U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Montreal has a lot more cooler festivals in the summer than Toronto. I was at Just For Laughs Festival last year and it was literally the best festival I've ever been to.
Possible - Toronto has a lot though.... Depends on what you like... I'd say festivals like Luminato, Nuit Blanche, Pride Toronto (first city to host world pride in North America), Toronto Caribbean festival (MASSIVE for Canamerican standards largest in the country), Buskerfest (personal fav), the Toronto International film festival which along with Cannes the largest and most important in the world and soo many others it may be hard to pinpoint which has cooler or better in two cities that have so many (Toronto has loads of smaller ethnic type festivals as well)... I think it depends on interest and of course personal taste.. I'm sure Montreal does a better X festival while Toronto does a better Y festival for example..

I'd say this is pretty cool what they are doing with an old Coal factory for example during Luminato

https://luminatofestival.com/festiva...-festival-19th

Last edited by fusion2; 06-09-2015 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 PM

1,043 posts, read 728,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There's also the ''girl thing'' though. Can't discount that factor!
Oh no... what I meant was that there seems to be a girl in Toronto that he's interested in seeing. Not commenting at all on the relative merits of females in either city![/quote]

Oh yeah gotcha.... Well being realistic here - Hmmmm 19 - wants to get hammered and party - loves French culture...hmmmm... verdict:

The girl in Toronto can wait a bit longer - she's been waiting for what 5 or 6 years anyway... Once he's ready to settle down a bit with said attractive online sweetie - They can go catch a Blue Jays game and see the sharks at the Aquarium together, followed by a trip to the AGO to see Ruben's Massacre of the Innocents...[/quote]
Both of these statements had me dying of laughter! Thanks for a much-needed laugh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Tell the girl to hop on the train or bus and meet him in Montreal. Then he has the best of both worlds.

Or maybe let the girl wait and keep his options open for the weekend. There are alot of beautiful women in Montreal afterall.
Maybe she can wait. I just got out of a bad relationship, and spending some time with some beautiful Quebecqoiuse women would be awesome!

Thank you, everyone, for your VERY helpful advice! Both seem like amazing, world-class cities, but I am now leaning towards Montreal for this summer and Toronto for next summer. This way, I can plan an extended trip and a meeting with my female friend while I'm in college.

Also, sorry about comparing American cities to Canadian cities. That's just what I've heard over the years, which is another reason why I want to travel to Canada: to break the Canada stereotypes I've heard over my life. My trip to Paris broke a lot of preconceived notions about the French (smelly, easy women, women with armpit hair, etc.), and now I want to be enlightened with Canadian culture. I want to see if you all are really pacifistic, hockey-playing people who say "eh" after every sentence haha!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 PM

34,398 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Because I have very limited cash. Plus, ideally, I envision this as a weekend trip (Friday-Sunday). I'm looking at a youth hostel in Montreal for $20/night. One night in Montreal plus the cost of the bus would bring my trip to around $132.00, excluding tax.
Heres the problem, you basically have no money and no time,seems like you'd enjoy yourself more if came up to Montreal when you had more of both
Meals even at MacDonalds are going to run $10 per visit, a night out on the town will run $100. Then $3.25 every time you get on a bus or the subway.
You say your trip is Friday to Sunday but your budget is for just one night Then out of your short time frame you'll have to devote 16-20 hours for that bus ride.
Seems like a lot of hassle just to grab a poutine and a beer and listen to a bunch of people speak French..

Old 06-09-2015, 11:54 PM

873 posts, read 815,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Possible - Toronto has a lot though.... Depends on what you like... I'd say festivals like Luminato, Nuit Blanche, Pride Toronto (first city to host world pride in North America), Toronto Caribbean festival (MASSIVE for Canamerican standards largest in the country), Buskerfest (personal fav), the Toronto International film festival which along with Cannes the largest and most important in the world and soo many others it may be hard to pinpoint which has cooler or better in two cities that have so many (Toronto has loads of smaller ethnic type festivals as well)... I think it depends on interest and of course personal taste.. I'm sure Montreal does a better X festival while Toronto does a better Y festival for example..

I'd say this is pretty cool what they are doing with an old Coal factory for example during Luminato

https://luminatofestival.com/festiva...-festival-19th
I'd say Montreal wins in terms of festivals in my opinion. I heard somewhere Montreal was called the festival capital of Canada or something like that. Anyways both cities are great for visiting and offer fun and entertaining things to do overall.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:58 AM

12,693 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Both are great places to visit, especially in summer. You should eventually visit both...and one day Vancouver

Since this is your first visit, it's really a tough call....but ( sorry Fusion2 LOL ) I'd go to Montreal. Don't expect " French culture" like in France. It's Canadian French...what we call Quebecois culture.
I really don't know anyone that doesn't have a blast there in summer.

