U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2015, 01:28 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,208,004 times
Reputation: 1707

Advertisements

Nice try but no -- you thought you had me but you got burned, but of course you don't have the humility to admit it. Everything you write below is futile treading water and basically all wrong.

Whatever Douglas' secular political views, he was a Christian, a Baptist minister (you known, conservative fundamentalist "Bible-thumper"). Still, health care in Canada predated the CCF/NDP and the current system we have is founded in Christian charity much more than "social democracy".

Of course you attacked me directly, and I responded by addressing the fact that I haven't needed the system. Are there people who do? Of course, and I stated why. But this doesn't mean that it has to be a tax sucking burden on society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I brought it in because of your childish rantings of " leftists" Universal Healthcare is an idea from the left. Private insurance systems, business based, are considered politically right.

In Canada it certainly was an idea from the left. Tommy Douglas?

The opposition for Universal Care usually comes from the right. Just look to the US.

In Canada we never used to banter around terms like "leftist " and catch phrases such as " left-wing entitlement" until recently. An effect, no doubt from the political influence south of us.

We used to work better together. PROGRESSIVE Conservatives did indeed catch on and support it. So much so that the vast majority of Canadians support some sort of universal system.

Your statement "I've used it a grand total of once in the last 20 years," seems to suggest that you are of the mind, that since YOU are fine, the heck with everyone else. You begrudge the system...which actually saves you money, since ANY premiums you would have to pay in the private sector would be higher than you currently pay.

Most people medical bills accumulate in the last few years of their lives. Your's probably will too. We the people of Canada WILL pick up that cost, because most of us believe that healthcare is a right.

You say that if you were to incur serious medical expense that you would find a way to pay it back. How?
Cancer is a very expensive disease. Could be a million dollars in care, or more. Heck a broken leg can set you back thousands.

You have the option though already, to pay the actual cost or donate what private insurance premiums would cost, and you don't. Hence proving my point, you're all talk and no action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Nice try but no -- you thought you had me but you got burned, but of course you don't have the humility to admit it. Everything you write below is futile treading water and basically all wrong.

Whatever Douglas' secular political views, he was a Christian, a Baptist minister (you known, conservative fundamentalist "Bible-thumper"). Still, health care in Canada predated the CCF/NDP and the current system we have is founded in Christian charity much more than "social democracy".

Of course you attacked me directly, and I responded by addressing the fact that I haven't needed the system. Are there people who do? Of course, and I stated why. But this doesn't mean that it has to be a tax sucking burden on society.
Trying to rewrite history Ken? Are you from the US? Your comment about Tommy Douglas seen very American to me. Certainly he was a Baptist Minister, and perhaps " conservative " in his views, but the party that aligned with his views wasn't a conservative party but a party very much LEFT of Centre. In fact people say if Jesus were alive today he be branded a communist, so it doesn't seem out of place to most Canadians.

However, now that you've made the link between " christian charity " and " universal healthcare " tell me why you don't support it again?

Also do some research on which system, ours or the US, sucks more out of the tax payers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,326,677 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Because in Canada you can't get private insurance for things that are covered by your provincial health insurance.
Yes you can. It usually comes as a workplace benefit, but you can pay to upgrade coverage if you choose. Supplemental health coverage is also available for those who are self-employed or on contract employment.

I am assuming you are an American. They tend to think Canadian health care grows on trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Yes you can. It usually comes as a workplace benefit, but you can pay to upgrade coverage if you choose. Supplemental health coverage is also available for those who are self-employed or on contract employment.

I am assuming you are an American. They tend to think Canadian health care grows on trees.
Private Insurance ONLY for things NOT covered by your Provincial Plan. Why would private insurance pay for something someone is already covered for?

I'm well aware of supplemental insurance, since I had it while I was working.

I think you misread my post.

"Government or public plans provide comprehensive coverage of core health care services such as ward-level hospital acute care and most physician services. Supplementary plans, the subject of this brochure, focus on non-core services that are not covered – or not fully covered – by government plans. They may be group plans sponsored by employers, unions and associations or individual plans that"

http://www.clhia.ca/domino/html/clhia/CLHIA_LP4W_LND_Webstation.nsf/resources/Consumer+Brochures/$file/Brochure_Guide_To_Health_ENG.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,907 posts, read 23,204,756 times
Reputation: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I like him mostly. He challenged a lot of the people on his show, more than most these days.

The whole story will come out as to why he was fired, but it does beg the question if Mansbridge and Rex Murphy took paid speaking engagements for the gas and oil industry and Lang interfered with a story and all they got was a warning...why is Evan given the boot after one strike?
Yeah, I wonder if Evan will get picked up by CTV or Global National if it turns out CBC has overreacted to the still yet unconfirmed allegations made by the Toronto Star.

They should at least give him a second chance unless this is a lot bigger then they are letting on but his apology seems pretty legit and meaningful and acknowledged he made a mistake and is taking the full blame of it which is Rare to see from a National Newscaster/Anchor these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Yeah, I wonder if Evan will get picked up by CTV or Global National if it turns out CBC has overreacted to the still yet unconfirmed allegations made by the Toronto Star.

They should at least give him a second chance unless this is a lot bigger then they are letting on but his apology seems pretty legit and meaningful and acknowledged he made a mistake and is taking the full blame of it which is Rare to see from a National Newscaster/Anchor these days.
I'm sure he's talking to his lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 PM
 
1,385 posts, read 1,208,004 times
Reputation: 1707
Whatever the case... if you want to make this about health care, then certainly you would agree the taxpayer's money funneled to the CBC is a waste and could be better spent on that. Same goes for all arts funding. If the CBC can survive on its own - which it probably can - then it has every right to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Trying to rewrite history Ken? Are you from the US? Your comment about Tommy Douglas seen very American to me. Certainly he was a Baptist Minister, and perhaps " conservative " in his views, but the party that aligned with his views wasn't a conservative party but a party very much LEFT of Centre. In fact people say if Jesus were alive today he be branded a communist, so it doesn't seem out of place to most Canadians.

However, now that you've made the link between " christian charity " and " universal healthcare " tell me why you don't support it again?

Also do some research on which system, ours or the US, sucks more out of the tax payers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Not to get involved in the ridiculous little spat you and Ken are engaging in, but when did Universal Healthcare and Private insurance become mutually exclusive? They play the same role in how the healthcare system is funded and administered in most countries around the world.
Oh come on Eddy, come join us in our little spat LOL. I agree it is ridiculous.

I'm not saying that Universal Healthcare and private insurance are mutually exclusive. What I am saying, is that historically those for Universal Healthcare are mostly left leaning, those for a more private system, right leaning.
Of course in Canada these are over simplifications, since many so called people on the right, that support our system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Whatever the case... if you want to make this about health care, then certainly you would agree the taxpayer's money funneled to the CBC is a waste and could be better spent on that. Same goes for all arts funding. If the CBC can survive on its own - which it probably can - then it has every right to exist.
No I don't agree. I think a public broadcaster is extremely important. However the CBC has been morphed into something a bit different. We should get back on track.

As for funding for the arts, many countries do it. It all depends on how one views art and culture. Is it simply a business for which the market place should decide who survives? Or is it something more important to a country and should be supported by said country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 11:42 AM
 
2,566 posts, read 2,185,860 times
Reputation: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No I don't agree. I think a public broadcaster is extremely important. However the CBC has been morphed into something a bit different. We should get back on track.

As for funding for the arts, many countries do it. It all depends on how one views art and culture. Is it simply a business for which the market place should decide who survives? Or is it something more important to a country and should be supported by said country.
Why are you even debating with him? Let's face it you are never gonna convince him lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top