U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:43 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,020,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Oh come on Eddy, come join us in our little spat LOL. I agree it is ridiculous.

I'm not saying that Universal Healthcare and private insurance are mutually exclusive. What I am saying, is that historically those for Universal Healthcare are mostly left leaning, those for a more private system, right leaning.
Of course in Canada these are over simplifications, since many so called people on the right, that support our system.
Nah, Im good!

But thanks for the clarification, you know I get a little anal over the HC thang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 01:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 8,800,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Why are you even debating with him? Let's face it you are never gonna convince him lol.
Oh, I've had bigger challenges !

Old 06-12-2015, 02:23 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,209,859 times
Privately financing your own artistic education/training and then subsisting off patronage has produced some of the most world renowned artists in western civilization. Other world renowned artists scraped together whatever resources they could and produced timeless masterpieces. Most "artists" in Canada have mediocre talent and have ensconced themselves in the "art scene" through "socializing" etc. and feel that they're entitled to public support to facilitate their lifestyle, rather than perfect their alleged talent. There will always be art produced in western societies, but I would argue that private funding leads to more initiative and this produces better talent in the end. Public funding allows for art to be pushed to absurd extremes in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No I don't agree. I think a public broadcaster is extremely important. However the CBC has been morphed into something a bit different. We should get back on track.

As for funding for the arts, many countries do it. It all depends on how one views art and culture. Is it simply a business for which the market place should decide who survives? Or is it something more important to a country and should be supported by said country.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:05 AM

12,716 posts, read 8,800,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Privately financing your own artistic education/training and then subsisting off patronage has produced some of the most world renowned artists in western civilization. Other world renowned artists scraped together whatever resources they could and produced timeless masterpieces. Most "artists" in Canada have mediocre talent and have ensconced themselves in the "art scene" through "socializing" etc. and feel that they're entitled to public support to facilitate their lifestyle, rather than perfect their alleged talent. There will always be art produced in western societies, but I would argue that private funding leads to more initiative and this produces better talent in the end. Public funding allows for art to be pushed to absurd extremes in some cases.
Money is money. I fail to see how private money fosters better art. You probably didn't realize when you said
"Public funding allows for art to be pushed to absurd extremes in some cases" that you are actually saying that an artist is freer to do what they want with public funding...and that private funding somehow reigns in an artist to be less extreme. Which begs the question, in your world, who is the better artist?

However I disagree, whether public or private funding is received, most artists are going to do what they want. Unless they are creating public art for a corporation.

Your statement about artists shows you know little about the arts. Funding is never FULL. It only assists certain artist to continue their art. Most are on the poverty line.

It seems to be you've bought into the conservative lie, that artists are somehow elitists and exclusive, just because YOU don't get what they do. Putting art scene into quotes, as if whatever you imagine the art scene to be, you are trying to say it's not legitimate.
You also seem to be forgetting that art isn't just paintings and sculptures. It's musicians, singers, dancers, actors, etc. You must also realize, that in a lot of cases, the funding is to art groups, to support tours, pay for rehearsal space etc.. The money doesn't go directly to the artist, but to the organization.
All important to the cultural landscape of Canada.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-13-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 05:03 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,190,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Care to name some of those world renowned artists? Michelangelo? Da Vinci? Privately financed you say? Again, I'd like to hear those world-renowned privately financed artists and their privately financed art works, since you are surely an expert in the field of art funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or