Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,188 times

Advertisements

I am trying to move to Canada but things are looking impossible. I have talked with others too and they say very few Americans are ever accepted to live in Canada unless they at highly educated and even then the waiting list is long.

Why is this way? I don't understand. Canada is our friend, you guys are suddenly acting like an enemy. We have done a lot to support each other economically

Old 06-04-2015, 02:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Do you have numbers and verifiable resources to back up your statements?

How many Americans are allowed to immigrate to Canada each year?

Do you know how many total immigrants from anywhere are allowed to immigrate to Canada each year?

What percentage are Americans of the total number of annual immigrants to Canada?

Old 06-04-2015, 02:41 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,896 times
Until the 1960s it was quite easy for Americans and Canadians to move back and forth. Indeed, in more historic times many Americans settled in Canada - early in Ontario and later in Alberta, while many Canadians settled in the US - up to 1 million French Canadians came to the northeast between 1840 and 1910.

As I understand, in the 1960s, at a time of civil rights advances, both countries moved away from the race/ethnic based immigration policies we had. (Canada had favoured US and UK immigrants). The US scrapped its ethnic quotas and favorable treatment of Canadians and Latin Americans, while Canada adopted a points system for evaluating potential immigrants, and tightened this system over time.

The result is the system we see today - where we treat each other pretty much the same as we treat any other country's people. Free trade in 1994 opened up greater mobility for certain classes of professionals, and of course by proximity, history and linked economies many of us have family connections or the opportunity to find employment. Manitoba and Minnesota even have reciprocity with regards to university tuition rates. But for most it is a case of applying alongside any other nationals.

This contrasts to what is happening in the European Union and in South America, as well as between Australia and New Zealand, where movement of people able to support themselves is pretty simple.

Its a good question why we continue our existing policies. As both countries have become multicultural, and as economic blocks have establsihed freer movement of people ("labour"), the old arguments of ethnic fairness seem less salient. Polls show majorities in both nations are cautiously in favour of freer movement (at least cautiously in Canada whose small population could be impacted). I would guess the Bush years and post-2001 politics also put a bit of a damper on bilateralism. I won't argue the pros and con's.

Last edited by docwatson; 06-04-2015 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 02:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
The question could also be stated why do so many Americans fail to qualify for Canadas immigration demands.
Its not like its just an open border where by any one who wants to can just come and go as they please, certain standards have to be met just being an American aint one of em.
Where exactly in the process are you running into trouble?

Be aware its equally as tough for Canadians to immigrate to the USA..

Old 06-04-2015, 02:58 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Americans are not singled out, they just have to meet the same standards as everyone else in the world who wants to come to Canada, and aren't given preferential treatment just because of where they were born (unless they have a NAFTA qualifying profession, in which case they actually are). Americans are not discriminated against, the fact that just anyone can't waltz in is exactly the point, and any country one of us wanted to move to would ask for very similar levels of achievement and demonstrated ability to contribute alot to the society.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Be aware its equally as tough for Canadians to immigrate to the USA..

If anything, it's much tougher for Canadians to move to the US.

Frankly, I'm not sure if the OP is a troll or a genuine poster.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Can we trade you Caitlin Jenner for Justin Bieber?

Old 06-04-2015, 03:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Can we trade you Caitlin Jenner for Justin Bieber?
You got em both actually... What is it with you and Caitlin Jenner anyway... Hotter as a female than male for sure... I say good move Bruce - Caitlin is a few notches higher..

Old 06-04-2015, 04:21 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I purchased a home here in Florida that was sold by a Canadian. I knew Canadians were down here for half of the year, but I had no idea how many owned property here. The homes in this Mobile Home Park are primarily Canadian owned, so this park is pretty much empty now until Oct when they come back. The Canadians have to leave the USA by the 6 month mark. Otherwise they are responsible for US taxes and lose their Canadian Health insurance for the remainder of the year. You should have seem them flock out of here and back to Canada when their deadline approached. I found myself wondering what the OP is asking. Why its so hard for Americans to settle in Canada, but the Canadians can come down here and set up housekeeping. Basically they seem to be using us to a point. Since we get no benefit if we should like to spend summers in Canada. The Canadians I met here in the park, did tell me. It is much easier for Canadians to immigrate to the USA than vice versa. I think there is something wrong with this policy. I think it has strong overtones of being unfair to Americans. However I can understand why Canada is particular, about who is coming to live in their country.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I purchased a home here in Florida that was sold by a Canadian. I knew Canadians were down here for half of the year, but I had no idea how many owned property here. The homes in this Mobile Home Park are primarily Canadian owned, so this park is pretty much empty now until Oct when they come back. The Canadians have to leave the USA by the 6 month mark. Otherwise they are responsible for US taxes and lose their Canadian Health insurance for the remainder of the year. You should have seem them flock out of here and back to Canada when their deadline approached. I found myself wondering what the OP is asking. Why its so hard for Americans to settle in Canada, but the Canadians can come down here and set up housekeeping. Basically they seem to be using us to a point. Since we get no benefit if we should like to spend summers in Canada. The Canadians I met here in the park, did tell me. It is much easier for Canadians to immigrate to the USA than vice versa. I think there is something wrong with this policy. I think it has strong overtones of being unfair to Americans. However I can understand why Canada is particular, about who is coming to live in their country.
So what exactly is preventing Americans from spending 6 months/summers in Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada