Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM

310 posts, read 1,700,407 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend good websites for viewing Canadian TV online?

Live-stream or not, current or past programming, scripted shows as well as news, sports. In English or French, from CBC & other networks, from Toronto, Montreal, other cities, other provinces. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
The French-language network of the CBC, SRC, has an online TV show site called www.tou.tv.

Best shows on there are:

Les Parent
Mauvais Karma
Les Rescapés
Les Hauts et les Bas de Sophie Paquin
Tout sur moi
La Galère

If you want something a bit more out there, you can watch 3600 Secondes d'Extase or Infoman...

Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
I watch hockey online on TSN
TSN - Canada's Sports Leader

Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
www.tou.tv is giving me a message that due to rights. the content can only be viewed in Canada.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
www.tou.tv is giving me a message that due to rights. the content can only be viewed in Canada.
Sorry, never thought of that.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 PM

310 posts, read 1,700,407 times
Default I'm the OP & live in the USA...

so too bad about that tou.tv website! Any other suggestions for websites that would work in the States for French or English language Canadian TV stations/programs?

BTW, the reason I'm asking about this is that I miss living right next to Canada & getting to see Canadian television! Currently reside in North Carolina but during the 60s & 70s, I grew up in Western New York State (Niagara Falls, NY) as a child/teen & then lived over 20yrs in Buffalo NY. Always thought it was great to live on an international border with access to another country's radio/tv programs. This was even before Cable TV so extra TV channels were appreciated! And the CBC news shows always gave a different perspective & covered more international news.

Sometimes feel very nostalgic about my experience living next to Canada (anyone else?) Have great memories of some weird Canadian TV programs, strange 60s & 70s kids' shows & sit-coms w/ many future actors/stars originally from Canada who would later go on to fame here in the States. (Ex: Dan Ackroyd was on a kids show from Toronto in the early 70s before becoming part of the original Saturday Night Live cast?) In addition, I remember some truly unusual comedy shows from Halifax, Nova Scotia (?) -- a comedy troupe w/ regional accents? Also, always appreciated that the CBC (from Toronto) showed great films, offbeat movies, both foreign & Canadian ones (in the 1960s, got to see all these Ingmar Bergman films on CBC, the kind of films never shown on US channels in those days!) And always lots of UK programs with strange slang & accents (Coronation Street, etc.) that were never offered on any US TV channels (even through the present day?)

And of course, there was Saturday night Hockey Night in Canada with that great opening theme music! (heard that they no longer use that music?) At least I get to see the feed for Hockey Night in Canada here on the NHL Network Saturday nights.

I've often thought this -- back in the 60s & 70s when I was growing up in Western NY, in those years before Cable/Satellite TV with it's hundreds/thousands of different channels, in that time before the Internet w/ its worldwide access -- back then it was so valuable for a child/teen like me to have access to another nation's media (tv/radio) for a different, wider perspective on the world. As much as I've seen & heard Canadians claiming that their upbringings were very insular & "provincial" (and at the same time, they felt "upstaged" by the USA with its dominance in music & Hollywood movies) -- for me as an American, being able to access Canadian tv/radio stations gave me an alternate perspective away from that US dominance. And I've always been grateful for that. (And often wondered-- during that time was this kinda unique? a perspective available only to those of us living on the US/Canadian border? anyone else experience this?)

Hope I can get more suggestions for good websites to view Canadian TV programming. both past & present! Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
If you still have family in Western New York you can hook up a Slingbox on their end and have it streamed to your computer in North Carolina: Sling Media - What is Placeshifting?

Better yet you can even get a device that will stream it right to your TV called the Slingcatcher.

I can watch The National, Hockey Night in Canada and all the good Canadian stuff right from my suburban New York City home. I can also see the Buffalo channels too, so when I want to see the Bills or Sabres play I can, even though I'm 400 miles away.

You should look into it.

You can also get CBC radio on Sirius sateliite radio. I listen to it on the way to work frequently.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 AM

5 posts, read 8,985 times
you can search on google to download the software for viewing the channels

Old 05-05-2011, 05:51 AM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
I watched the elections the other night live on the CBC's website. Not sure if you can usually watch news on their website or if it was a special feature for the elections.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
I watched the elections the other night live on the CBC's website. Not sure if you can usually watch news on their website or if it was a special feature for the elections.
Stumbled across it.. but CSPAN2 was also carrying the CBC feed that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada