U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times

Advertisements

Not all sports fans are noobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We're talking about soccer now?
Yeah soon we're going to be talking about Grandma's fruitcake recipe lol...

Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,013,011 times
That girl is sexy and a bad ass footballer, thats all I gotta say.

The hate towards her has been especially vile though, especially since much of it has contained racial undertones.

She made the right decision though. She plays for the better program and as a result signed a long term endorsement deal with Nike. Anyone who follows Womens football knows that these girls only make money off endorsements, not their salary.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
That girl is sexy and a bad ass footballer, thats all I gotta say.

The hate towards her has been especially vile though, especially since many of it has contained racial undertones.
Some beer, adrenaline and competition brings out the worst in some noobs including horrible examples of sexism.. Did you hear what happen to the Hydro One Employee at a Toronto FC game.

Hydro One firing employee involved in vulgar incident at Toronto FC game | Toronto Star

Sad thing is - this FHRITP thing is somewhat of a global phenom..

Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,013,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Some beer, adrenaline and competition brings out the worst in some noobs including horrible examples of sexism.. Did you hear what happen to the Hydro One Employee at a Toronto FC game.

Hydro One firing employee involved in vulgar incident at Toronto FC game | Toronto Star

Sad thing is - this FHRITP thing is somewhat of a global phenom..
Yeah I am glad the sportscaster called them out on that and made those guys look like fools. It should be handled that way everywhere this happens (Which is EVERYWHERE unfortunately)

Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Yeah I am glad the sportscaster called them out on that and made those guys look like fools. It should be handled that way everywhere this happens (Which is EVERYWHERE unfortunately)
Yeah there Is whole youtube compilations about this from across the globe.. Nobody should be given a free pass.. Some reporters have actually clocked the perpetrators lol - sweet justice

Old 06-25-2015, 11:49 AM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Quote:
If you look at the US forums there are a lot more U.S posters in C/D so these little outsider terrorists if you will wouldn't be as impactful there. The Canada forums really has only a small group of dedicated regulars most if not all of whom are decent posters but yeah a smaller group is going to be more vulnerable. You're right though - we could ignore them its just so hard to do that so here we are keep spinning the wheels... Obsessed with the U.S.. Nah.. I talk about the U.S more in here than anywhere else in my life because we keep getting that pie thrown in our faces.

The thread about what Makes you proud of Toronto wasn't even talking about the U.S at all until Steeps from Chicago came in and accused us of boosterism and throwing in our face what's so great about Chicago even though none of us had mentioned the U.S/Chicago until he starts throwing pies.

Anyway, with such a small knit little community in here, sometimes things become more about personalities than it does about nations.
True for me as well. The only time the US comes up in real life conversations is when I or someone I know is travelling there, when something newsworthy happens in the US that affects Canada, or when speaking to one of the thousands of tourists that come to Vancouver.

Even then with tourists the conversation only goes as deep as " where are you from? "

Old 06-25-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
True for me as well. The only time the US comes up in real life conversations is when I or someone I know is travelling there, when something newsworthy happens in the US that affects Canada, or when speaking to one of the thousands of tourists that come to Vancouver.

Even then with tourists the conversation only goes as deep as " where are you from? "
Concur!

Speaking of tourists in Vancouver.. Is it true that cruise ships are cleared through Canada Customs at YVR airport? Anyway with the lower value of the CAD dollar vs the USD I think this summer is going to be a banner year for tourism in Canada as a whole...

Old 06-25-2015, 01:33 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Quote:
Concur!

Speaking of tourists in Vancouver.. Is it true that cruise ships are cleared through Canada Customs at YVR airport? Anyway with the lower value of the CAD dollar vs the USD I think this summer is going to be a banner year for tourism in Canada as a whole...
Did you mean cruise ship passengers? As you know every international flight's passengers must go through Canada Customs at YVR.

Cruise ship passengers then go through US Customs at the pier before boarding cruises to Alaska.

Everyone coming back go through Canada Customs at the pier.

At YVR passengers going to the US go through US customs at YVR. Same as Pearson.

What you might be referring to, was what I believe was a pilot program, that allowed cruise ship passengers disembarking in Vancouver to go through US customs at the pier and then somehow securely be dropped off pass the US customs at YVR.

I only heard on this in passing and can't find anything on it. It sounds awkward since it only benefits cruise ship passengers who are not staying in Canada immediately after disembarking. Perhaps it just wasn't worth it and a duplication of customs.

I don't have numbers, but cruise ship passengers from the US used to almost bypass staying in Vancouver, but not anymore. Most stay a few days pre and post cruise.

Here's the latest from YVR and Customs etc for cruise ship passengers. It doesn't mention the pilot program.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/cruise_ship.aspx

I started noticing an influx of tourists in my area from all over in April. The weather has been exceptional and is forecasted to be so all summer. We are getting highs of 30 plus inland this weekend, and a high of 41C in places like Lytton, but 36C in places a bit closer to Vancouver, like Chilliwack.
The lakes, and ocean beaches are busy and the place is a hopping.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 PM

66 posts, read 109,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
More on topic - at least a bit. From the good guys vs. bad guys file (letting you guys decide which is which)...

Longueuil (Montreal suburb) city councillor Robert Myles has, for almost a year now, been making every single intervention in English and French at council meetings. The city is less than 5% anglo and does not have a legal bilingual designation. As a result, each of his interventions is almost 20 minutes long, while the other councillors average 2-3 minutes.

Recently, the mayor got fed up with this and reminded everyone that city council meetings should take place in French as this was the law. (Although if anglo citizens want to address council in their language they are accommodated.)

Guess who got death threats as a result of his or her behaviour?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ents-1.3127024

A perfect example IMO of stuff that hurts the Quebec anglo community more than it helps it.
You have to look at the context of this situation to understand why Myles feels this way.

The borough of Greenfield park that he represents had been independent from the
Longueuil agglomeration for its entire existence until 2001.

I know many people from Greenfield park. The culture there is distinct from Longueuil and has a historical anglophone population. Although much smaller then Longueuil, Anglophones represent 35-40% of Greenfield parks population.

I see no problem with there being at most one bilingual councilor in Longueuil.

With that said, I place as much blame on Robert Myles for over sensationalizing the entire thing.

Last edited by Nationalistdefeator; 06-25-2015 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or