Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:43 PM

349 posts, read 488,467 times

Advertisements

I heard in the 1970s Montreal was becoming more Anglophone, and the Quebec government was worried French would die out so they enacted laws to prevent that from happening. One result of this was the exodus of businesses and capital to Toronto and other Canadian cities, and Toronto overtaking Montreal in financial importance. This happened around the time Montreal hosted the Olympics. I'm curious, I know it's speculation, but how do you think Montreal would be different today, aside from obviously being more English speaking, if say, most people most English as their first language? Would it still be the largest city? Do you think some of the distinctive Quebecois culture would be lost? I mean a similar thing happened in New Orleans, but they retained their distinctive culture.

How would it affect Canada as a whole? Would Montreal and Toronto both maybe have 5 million people, instead of Toronto having 6 million and Montreal 4 million? A bit more like Australia where Sydney and Melbourne are very equal in importance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
All speculation and opinion but Montreal was never primarily English yet was Canadas number 1 city, then this idea came along that all the francophones were becoming Anglophones so a referendum on separation was enacted,then draconian language legislation was put in place via bill 101 accompanied by the OQLF or as we like to call them the language police another referendum ensued ,end result many Anglophones and their businesses and head offices have moved elsewhere in Canada resulting in Montreal not being Canadas number 1 city and the English demographic being reduced to a mere 8% of Quebecs population almost all of whom live in Montreal.
Had the language issue never arisen? i believe Montreal would still be Canadas number 1 city and the francophones wouldnt have turned into Anglophones.
On a country wide perspective? if there were no francophones? life would pretty much be unchanged from what it is today maybe a lot of money would be saved in the uneeded expense of making everything bilingual in places where bilingualism is not needed.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:56 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
I heard in the 1970s Montreal was becoming more Anglophone, and the Quebec government was worried French would die out so they enacted laws to prevent that from happening. One result of this was the exodus of businesses and capital to Toronto and other Canadian cities, and Toronto overtaking Montreal in financial importance. This happened around the time Montreal hosted the Olympics. I'm curious, I know it's speculation, but how do you think Montreal would be different today, aside from obviously being more English speaking, if say, most people most English as their first language? Would it still be the largest city? Do you think some of the distinctive Quebecois culture would be lost? I mean a similar thing happened in New Orleans, but they retained their distinctive culture.

How would it affect Canada as a whole? Would Montreal and Toronto both maybe have 5 million people, instead of Toronto having 6 million and Montreal 4 million? A bit more like Australia where Sydney and Melbourne are very equal in importance?
Did you not ask this same question some years ago under a different name?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
All speculation and opinion but Montreal was never primarily English yet was Canadas number 1 city, then this idea came along that all the francophones were becoming Anglophones so a referendum on separation was enacted,then draconian language legislation was put in place via bill 101 accompanied by the OQLF or as we like to call them the language police another referendum ensued ,end result many Anglophones and their businesses and head offices have moved elsewhere in Canada resulting in Montreal not being Canadas number 1 city and the English demographic being reduced to a mere 8% of Quebecs population almost all of whom live in Montreal.
Had the language issue never arisen? i believe Montreal would still be Canadas number 1 city and the francophones wouldnt have turned into Anglophones.
On a country wide perspective? if there were no francophones? life would pretty much be unchanged from what it is today maybe a lot of money would be saved in the uneeded expense of making everything bilingual in places where bilingualism is not needed.
Predictable!

Old 06-13-2015, 05:41 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
MTL is an island you see and it would have sunk from the weight of all the added high rises , head offices not to mention those obese anglo fatcats and their thick wallets.

In hindsight we now know those FLQ freedom fighters were really far sighted ecologists.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Predictable!
Instead of coming up with these irrelevant one word posts why not address the topics premise with your own take, it is a discussion forum after all.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Instead of coming up with these irrelevant one word posts why not address the topics premise with your own take, it is a discussion forum after all.
I know, I know.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:37 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Montreal would probably be a bigger city and its economy stronger. If English had become the primary language, there wouldn't be so many Haitiens, Latinos and Arabs, there would probably be a lot more Chinese and Indians like every other city in Canada, and the Jewish and Anglo Caribbean population would probably also be much bigger.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:55 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
It most likely would of been less Catholic.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:34 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Quote:
Mirabel would have been built as well and Montreal would have had the largest airport in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada