Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,466 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am Tina and Permenant Resident of Canada.
I am in touch with one guy for marriage purpose. His sister is in Toronto. With her help, he is coming here on visitor visa, is it advisable to get married when he is here. Will it be possible to get his permenant resident visa after marriage or Canadian Embassy can create any legal problems? As I am meeting him here for first time.

Thanks a lot in advance for your guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 11:35 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
It may be possible for you to sponsor a spouse, but htere are certain requirements to be met. They are fully explained at : Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children

In addition, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will examine your marriage to ensure it is a valid relationship and not one entered into for the purpose of immigration. You will be required to prove to CIC that your relationship is valid.

If your relationship is found to be invalid, your spouse will be denied PR status and you may face legal action for attempting to deceive CIC.

Marrying someone just to get them into the country seems kind of goofy when, if things don't work out, you'll be the one facing the potential problems.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Watch out. They have ways of catching you of they think your marriage is a sham!

Old 06-16-2015, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
Hi I am in Canada for the 3rd time now my girlfriend has been here since 2012. I hold a business visa for five years and we want to get married while I am in Canada. Help me if it's possible since we wanna get married in July or August 2015.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Watch out. They have ways of catching you of they think your marriage is a sham!
The tip-off for me was the last name of the poster perhaps indicating membership in a family that still adheres to that stupid "arranged marriage" nonsense.

This person could very well be a daughter subjugated into one of those retarded arrangements through allegiance to a faux family honour code.

Nice to know that Canada is currently discussing proposing legislation about barbaric beliefs and honour killings.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:33 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina Patel View Post
Hi,
I am Tina and Permenant Resident of Canada.
I am in touch with one guy for marriage purpose. His sister is in Toronto. With her help, he is coming here on visitor visa, is it advisable to get married when he is here. Will it be possible to get his permenant resident visa after marriage or Canadian Embassy can create any legal problems? As I am meeting him here for first time.

Thanks a lot in advance for your guidance!
Why would you want to take on the financial responsibility of this man?

"If you sponsor a family member to immigrate to Canada, you must provide proof that you can:
  • meet basic needs—such as food, clothing and shelter—for yourself and your family,
  • support your relative financially and
  • make sure your spouse or relative does not need to ask for financial help from the government."
Sponsor your spouse, partner or children

Check out these charming stories: financial responsibility for three years regardless of status of the marriage.

Marriage to Cuban leaves Brampton bride brokenhearted — and broke | Toronto Star

Canadians tricked by sham marriages | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Old 06-20-2015, 07:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manje View Post
Hi I am in Canada for the 3rd time now my girlfriend has been here since 2012. I hold a business visa for five years and we want to get married while I am in Canada. Help me if it's possible since we wanna get married in July or August 2015.
Yes, you can get married in Canada, there are no citizenship or residency requirements but this does not automatically give you residency status in Canada.

Sponsor your spouse, partner or children- Government of Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada