U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2015, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,162,395 times
Reputation: 3738

Advertisements

ok.... can we call this one a thread fail lol.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM
 
18,330 posts, read 10,407,207 times
Reputation: 13392
Comparing India's traffic fatalities to those of Canada with any attempt towards a linear comparison is just freak'n nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2015, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,454,113 times
Reputation: 4409
Anyone think he'll come back to this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2015, 06:47 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,208,239 times
Reputation: 1707
Ah, okay, so it's perfectly fine to use "per X" statistics, but it someone presents actual equivalent figures then it's not fair because there are more factors involved etc. etc. etc.

And I fail to see how referring to India as a "third world" country somehow legitimizes the horrendous rate of traffic fatalities in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ken if you're interested in road fatality stats by country here is a list for you

List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feel free to look at how Canada stacks up vs other countries... No excuses but could be far worse in terms of number of fatalities per 100K inhabitants vs many many other countries and Canada is on the low side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2015, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,454,113 times
Reputation: 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Ah, okay, so it's perfectly fine to use "per X" statistics, but it someone presents actual equivalent figures then it's not fair because there are more factors involved etc. etc. etc.

And I fail to see how referring to India as a "third world" country somehow legitimizes the horrendous rate of traffic fatalities in Canada.
Per x statistics are equivalent figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2015, 06:12 AM
 
34,446 posts, read 41,558,091 times
Reputation: 29910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
India routinely gets slagged for the poor driving condition and high accident and fatality rates, but looking at the numbers Canadians should be so smug and superior. For example, in 2011 there were 105725 total traffic fatalities in India. Wow, what a huge number, right? Well, India in 2011 had a population of about 1.221 BILLION people, in a fairly confined land mass. Canada, on the other hand, had only 34.34 million in on of the largest countries in the world with lots of space (even in urban areas). The number of total deaths was 2023. Nowhere near, right, so what's the big deal? If you take this figure and then factor that India's population is about 35.56 times bigger than Canada's, what you get is an equivalent death total of 71938. That's pretty shocking if you ask me. If people in Canada were dying at the rate they are in motor vehicle crashes of just about any other thing, there would be public hysteria about it. But nobody wants to do anything about this issue because it has to do with their precious cars and motorcycles. In fact, the fact that there are so many bad drivers on the roads in Canada is considered humorous and entertaining by many.
You seem to be making a tempest in a teapot over a non existent issue ,where are you seeing this supposed smugness and superior attitude from Canadians?,Where are you seeing Canadians slagging Indias poor driving condition and high accident and fatality rates? What relevance does Indias driving stats have to do with Canadians?.
As for bad drivers? its a global phenomenon that is prevalent wherever there are people driving cars.
Ken do you actually drive a vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 AM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,208,239 times
Reputation: 1707
I wouldn't consider this a "non existent issue". 2023 in a population of 32 million is a significant number. Under most any other circumstance this figure would be unacceptable, there would be public outrage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You seem to be making a tempest in a teapot over a non existent issue ,where are you seeing this supposed smugness and superior attitude from Canadians?,Where are you seeing Canadians slagging Indias poor driving condition and high accident and fatality rates? What relevance does Indias driving stats have to do with Canadians?.
As for bad drivers? its a global phenomenon that is prevalent wherever there are people driving cars.
Ken do you actually drive a vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 12:54 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,454,113 times
Reputation: 4409
But it's not even particarly high, especially considering it's still much lower than literally most countries. What's your point? That it's not the absolute lowest worldwide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,525 posts, read 7,481,467 times
Reputation: 10934
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Fair enough i'm just saying go there and drive and I think based on your experience the Vancouver observation would quickly change lol.. Vancouver is probably pretty innocuous from a driving perspective in Canamerica...

Anyway I watched Ice Road truckers in India - I think i'll pass driving there completely......

I watched that as well, shocking how they drive. Its a wonder anyone survives a trip on an Indian highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2015, 01:52 AM
 
34,446 posts, read 41,558,091 times
Reputation: 29910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
I wouldn't consider this a "non existent issue". 2023 in a population of 32 million is a significant number. Under most any other circumstance this figure would be unacceptable, there would be public outrage.
Traffic deaths are not a non existent issue and are a measurable stat where ever people drive cars., however comparing Canadas deaths and Indias deaths solely because you think Canada is exhibiting some kind of smug and superior attitude toward India's driving stats is a rather pointless issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top