U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:42 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,364,889 times

Advertisements

I have thought about moving to Canada off and on over the past 5 or so years, but was always turned off by the weather. After scouring the US for a place to relocate, we realized that to get what we want we are going to have to move north and settled on Minneapolis, Minnesota. We are happy with that choice, but seeing as the weather there is pretty much the same as Canada's, I thought I would take a more serious look into moving there. The problem is, it is so BIG, I don't know where to start!

For no particular reason, I am more drawn to the west coast, but Vancouver seems to be VERY expensive. Ontario is out because we have a pit bull and pit mix coming with us (nonnegotiable; we are aware of the difficulties in trying to rent, get insurance, etc, not a deterrent). St John's, Newfoundland looked very interesting until I saw where it was :/. So far east, waaayyy up north!! I honestly don't know much about the rest of Canada.

We have three small children, so education and quality schools are very important. I like suburban/city life with museums and cultural events and easy errand running, but also enjoy getting out in nature, hiking and my husband loves fishing. We are a single income family forever on a tight budget, so cost of living needs to be reasonable/doable.

Also anyone transfer with your company from the US to Canada? I know my husband's company has Canadian sites, but I haven't looked into where exactly yet. I know transferring will probably make things easier, but I don't want to limit ourselves either. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 07:57 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,472,040 times
Have tou even started by looking at the Immigration Canada website to see if you even qualify?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Have tou even started by looking at the Immigration Canada website to see if you even qualify?
I will look into the technicalities. Right now I just want to learn about the different areas.

FWIW, we have looked into moving to other countries before and always qualify. I know each place is different, but I am not worried .

Old 06-18-2015, 12:50 PM

32 posts, read 23,459 times
Before moving to Canada read the blog called "my life in exile defacto" written by an American woman who moved to Canada from Michigan and found the culture very strange and unusual. Csnada isn't for everybody.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
Before moving to Canada read the blog called "my life in exile defacto" written by an American woman who moved to Canada from Michigan and found the culture very strange and unusual. Csnada isn't for everybody.

I will look into that, even though I've read a lot about Canadian culture in general over the years and it seems like a good fit for us. I still want to learn about particular areas.

Best, affordable places for families please.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:50 PM

34,411 posts, read 41,518,327 times
You are right its a colossal country and is tough for we forum members to give you the perfect place to live. If you liked Newfoundland but found it to far there are other areas in Canadas maritimes that maybe worth looking into.Nova Scotia/New Brunswick/Prince Edward Island.
http://www.east-coast-golf-vacations...Canada-Map.gif

Old 06-18-2015, 06:49 PM

625 posts, read 1,188,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I have thought about moving to Canada off and on over the past 5 or so years, but was always turned off by the weather. After scouring the US for a place to relocate, we realized that to get what we want we are going to have to move north and settled on Minneapolis, Minnesota. We are happy with that choice, but seeing as the weather there is pretty much the same as Canada's, I thought I would take a more serious look into moving there. The problem is, it is so BIG, I don't know where to start!

For no particular reason, I am more drawn to the west coast, but Vancouver seems to be VERY expensive. Ontario is out because we have a pit bull and pit mix coming with us (nonnegotiable; we are aware of the difficulties in trying to rent, get insurance, etc, not a deterrent). St John's, Newfoundland looked very interesting until I saw where it was :/. So far east, waaayyy up north!! I honestly don't know much about the rest of Canada.

We have three small children, so education and quality schools are very important. I like suburban/city life with museums and cultural events and easy errand running, but also enjoy getting out in nature, hiking and my husband loves fishing. We are a single income family forever on a tight budget, so cost of living needs to be reasonable/doable.

Also anyone transfer with your company from the US to Canada? I know my husband's company has Canadian sites, but I haven't looked into where exactly yet. I know transferring will probably make things easier, but I don't want to limit ourselves either. TIA!
Why would you leave Minneapolis, which sounds like a great city with a reasonable cost of living, and no doubt a place you're established, to go to Canada? Unless you are looking for a smaller city to move to and do not require the diversity of a metro area (since you've ruled out Ontario and Vancouver, and I take it are not considering Montreal?) Ruling out these places you're sort of left with Halifax, the prairies or a smaller city in BC.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:59 PM

2,564 posts, read 2,183,378 times
Wait, why rule out Ontario altogether? It's a huge province with a number of large and smaller cities to choose from.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:07 PM

632 posts, read 685,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Wait, why rule out Ontario altogether? It's a huge province with a number of large and smaller cities to choose from.
Ban on pitbulls

Old 06-18-2015, 09:16 PM

957 posts, read 1,548,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I will look into that, even though I've read a lot about Canadian culture in general over the years and it seems like a good fit for us. I still want to learn about particular areas.

Best, affordable places for families please.
Hi, could you tell me what Canadian culture is really like? I've only been to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, which means I was on Canadian soil for just about an hour. I mean, how are Canadians different from Americans personality- and mentality-wise? And what do you think is strange about their culture like Bevertail says? Some of the comments here sound quite interesting as I used to think Canada is pretty much "the 51st state of the US(No offense to Canadians)."

Oh, and I am asking about the Anglo-Canadian culture only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or