Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I frankly fail to understand what both of you are trying to say, you are confusing immigration with the right to spend six months as a visitor in each other country.

Nobody prevent an American to buy a property in Canada and live in Canada up to six months, it is exactly the same....the fact that far fewer Americans have any interest in spending half of the year in Canada it is a totally different story....Canadian seniors come down south mainly for only one reason: nice weather...what advantage an American senior would have to spend few months in Canada?? Exactly none. The only interest American seniors have up north is shopping for cheaper prescription drugs.
Well you're making assumptions here based on your own views regarding why one wouldn't want to spend up to 6 months in Canada... You aren't everyone.. I'll agree that obviously seniors in Canada find the weather more appealing in the south during winter (no doubt), but just don't assume that there aren't people in the U.S who wouldn't want to spend a few months in Canada... Ask Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg for instance...

http://cottagelife.com/91995/blogs/1...tage-in-canada

Old 06-04-2015, 06:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well you're making assumptions here based on your own views regarding why one wouldn't want to spend up to 6 months in Canada... You aren't everyone.. I'll agree that obviously seniors in Canada find the weather more appealing in the south during winter (no doubt), but just don't assume that there aren't people in the U.S who wouldn't want to spend a few months in Canada... Ask Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg for instance...

10 big-time celebrities who cottage in Canada – Cottage Life

I said in fact "far fewer" not "no one"...I'm ready to bet that my "far fewer" assumption is correct.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I said in fact "far fewer" not "no one"...I'm ready to bet that my "far fewer" assumption is correct.
I agree but you could have just said that instead of adding this

"what advantage an American senior would have in spending few months in Canada?? Exactly none. The only interest American seniors have up north is shopping for cheaper prescription drugs"

so I provided you with examples for those 'far fewer' and reasons other than prescription drugs..... You ask so than you shall receive.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I agree but you could have just said that instead of going on that what is there in Canada for those 'far fewer' so I provided you with examples and reasons for the 'far fewer'

Having a cottage in Canada, by the way, does not necessarily means spending months up there...I personally know folks owning vacation property in BC as a retreat but they do not spends months up there in one shot.

By the way, Martin Short, Jim Carrey and Donald Sutherland are actually Canadians.

A lot of Americans own properties in Mexico too.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-04-2015 at 06:30 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Having a cottage in Canada, by the way, does not necessarily mean spending months up there...I personally know folks owning vacation property in BC as a retreat but they do not spends months up there in one shot.

By the way, Martin Short, Jim Carrey and Donald Sutherland are actually Canadians.

A lot of Americans own properties in Mexico too.....

Note I didn't mention Martin Short or Jim Carrey or Donald Sutherland btw (knowing they are Canadian) which is why I only said Stephen S, Goldie H, Kurt R and Tom H...

sure they may not spend a few months but you don't know that and fact is they spend time in the country so i'd say there are more.. Again i'm not questioning your assumption that there are fewer reasons for American seniors to spend time in Canada than vice versa (mainly weather), I'm just saying that you didn't have to add the comment you did about prescription drugs and adding exactly no other reasons which is what you said... It was unnecessary and most likely untrue!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I agree but you could have just said that instead of adding this

"what advantage an American senior would have in spending few months in Canada?? Exactly none. The only interest American seniors have up north is shopping for cheaper prescription drugs"

so I provided you with examples for those 'far fewer' and reasons other than prescription drugs.....

Well, from an objective and general point of view....the advantages are zero or close to that....you can buy exactly the same kind of property in America and in a similar environment (for example the lovely cottage in a remote forested pristine location)

Now you may like more that particular location at individual level and it is perfectly fine.

On the other way around, for example, you cannot buy a property in a tropical location in Canada anywhere

Quote:
I'm just saying that you didn't have to add the comment you did about prescription drugs

Because for the general masses it is true....we always talk about average people.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Well, from an objective and general point of view....the advantages are zero or close to that....you can buy exactly the same kind of property in America and in a similar environment (for example the lovely cottage in a remote forested pristine location)

Now you may like more that particular location at individual level and it is perfectly fine.

On the other way around, for example, you cannot buy a property in a tropical location in Canada anywhere
Yes human beings aren't collectively 'objective'... They may travel somewhere and fall in love with that place... For example there are mountains in the U.S and mountains in Canada, but some may love the type of mountains in Canada vs the type in the U.S or they may love a particular town, a particular vista, a particular scene a particular place that pulls the heartstrings..

Otherwise this is simply an argument over - well the U.S has better weather and more 'tropical' options than Canada... No fooling but clearly there is always more to a story... There may not be more to your story but there is more to the story of others...

Food is a perfect example - is there an objective reason to love Ice Cream more than beans... No not at all beans pack more nutrient density but Ice Cream sure is more enjoyable for a lot of people. To some they like Canada's Ice cream to others not as much but just don't assume to speak for everyone...

Old 06-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Yes human beings aren't collectively 'objective'... They may travel somewhere and fall in love with that place... For example there are mountains in the U.S and mountains in Canada, but some may love the type of mountains in Canada vs the type in the U.S or they may love a particular town, a particular vista, a particular scene a particular place that pulls the heartstrings..

Otherwise this is simply an argument over - well the U.S has better weather and more 'tropical' options than Canada... No fooling but clearly there is always more to a story... There may not be more to your story but there are more to the story of others...

Food is a perfect example - is there an objective reason to love Ice Cream more than beans... No not at all beans pack more nutrient density but Ice Cream sure is more enjoyable for a lot of people.

You know exactly what I mean come on ....now if we want to spend some times arguing for the sake of arguing, it is ok we can play around

Again, I talk in general not the particular case....You may prefer a particular location, you may have financial advantages buying a property in a specific place in Canada compared to the US, it could be family inheritance, you may want to spend more time with some family members that live in Canada, etc....yes there is always more to the story....

Old 06-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
You know exactly what I mean come on ....now if we want to spend some times arguing for the sake of arguing, it is ok we can play around

Again, I talk in general not the particular case....You may like a particular location, you may have financial advantages buying a property in a specific place, it could be family inheritance, you may want to spend more time with some family members that live in Canada, etc....yes there is always more to the story....
I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing - I think some of your comments were unnecessary and not exactly true.. I've already agreed with you about the draw being bigger for Canadian seniors going to the U.S than vice versa mainly due more favourable weather, but I don't presume to talk for 'average' people or make assumptions like you do for instance.. I think you should be careful with that is all..

Old 06-04-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing - I think some of your comments were unnecessary and not exactly true.. I've already agreed with you about the draw being bigger for Canadian seniors going to the U.S than vice versa mainly due more favourable weather, but I don't presume to talk for 'average' people or make assumptions like you do for instance.. I think you should be careful with that is all..
I make general assumptions for the wider population....in other words the law of averages...and you have already agreed with me so....

Going back on topic, I hope the OP now realizes the difference between Canadian seniors in the US for the winter and real immigration..two totally different aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada