U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,188,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
What walks the streets and what buys the real estate are two totally different things.

Toronto is a financial center. Those dudes make tons of money. That's who can afford to buy those $1,000,000 places. They like to live where they work. It has nothing to do with what walks the streets.

BTW, Toronto has always struck me (even in its better days) as a homeless person's dream location. It always had a ton of them. I offered to donate $180,000 to buy a bunch of those snap together plastic play houses at Toys "R Us and hand them out. My theory is that the first step in getting back to normal is kinda like "having your own space." A cheerful little house parked in an alley could maybe instill pride (you know, decorate it with stuff you find laying around, eventually it's yours...the rest is slow recovery - hopefully.) There were no takers. Cardboard boxes still reign.
If you think Toronto has a big homeless problem, you haven't seen anything. Go to Boston (Cambridge Harvard Square) and SF Bay Area. Toronto's the largest city in Canada, and like any major cities, there's homelessness. Big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 11:24 AM

12,710 posts, read 8,789,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not even worth responding to, mon ami!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:26 AM

12,710 posts, read 8,789,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Who call it "Canada's Detroit"? LOL, if Toronto is Canada's Detroit, housing price would be $10,000, instead of $1,000,000.

Toronto passes Vancouver as Canada's most expensive city
I'm going to print this post out and frame it. Brilliant Botti. It's both a positive and negative statement about Toronto all wrapped up in one!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,276,387 times
Montreal, definitely. Much more tourist-friendly and attractive overall.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:48 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yep, I already took the UP twice, back and forth since last weekend. Of course it's a great asset and I love it.

Queens Quay... another story. I went past that area many times over the past few weeks - let's just say I'm not at all impressed - more than 2 years of work just to repave a few blocks of pedestrian paths and an extra bike lane? C'mon, even that's a new low for Toronto city government's efficiency. Now they are ripping up parts of the newly paved block again to re-do some utility work. Great.

And don't get me started on the idiotic Gardner express debate. That kind of decision should never be left for politicians to decide. I mean, how on earth can some no name councillor from Etobicoke or Scarborough know ANYTHING about infrastructure planning and civil engineering??

Sorry, but reading the Star these days can be quite depressing. You see nothing but delays and idiotic city council debates. End of rant.
OMG waaaaahhh booohooooo BK - free hugs? Why don't you wait until things are finished and think more positively... If its any consolation there is probably more movement on things in general in T.O overall that anywhere else in the country I would imagine...

Last edited by fusion2; 06-11-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,188,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
OMG waaaaahhh booohooooo BK - free hugs? Why don't you wait until things are finished and think more positively... If its any consolation there is probably more movement on things in general in T.O overall that anywhere else in the country I would imagine...
I think there's no long term solution, at least for the city of Toronto, than to fire every single person on city council and let technocrats take over, or at the very least give more powers to regional bodies and agencies that specialize in urban planning and transportation.

Of course that won't happen. My other plan to turn TO into a world class city was to tear down every building on both sides of University Avenue, and build a row of neo-classical marble palaces for his majesty the PM.

Of course that won't happen either.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:50 PM

349 posts, read 343,040 times
I'd go with Montreal for sure, although you could do a triangle and see both.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:22 PM

831 posts, read 936,068 times
Toronto has a LOWER crime rate than Montreal and one of the lowest in the country. I absolutely adore Montreal but bringing up Toronto's "high crime" is just lunacy.

Both cities are incredibly dynamic but I'd go for Montreal. I actually prefer Toronto slightly but if your are from NA you will find Montreal more enticing and different. North Americans tend to prefer Montreal where as Europeans tend to prefer Toronto.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:59 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
North Americans tend to prefer Montreal where as Europeans tend to prefer Toronto.
I do not think it is that simple. Many Americans like the newness and familiarity of Toronto and many Europeans are all about Montréal.

I agree with you about Toronto crime.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 AM

1,052 posts, read 732,245 times
UPDATE: I now have someone who might potentially go with me! She is a good friend of mine from college who wants to do the same as me before this semester starts. I will also probably have more funding than what I originally stated. I have been saving up, and some family members have expressed interest in helping me. I'm still leaning more towards Montreal, but she's thinking more along the lines of Toronto. We will talk it out, and I'll be sure to give updates. Thanks again for all the advice! It has been beyond helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or