U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:49 PM

12,635 posts, read 11,217,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yep, lots of great plans on the table in Toronto, but let's just hope that at least ONE of them actually gets built.
I thought you liked at least some of the transit initiatives going on... UP express is operating now.. hmmm providing direct rail service from the airport to Dt - just started last weekend..

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tran...aya-think.html

Isn't Queens Quay redev in full swing..

Constructing Queens Quay / Queens Quay (West) / Central Waterfront / Explore Projects / Waterfront Toronto

Surprising shot from you especially since in addition to probably the largest investments in transit infrasture in the country - the city recently added Ripley's and a 300m dollar museum but whatever I guess - some just won't ever be satisfied..

Last edited by fusion2; 06-10-2015 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,957,440 times
Toronto has turned into a dump. Loaded with bums and third worlders. They call it "Canada's Detroit." I actually saw it happen. I used to (emphasize "used to" ) visit there a lot. It was once a great city. Fine people, and best of all, safe to walk the streets 24/7. I even talked a homeless bum into buying me a cup of coffee once, just for the heck of it. How cool can it get? But... not anymore. The Carribies tore the place to shreds for starters, then it went downhill from there. I won't be back.

Montreal is a great place to visit, way less crime, lots to see and do. They sent their liberals to Toronto about 30 yrs ago...you know the rest of the story - at least that's the excuse my Canadian friends offer up. Brush up on the French. Bon voyage.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 PM

22,053 posts, read 27,530,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Toronto has turned into a dump. Loaded with bums and third worlders. They call it "Canada's Detroit." I actually saw it happen. I used to (emphasize "used to" ) visit there a lot. It was once a great city. Fine people, and best of all, safe to walk the streets 24/7. I even talked a homeless bum into buying me a cup of coffee once, just for the heck of it. How cool can it get? But... not anymore. The Carribies tore the place to shreds for starters, then it went downhill from there. I won't be back.

Montreal is a great place to visit, way less crime, lots to see and do. They sent their liberals to Toronto about 30 yrs ago...you know the rest of the story - at least that's the excuse my Canadian friends offer up. Brush up on the French. Bon voyage.
Oh come on

Old 06-10-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh come on
Too much disturbing in that post to even think of delving into

Needless to say - visitors like that we just don't need in either city...

Old 06-10-2015, 07:35 PM

22,053 posts, read 27,530,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Too much disturbing in that post to even think of delving into

Needless to say - visitors like that we just don't need in either city...
Not even worth responding to, mon ami!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not even worth responding to, mon ami!
vous avez raison

Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 AM

1,504 posts, read 1,369,095 times
Quote:

Really?!?! You're pretty funny!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:07 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,336,271 times
Quote:
Who call it "Canada's Detroit"? LOL, if Toronto is Canada's Detroit, housing price would be $10,000, instead of $1,000,000.

Toronto passes Vancouver as Canada's most expensive city

Old 06-11-2015, 10:35 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,200,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I thought you liked at least some of the transit initiatives going on... UP express is operating now.. hmmm providing direct rail service from the airport to Dt - just started last weekend..

Union Pearson Express (UPX) opens. Reader reaction in four comments | Toronto Star

Isn't Queens Quay redev in full swing..

Constructing Queens Quay / Queens Quay (West) / Central Waterfront / Explore Projects / Waterfront Toronto

Surprising shot from you especially since in addition to probably the largest investments in transit infrasture in the country - the city recently added Ripley's and a 300m dollar museum but whatever I guess - some just won't ever be satisfied..
Yep, I already took the UP twice, back and forth since last weekend. Of course it's a great asset and I love it.

Queens Quay... another story. I went past that area many times over the past few weeks - let's just say I'm not at all impressed - more than 2 years of work just to repave a few blocks of pedestrian paths and an extra bike lane? C'mon, even that's a new low for Toronto city government's efficiency. Now they are ripping up parts of the newly paved block again to re-do some utility work. Great.

And don't get me started on the idiotic Gardner express debate. That kind of decision should never be left for politicians to decide. I mean, how on earth can some no name councillor from Etobicoke or Scarborough know ANYTHING about infrastructure planning and civil engineering??

Sorry, but reading the Star these days can be quite depressing. You see nothing but delays and idiotic city council debates. End of rant.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 AM

2,636 posts, read 1,957,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Who call it "Canada's Detroit"? LOL, if Toronto is Canada's Detroit, housing price would be $10,000, instead of $1,000,000.

Toronto passes Vancouver as Canada's most expensive city
What walks the streets and what buys the real estate are two totally different things. Millionaires and bums coexist in many places - why? I'm not sure.

Toronto is a financial center. Those dudes make tons of money. That's who can afford to buy those $1,000,000 places. They like to live where they work. It has nothing to do with what walks the streets.

BTW, Toronto has always struck me (even in its better days) as a homeless person's dream location (you realize that formerly, Montreal had that role). It has a ton of them. I came up with an idea one time while sitting at a Starbucks. I'd offer to donate, say, $50,000 to buy up a bunch of those snap together plastic play houses at Toys "R Us and hand them out. My theory is that the first step in these people getting back to normal is kinda like "having your own space." A cheerful little house parked in an alley could maybe instill pride (you know, they decorate it with stuff they find laying around, eventually it's home, it's your digs). Using that as the psychological "nidus," the rest is, potentially, recovery. There were no takers. Cardboard boxes still reign.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 06-11-2015 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or