U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 AM

2,562 posts, read 2,181,544 times

Advertisements

Wait, why do we have 6 Quebec independence related threads up all at once again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 09:10 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post

Not wanting to be part of it isn't exactly the same thing as wishing for "the destruction of Canada"... Geez.
This is a tactic to avoid intelligent discussion. Its kind of like don't negotiate with terrorists type of mentality. There is probably a segment in Quebec that simply don't want to negotiate or discuss - the goal is simply to separate but there are those who are on the fence and ongoing discussion is beneficial. I think we can't take any Province for granted either (something we do and why Quebec is seen as a troublemaker). Who is to say for example that Ontario won't start wanting to discuss our position in Canada and advocate for greater decentralization.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh two silly examples.. How old are they anyway lol... If it was constant new material you'd be on to something but Rick Mercer's talking to Americans - you know that is old when you look at how people dress and how their hair is styled in those vids - totally straddling the 90's there
So you're telling me the mindset (of a certain segment of the Canadian population - not everyone of course) has changed since then to the point where this sentiment no longer exists at all?

Why the sea-change and why now?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So you're telling me the mindset (of a certain segment of the Canadian population - not everyone of course) has changed since then to the point where this sentiment no longer exists at all?

Why the sea-change and why now?
I'm saying these are two examples.. I'm saying they are a product of media not the 'mindset' of Canadians as a whole for time in perpetuity and they are OLD.... I'm saying you're citing examples and making a mountain out of a mole-hill.. On top of that you are sending this thread into a discussion about the U.S.. Now of course, you are far from being a troll AJ - but why are you asking me to make an argument that for or against a Canadians obsession with the U.S.. If you need me to do that come to Toronto and spend two weeks with me and you'll see i'm obsessed with a lot of things - the U.S isn't one of them lol...

Here i'll make an argument and say this respectfully - stay on topic and stop throwing this Canadians are obsessed with the U.S stuff around so much and citing threads that don't even do that until some outside trigger starts forcing the U.S down our throat.. Who is forcing the U.S into this discussion now?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:27 AM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Wait, why do we have 6 Quebec independence related threads up all at once again?
I thought these endless topics about Quebec were ongoing however if you feel they have been recently revived it would be easy to discover who is reviving them.

As for the ROC being obsessed with the USA i'd say Quebecers are equally obsessed as if you take the linguistic aspect out of the equation most Quebec cities look like anyplace USA with all the same big box stores,fast food joints,same cars and trucks,people wearing the same clothing,listening to the same music as our neighbors to the south.
Typical view in Montreal=
http://emplois.restomontreal.ca/uplo...49_logo-88.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 06-25-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 AM

More on topic - at least a bit. From the good guys vs. bad guys file (letting you guys decide which is which)...

Longueuil (Montreal suburb) city councillor Robert Myles has, for almost a year now, been making every single intervention in English and French at council meetings. The city is less than 5% anglo and does not have a legal bilingual designation. As a result, each of his interventions is almost 20 minutes long, while the other councillors average 2-3 minutes.

Recently, the mayor got fed up with this and reminded everyone that city council meetings should take place in French as this was the law. (Although if anglo citizens want to address council in their language they are accommodated.)

Guess who got death threats as a result of his or her behaviour?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ents-1.3127024

A perfect example IMO of stuff that hurts the Quebec anglo community more than it helps it.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:53 AM

You mean this story where the mayor wants to change bill101 to prohibit English?

Caroline St-Hilaire, Longueuil mayor, receives death threats over language comments - Canada - CBC News

As for the death threats?Unsubstantiated allegations probably initiated by separatists to make Anglos look bad.
The mayors actions being a perfect example IMO of how English in Quebec is being systematically eradicated.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-25-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 AM

Ewen: Senseless anti-American hate from Canadian soccer fans confounds Sydney Leroux

Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 AM

You're really on a tirade today eh AJ.. spooool em up....lol

Anyway - there are enough soccer fans the world over who are a bunch of nationalistic morons...

Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 AM

We're talking about soccer now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or