U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Reputation: 8602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
You don't understand Québec. No, it is a cozy myth that Canada "protects" Québec from losing our language and heritage. I hate to burst the bubble but English Canada, not the US, is enemy #1 in this regard. What happened to all of the French speakers in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Manitoba? I can assure you, it was not the big bad Americans who made them disappear. It is insulting to see English Canadians pat themself on the back as protectors of French when you were the ones who conquered us and made French for the untermensch in the first place. And that isn't dwelling on history, that is getting facts straight that you are twisting to support Canadian nationalism. As far as a I can tell Americans are no more anti-Québec than English Canadians, if anything they seem to be more sympathetic to Québec than the average English Canadian. So let's get our facts straight instead of doing myths and twisting truths. People like René Levesque protected Québec AGAINST the wants of most English Canadians and became demonized in Canada because of this.

Just like you say, we are a viewed as annoying whiners in Canada, but why is that? We are "whiners" because we dare to stand up for ourselves. This is something that apparently makes many Canadians very angry, that we dare recognize ourself and call the bluffs on myths. Like the untrue myth that English Canadians somehow have protected us from Americans, please give me a break because that is so devoid of truth. I am not a fan of the Pbeauchamp type Canadian unionists but from my view you are the one being just as arrogant.
As much as some will hate to read this, I also don't agree about Canada being a kind of "benevolent buffer" for us.

It certainly was not the case for most of our shared history and so much damage was done that in many cases things were beyond repair when things started to become more French-friendly in the 1960s and 1970s.

While things are still not always hunky-dory today, it would be unfair to not recognize all of the progress that has been made since the 1960s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:59 PM
 
34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The ROC wasn't always so "entirely English"...
Are we talking in terms of today or are we to go back hundreds of years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Are we talking in terms of today or are we to go back hundreds of years?
I used the past tense, so obviously it's not "today".

I am talking as far back as Confederation, but also as recently as the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s in some cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Canada
170 posts, read 137,132 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are whining. What happened in the past is done. Canada has accommodated the French language within Canada since then, very well.
We are not the threat.
English Canada is the threat to French Quebec, not the US, it is the ROC. Can you just drop the blind Canadian nationalism and at least try looking at it from their point of view? At least for once listen to what actual Quebecois have to say instead of telling them to get over it. They aren't all getting to together to make this up. If you are really so pan-Canadian as you claim, at least give a morcel of respect to their perspective, having gone from to 100% of Canada to 20% and being told by you to get over it. The US is only as much of a threat to Quebec as it is to Sweden or the Netherlands. People in Quebec, like in Sweden, indulge in American culture but don't replace their own culture with it. American culture, including English from America, happily exists alongside Quebec culture. English Canada actually replaces Quebec's culture, and without Bill 101 Quebec would have been easily overtaken by English Canada. Even with it, Quebec can only keep things at a standstill. I'm not even French Canadian and I find your remarks arrogant and uninformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
English Canada is the threat to French Quebec, not the US, it is the ROC. Can you just drop the blind Canadian nationalism and at least try looking at it from their point of view? At least for once listen to what actual Quebecois have to say instead of telling them to get over it. They aren't all getting to together to make this up. If you are really so pan-Canadian as you claim, at least give a morcel of respect to their perspective, having gone from to 100% of Canada to 20% and being told by you to get over it. The US is only as much of a threat to Quebec as it is to Sweden or the Netherlands. People in Quebec, like in Sweden, indulge in American culture but don't replace their own culture with it. American culture, including English from America, happily exists alongside Quebec culture. English Canada actually replaces Quebec's culture, and without Bill 101 Quebec would have been easily overtaken by English Canada. Even with it, Quebec can only keep things at a standstill. I'm not even French Canadian and I find your remarks arrogant and uninformed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vodd6C5ryUU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 PM
 