If you choose Toronto, you haven't made a bad choice either. Toronto is full of fun things to do.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:56 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,117,320 times
You should have a good time in either city for a weekend visit. Given your interest in French culture and partying, I would also say Montreal. It is a better tourist city IMO due it's historical charm, Quebec culture, and vibrant nightlife. Toronto might be something more familiar to you than Montreal if your coming from a Philly and seen NYC and Chicago. But Toronto is a large, multicultural city with some cool areas to see, especially in the summertime. And I also agree with the previous poster, going out west to Vancouver/BC to see its natural beauty is a must, one day...

Old 06-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I'd say Montreal wins in terms of festivals in my opinion. I heard somewhere Montreal was called the festival capital of Canada or something like that. Anyways both cities are great for visiting and offer fun and entertaining things to do overall.
Well If you need to pick a 'winner' lol.. All I know is the T.dot has a lot of high profile festivals and at least typically the largest in the country though bigger isn't always 'better' I agree.

As for the moniker of 'festival capital of Canada' - this could be something someone in some tourist office said and just stuck. With that said, I defer to the preference of the individual of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Both are great places to visit, especially in summer. You should eventually visit both...and one day Vancouver

Since this is your first visit, it's really a tough call....but ( sorry Fusion2 LOL ) I'd go to Montreal. Don't expect " French culture" like in France. It's Canadian French...what we call Quebecois culture.
I really don't know anyone that doesn't have a blast there in summer.

If you choose Toronto, you haven't made a bad choice either. Toronto is full of fun things to do.
No need to be sorry..Hey I love both cities and you can't go wrong with either... With respect to Toronto, like any city its a dynamic place so any opinion needs to be evaluated from time to time to take into account what a city is like now not how it was like 5, 10 or 20 years ago is all i'm sayin...

Old 06-10-2015, 06:13 PM

873 posts, read 815,782 times
I also have to add Toronto has a lot of potential to be even more of a tourist destination in the future with how much it's growing how much diversity it has. I really hope in the coming years the people in charge do something to improve the waterfront and clean up the city more and add more interesting tourist sites so in the future it can have an even bigger impact on tourism. But I'd say as the years go by Toronto is is getting more and more tourists and becoming an even bigger international destination.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I also have to add Toronto has a lot of potential to be even more of a tourist destination in the future with how much it's growing how much diversity it has. I really hope in the coming years the people in charge do something to improve the waterfront and clean up the city more and add more interesting tourist sites so in the future it can have an even bigger impact on tourism. But I'd say as the years go by Toronto is is getting more and more tourists and becoming an even bigger international destination.
I actually disagree re tourist sites/general attractions - its always vague when people say there aren't 'enough' attractions - I think its just that the things are more spread out in the city but in terms of number of attractions there's plenty.. I also think the city hasn't pandered to tourists to make it more easy for them to visit and be aware of the cities attractions though things are improving.. Will Toronto have the grand historical architecture of Montreal well - no it won't but I actually can't think of another city in Canada at least objectively that checks off the laundry list quite like Toronto does but that isn't going to equate to 'appeal' or 'culturally' interesting.. It all comes down to 'what is' interesting and vs a city like Montreal - Toronto will always be considered more like its immediate competition in the anglo part of our hemisphere and less - different.

Lets not forget - Toronto still is by far the most visited city in Canada... With over 25 million visitors Internationally and domestically there isn't a close second in terms of those stats. Number 2 is actually Vancouver..

I agree with you about the waterfront and just 'connecting' the city to its more interesting parts.. There is definitely improvements going on though - including the waterfront and the islands are going to be hopping this year with festivals - including Bestival for the first time and of course the city is just growing like gangbusters so by sheer force if you will it will continue to line things up in terms of attractions.. The Ripley's Aquarium and Aga Khan Museum are the latest but won't be the last because the city has not just tourist catchment but a massive local population supporting these things.

Tourism - Key Industry Sectors - Operate & Grow Your Business | City of Toronto

Toronto sets tourism record with 14.3M overnight visitors in 2014 - Toronto | Globalnews.ca

Last edited by fusion2; 06-10-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 PM

2,564 posts, read 2,182,481 times
Quote:
Yep, lots of great plans on the table in Toronto, but let's just hope that at least ONE of them actually gets built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or