart liberal types and wanting to keep importing the world into your countries? All you're doing is ruining your quality of life. They dont need your home, theyve got their own, and theyve got their native home in Africa as an option.
I'm not a "bleeding heart liberal", but I'm no xenophobe, either. I see from your history you're an American, and used to live in Australia for a few years. Why should they have "imported" you from America? Don't you have your own, native home? You didn't need theirs.

Or....oh, okay. You're just talking about people that aren't white. Right?

Quote:
I notice this flaw in Anglo European countries, you have a populace thats like intent on importing the trash of the world. WHY? Its a big planet, they have other places like their own homelands where they would be surrounded by their own people. Thats, you know, a REAL refuge.
Maybe because Western Anglo countries have had a really bad habit of trying to ram "democracy" down these countries throats, and end up turning these places into war zones. I suppose it's the least we can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada