U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:54 AM

1,047 posts, read 730,254 times

Advertisements

I traveled abroad for the first time ever this year! On March 6, I left the US for Paris. It was wonderful! One of the most amazing experiences ever. Now that I am back home until college resumes, I have been thinking about traveling abroad again. Unlike my trip to Paris (which was funded by my financial aid return), I don't have a lot of money to spend; however, bus tickets to Canada are cheap right now! I am looking to travel to either Toronto or Montreal this summer, and here are my reasons for each:

Toronto
From what I heard, Toronto is Canada's answer to New York. Toronto is considered an influential global city. Even more appealing is the fact that I can travel round-trip from Philadelphia to Toronto for a mere $51.50! Additionally, there is this very attractive girl that I have been friends with online since I was 12 or 13. We're both 19 now. Now that I have my US passport, I can finally see her should I chose to travel to Toronto.

Montreal
Montreal costs a little more for a round-trip. On Greyhound's website, round-trip tickets are going for $112.50. I may very well be willing to pay extra, however, because I have been infatuated with French culture since I took French in high school. I speak French well enough to get by in short conversations, which I got to try out for the first time in Paris. The French culture of Montreal and Quebec may be enough to convince me to travel to Montreal. Additionally, my best friend traveled to Montreal and loved it. She highly recommended it. Finally, I see Montreal as Canada's answer to Philadelphia (where I'm from) in terms of population size.

Before I buy tickets and make hotel reservations, I want other opinions. Which city has better scenery, food, activities, nightlife, etc.? Nightlife is important as I plan to go clubbing and get hammered haha. Just so you know, I'm a 19 year old male from Philadelphia who will most likely be traveling alone. I might possibly try to recruit my best friend, a 20 year old female from Northeast PA. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 04:10 AM

34,428 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Why not spend a little time in both places, its only a 4 hour train ride or 5 hour bus/car ride or 1 hour on a plane.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:08 PM

1,047 posts, read 730,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why not spend a little time in both places, its only a 4 hour train ride or 5 hour bus/car ride or 1 hour on a plane.
Because I have very limited cash. Plus, ideally, I envision this as a weekend trip (Friday-Sunday). I'm looking at a youth hostel in Montreal for $20/night. One night in Montreal plus the cost of the bus would bring my trip to around $132.00, excluding tax.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Because I have very limited cash. Plus, ideally, I envision this as a weekend trip (Friday-Sunday). I'm looking at a youth hostel in Montreal for $20/night. One night in Montreal plus the cost of the bus would bring my trip to around $132.00, excluding tax.
Both sound fun. Not to knock Toronto which is a fine city, but I've often found Montreal more tourist friendly for that sort of brief trip then Toronto is because the attractions are more obvious and clustered in a more easily navigable central area, whereas Toronto is more spread out. Moreover, Montreal is going to be a more "different" experience for someone from Philly than Toronto would be, even if it is obviously quite distinct. Of course, that doesn't account for the girl in TO factor. Toronto does have plenty to keep you busy for a weekend, no doubt about that, and it is a big city, but it's not like New York, imagine a city like Chicago, but without the bad neighbourhoods, mostly modernist skyscrapers instead of pre-war ones, demographics that more resemble modern London, and 19th century architecture that is more British Empire influenced. Montreal is indeed like a Philly meets Quebec City vibe, with a bit of a bohemian socially liberal sincity reputation among some, like Amsterdam, New Orleans or Berlin.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:59 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Of course Montreal. It is a no brainer.

Compared with Toronto, Montreal is prettier, has a better urban vibe, better architecture, more unique non-Anglo North American culture you are probably very familiar with, better food, better neighbourhood, better night life, more relaxed alcohol rules, and is cheaper.

I will try not to put down Toronto, but for a tourist, definitely Montreal all the way.

Toronto is nothing like NYC. It is sort of like Chicago, without the bad neighbourhoods, but without the most impressive and breathtaking urban architecture/public space as well.

And Toronto is not "mostly modernist skyscrapers" - it is not Hong Kong. It has a downtown that has some modernist skyscrapers on some corridors/nodes (financial district, Yonge st, entertainment district, along the lake), but in general the city is pretty low rise just like any American city. 60% of downtown is still below three stories as far as I can see.

I am not saying Toronto will disappoint you, but Montreal obvious is the better city to visit.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:08 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
And Toronto is not "mostly modernist skyscrapers" - it is not Hong Kong. It has a downtown that has some modernist skyscrapers on some corridors/nodes (financial district, Yonge st, entertainment district, along the lake), but in general the city is pretty low rise just like any American city. 60% of downtown is still below three stories as far as I can see.
... did you honestly think someone who has clearly been to Toronto before thought the city limits are exclusively occupied by a sea of skyscrapers? I said mostly modernist skyscrapers instead of pre-war ones in reference to Chicago, which has more pre-war scrapers, and obviously also is not an endless skyscraper zone. But please, enjoy the feeling of having schooled the provincial hick from North America who just had no idea.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM

873 posts, read 816,507 times
Do both. Both are worth seeing.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:20 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,356,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Of course Montreal. It is a no brainer.

Compared with Toronto, Montreal is prettier, has a better urban vibe, better architecture, more unique non-Anglo North American culture you are probably very familiar with, better food, better neighbourhood, better night life, more relaxed alcohol rules, and is cheaper.

I will try not to put down Toronto, but for a tourist, definitely Montreal all the way.

Toronto is nothing like NYC. It is sort of like Chicago, without the bad neighbourhoods, but without the most impressive and breathtaking urban architecture/public space as well.

I am not saying Toronto will disappoint you, but Montreal obvious is the better city to visit.
Lol, " low rise city " !?!?

Old 06-09-2015, 02:32 PM

34,428 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I was just thinking that seeing your friend in Toronto might play a factor in your scheduling.
You also might want to factor in breakfast/lunch and supper along with any costs for bars/shows and public transportation costs.If all this trip is going to transpire over the course of one night its not going to be a very entertaining trip as 24 hours are going to be devoted solely to the bus ride.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-09-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,281,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Lol, " low rise city " !?!?
No?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or