U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 05:04 AM

34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And would 49% of Quebecers still vote for Quebec independence? It seems like more and more Texans and Arizonans would in fact vote for independence as politics do get more polarized in the states.
Quebec separation is a very real possibility, it was only recently the separatist party was running the province.Texans and Arizonans are no where near comparable in their potential for separation as the whole movement is coming from a few RWNJs that seem to be stuck in an 1800s mentality. where as in the province of Quebec you have an entire distinct culture living in one place where the idea of having their own country is a very real concept/dream and with the new separatist leader Pierre Karl Peladeau the staunch billionaire firebrand whos dream is to bring about Quebec separation perhaps an impact on that 49% can be achieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 AM

66 posts, read 109,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are right ,the unmitigated gall of the man being so presumptuous as to think he can speak in English at a city council meeting in Quebec. his mere act of doing so is by default over sensationalizing the entire thing, obviously a disgruntled Angryphone,We'll fix him we'll change Bill101 to ban English in such future similar circumstances..Speaking English?the very idea,off with his head.
Perhaps, I shouldn't have said over-sensationalizing. I just believe that at this point there's nothing he can do to make any difference by doing this.As you mentioned, there's a systematic and subtle eradication of Anglophones in the province.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:21 AM

66 posts, read 109,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I am not super familiar with the south shore, is there or were there any other Anglo enclaves on the south shore besides Greenfield park and St.Lambert areas?
Brossard is home to a significant amount as well,though its a relatively new phenomenon here.I'd gauge that the Allophone population in Brossard is split 50-50 in terms of allegiance to anglophone or francophone culture and Allophones make up nearly 40% of Brossard.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
Perhaps, I shouldn't have said over-sensationalizing. I just believe that at this point there's nothing he can do to make any difference by doing this.As you mentioned, there's a systematic and subtle eradication of Anglophones in the province.
Mr Myles is a fluently bilingual Anglophone who represents a sizeable Anglo demographic of Anglophones in his Greenfield Park constituency, He was well within his rights to be speaking French first then translating what he said to English which rubbed the separatist mayor the wrong way where she made the comment= "language law Bill 101 should be reopened to make it illegal to speak English during the council sessions"
A prime example of the attitude that is leading to the eradication of the once significant Anglo co-culture of Quebec and a harbinger of the future if Quebec ever separates..
At this point the Anglo population of Quebec has been reduced to a mere 8%

Last edited by jambo101; 06-27-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Quote:
Quebec separation is a very real possibility, it was only recently the separatist party was running the province.Texans and Arizonans are no where near comparable in their potential for separation as the whole movement is coming from a few RWNJs that seem to be stuck in an 1800s mentality. where as in the province of Quebec you have an entire distinct culture living in one place where the idea of having their own country is a very real concept/dream and with the new separatist leader Pierre Karl Peladeau the staunch billionaire firebrand whos dream is to bring about Quebec separation perhaps an impact on that 49% can be achieved.
Just because a separatist party can be running the province at any given time doesn't make independence a sure thing Jambo. Prior to the last PQ government - Charest a staunch federalist was the Premier for longer than any other one I can remember - what was is it almost ten years? The voting history when it comes to political parties in Quebec is a very dynamic thing.. Voting to separate hasn't been as dynamic and its been now 20 years since the last referendum.. Wasn't Marois - the last PQ Premier given a clear signal by the majority of Quebecers not to touch another referendum last provincial election which she complied and still ultimately got cut down in by Mr Couillard? It will be interesting to see how the Bloc does this October.. Good to see Mr Duceppe again entering the fray - since he left I haven't heard of them on a federal level but he managed to make his way into English newspapers

Even if PKP wins his election in what 4 years from now.. Will he be able to drum up the support of Quebec to the likes of a Levesque, Bouchard, Parizeau is anyone's guess. Maybe his money and media clout will work to his advantage but his political stance on other things used against him. Also, if he will gain traction with Quebecers you'll get many other powerful people on the other side resorting to tactics in kind to promote their agenda.