18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Reputation: 13320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
English Canada is the threat to French Quebec, not the US, it is the ROC. Can you just drop the blind Canadian nationalism and at least try looking at it from their point of view? At least for once listen to what actual Quebecois have to say instead of telling them to get over it. They aren't all getting to together to make this up. If you are really so pan-Canadian as you claim, at least give a morcel of respect to their perspective, having gone from to 100% of Canada to 20% and being told by you to get over it. The US is only as much of a threat to Quebec as it is to Sweden or the Netherlands. People in Quebec, like in Sweden, indulge in American culture but don't replace their own culture with it. American culture, including English from America, happily exists alongside Quebec culture. English Canada actually replaces Quebec's culture, and without Bill 101 Quebec would have been easily overtaken by English Canada. Even with it, Quebec can only keep things at a standstill. I'm not even French Canadian and I find your remarks arrogant and uninformed.
What a crock of shyte!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Quebec
30 posts, read 25,803 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
English Canada is the threat to French Quebec, not the US, it is the ROC. Can you just drop the blind Canadian nationalism and at least try looking at it from their point of view? At least for once listen to what actual Quebecois have to say instead of telling them to get over it. They aren't all getting to together to make this up. If you are really so pan-Canadian as you claim, at least give a morcel of respect to their perspective, having gone from to 100% of Canada to 20% and being told by you to get over it. The US is only as much of a threat to Quebec as it is to Sweden or the Netherlands. People in Quebec, like in Sweden, indulge in American culture but don't replace their own culture with it. American culture, including English from America, happily exists alongside Quebec culture. English Canada actually replaces Quebec's culture, and without Bill 101 Quebec would have been easily overtaken by English Canada. Even with it, Quebec can only keep things at a standstill. I'm not even French Canadian and I find your remarks arrogant and uninformed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
You don't understand Québec. No, it is a cozy myth that Canada "protects" Québec from losing our language and heritage. I hate to burst the bubble but English Canada, not the US, is enemy #1 in this regard. What happened to all of the French speakers in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Newfoundland, and Manitoba? I can assure you, it was not the big bad Americans who made them disappear. It is insulting to see English Canadians pat themself on the back as protectors of French when you were the ones who conquered us and made French for the untermensch in the first place. And that isn't dwelling on history, that is getting facts straight that you are twisting to support Canadian nationalism. As far as a I can tell Americans are no more anti-Québec than English Canadians, if anything they seem to be more sympathetic to Québec than the average English Canadian. So let's get our facts straight instead of doing myths and twisting truths. People like René Levesque protected Québec AGAINST the wants of most English Canadians and became demonized in Canada because of this.

Just like you say, we are a viewed as annoying whiners in Canada, but why is that? We are "whiners" because we dare to stand up for ourselves. This is something that apparently makes many Canadians very angry, that we dare recognize ourself and call the bluffs on myths. Like the untrue myth that English Canadians somehow have protected us from Americans, please give me a break because that is so devoid of truth. I am not a fan of the Pbeauchamp type Canadian unionists but from my view you are the one being just as arrogant.
Such good explanations, yes! These last 3 or 4 pages are good displays of how Québec needs our independence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,284 posts, read 15,762,848 times
Reputation: 9858
Quebecers are the Texans of the country of Canada in that there are a number who want to seceed from their country but ultimately nothing happens no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Quebec
30 posts, read 25,803 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Quebecers are the Texans of the country of Canada in that there are a number who want to seceed from their country but ultimately nothing happens no matter what.
When do 49% of Texans vote for independence? Only 2-4% will vote for that in Texas when the real referendum is placed in front of them. It is not similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,284 posts, read 15,762,848 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
When do 49% of Texans vote for independence? Only 2-4% will vote for that in Texas when the real referendum is placed in front of them. It is not similar.
And would 49% of Quebecers still vote for Quebec independence? It seems like more and more Texans and Arizonans would in fact vote for independence as politics do get more polarized in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top