Couple all that with some other complications re the clarity act that some would love to ignore but is still the law of the land and it still seems like an independent Quebec is more of a dream these days than a probability. Possibility yes - probability not as much and if there is a referendum in the future the question won't be hokey pokey like previous one's.. It will have to be a very clear question.. Here are key points from the Clarity Act which was passed into Law in 2000

The key points of the legislation include the following:
  • Giving the House of Commons the power to decide whether a proposed referendum question was considered clear before the public vote;
  • Specifically stating that any question not solely referring to secession was to be considered unclear;
  • Giving the House of Commons the power to determine whether or not a clear majority had expressed itself following any referendum vote, implying that some sort of supermajority is required for success;
  • Stating that all provinces and the First Nations were to be part of the negotiations;
  • Allowing the House of Commons to override a referendum decision if it felt the referendum violated any of the tenets of the Clarity Act;
  • The secession of a province of Canada would require an amendment to the Constitution of Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarity_Act

PKP is simply not above the laws of Canada.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-27-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Mr Myles is a fluently bilingual Anglophone who represents a sizeable Anglo demographic of Anglophones in his Greenfield Park constituency, He was well within his rights to be speaking French first then translating what he said to English which rubbed the separatist mayor the wrong way where she made the comment= "language law Bill 101 should be reopened to make it illegal to speak English during the council sessions"
A prime example of the attitude that is leading to the eradication of the once significant Anglo co-culture of Quebec and a harbinger of the future if Quebec ever separates..
At this point the Anglo population of Quebec has been reduced to a mere 8%
Do you know what the population of Anglo Quebec was in 1995 in terms of percentage of population? I ask because even though as you say the Anglo population of Quebec has been reduced, support for separation is also reduced from 1995 levels.. I believe support is now hovering at 40 percent for 60 percent against (not 49 percent like you stated earlier do you have a source for 49 percent of Quebecers supporting separation in Quebec in 2015?) You can't go by support levels in 95 Jambo this is 2015 lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 06-27-2015 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 09:23 AM

Thats a lot to rebut fusion, lets just say IMO separatism is alive and well in todays Quebec,while it may not have the numbers to actually pull off separation at the moment they do have the numbers to make it not beyond the realms of possibility particularly if the PQ get back in power, 40% support for separation can change easily and quickly to a point where separatists are re elected and a referendum called.
As for % of English in the past? its probably a lot more than it is now, Exact numbers are probably in here somewhere
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-speaking_Quebecer

Old 06-27-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Thats a lot to rebut fusion, lets just say IMO separatism is alive and well in todays Quebec,while it may not have the numbers to actually pull off separation at the moment they do have the numbers to make it not beyond the realms of possibility particularly if the PQ get back in power, 40% support for separation can change easily and quickly to a point where separatists are re elected and a referendum called.
As for % of English in the past? its probably a lot more than it is now, Exact numbers are probably in here somewhere
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-speaking_Quebecer
Well there's always a lot to rebut on both sides Jambo.. I'm just saying don't dismiss the federalist machine either.. If its threatened it can also start churning as well so i'm sure there will be underhanded tactics on both sides and don't discount the money and influence that exists the other way.. Right now its dormant because the fundamental threat is not really there. 40 percent is absolutely significant and consistent (and very vocal and expressive sans Vive, Bonjour and yourself) but it hasn't really spiked above that since 95 and since 95 the PQ has been in power yet not a whole lot of referendum traction - certainly not like the momentum Parizeau and Bouchard garnered... I remember 95 Jambo and Parizeau/Bouchard were a seperatist dream team at the time.. PKP has big shoes to fill and if he gains similar traction he'll be in for a fight!

You mentioned the reduction in percentage of English Quebecers over time in your previous post so I went with that.. If it has stayed at consistent levels or even grown that is fine. I'm sure most English Quebecers would vote yes but a referendum just seems so distant these days. Possibility yes - its always a possibility. Lots of things are possible.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:30 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
What a crock of shyte!
You beat me to it.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Do you know what the population of Anglo Quebec was in 1995 in terms of percentage of population? I ask because even though as you say the Anglo population of Quebec has been reduced, support for separation is also reduced from 1995 levels.. I believe support is now hovering at 40 percent for 60 percent against (not 49 percent like you stated earlier do you have a source for 49 percent of Quebecers supporting separation in Quebec in 2015?) You can't go by support levels in 95 Jambo this is 2015 lol..
What is your take on Mr Myles actions? are you in agreement that his right to speak English should be censured?does this in any way lead you to believe there might be a larger problem than just an overzealous separatist Mayor in Longueuil?.
While most of my posts on this subject maybe considered negative or the rantings of an Angryphone stories like this one are very frequent here in Quebec and as some one who thinks the Anglo Culture in Quebec has the right to be respected as a major co-culture here in Quebec its frustrating to have to put up with all this constant anti Anglo c rap and be expected to abide by all manner of draconian linguistic rules and regulations.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-27-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or