U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nothing worse than ambiguity on topics so important to the nation.
Nation(s)

I figure I had to point it out before the PQ Patriots beat me to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nation(s)

I figure I had to point it out before the PQ Patriots beat me to it.
You can if you want - i'll stick with the regular singular version of the word as I think it best encapsulates the majority view in the nation. Happy Canada Day.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:48 PM

18,326 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Believe me, this has been done. Maybe in English Canada Quebec independence is seen as a "Latin" fancy that wouldn't pass any serious "Anglo-Saxon" cool-headed evaluation process, but it's one of the independence scenarios that's been the most academically studied in the world. In 1995, for example, the Quebec government (or at least Jacques Parizeau) had almost a minute-by-minute list of all that needed to be done starting from the moment where the CBC announced a Yes victory, to ensure that Quebec managed to get through it. If there's ever another referendum, there's no reason to believe it'd be any different.

And about the Clarity Act: it seems it's also popular in English Canada to view francophone Quebecers as a poor, uneducated people manipulated by their paranoid, malevolent elites (as opposed to anglophones who I guess are always clear-headed about what they're voting for), but the fact is that people knew what they were voting for in both referendums. As evidenced by the very high turnout, people knew this was some big deal.

The fact is, ChevySpoons, francophone Quebecers don't need the help of anglophones to know how to be a modern, developed, democratic society. We're able to do this by ourselves, no matter what horror stories your media might cook up about what would happen if Quebec separated, or the PQ came into power again, or Quebec passes some law about secularism, or (I dunno) the Quebec government seems to want to put some conditions on a pipeline the rest of Canada is all gung-ho about or something.
Yeah all those French speaking prime ministers we kept electing from the province of Quebec were just the manifestation of a dastardly plot to lull you into a false sense of security until we could strike you about the head with the malevolent English mallet.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:09 PM

30 posts, read 25,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Believe me, this has been done. Maybe in English Canada Quebec independence is seen as a "Latin" fancy that wouldn't pass any serious "Anglo-Saxon" cool-headed evaluation process, but it's one of the independence scenarios that's been the most academically studied in the world. In 1995, for example, the Quebec government (or at least Jacques Parizeau) had almost a minute-by-minute list of all that needed to be done starting from the moment where the CBC announced a Yes victory, to ensure that Quebec managed to get through it. If there's ever another referendum, there's no reason to believe it'd be any different.

And about the Clarity Act: it seems it's also popular in English Canada to view francophone Quebecers as a poor, uneducated people manipulated by their paranoid, malevolent elites (as opposed to anglophones who I guess are always clear-headed about what they're voting for), but the fact is that people knew what they were voting for in both referendums. As evidenced by the very high turnout, people knew this was some big deal.

The fact is, ChevySpoons, francophone Quebecers don't need the help of anglophones to know how to be a modern, developed, democratic society. We're able to do this by ourselves, no matter what horror stories your media might cook up about what would happen if Quebec separated, or the PQ came into power again, or Quebec passes some law about secularism, or (I dunno) the Quebec government seems to want to put some conditions on a pipeline the rest of Canada is all gung-ho about or something.
Yea this is right! You made a good summary of the attitudes of ROC towards Quebec. I have read this thread and this is the attitude shown over and over. Little understanding of Quebec but a condescending attitude.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:22 AM

7 posts, read 5,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
Yea this is right! You made a good summary of the attitudes of ROC towards Quebec. I have read this thread and this is the attitude shown over and over. Little understanding of Quebec but a condescending attitude.
I can't wait for Quebec to be independent, good riddance. Most people who want Quebec to stay in Canada are old. Younger people are MUCH more supportive of your independence, so fear not. Let's be honest, Quebec brings NOTHING to the table in Canada. Xenophobic racism and over the top whining? That's not something that I count as an asset. It might not happen for a few decades but I have full faith that you will achieve your final independence and support for it is growing in Real Canada. Quebecios aren't REAL Canadians anyways, never have been.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 PM

625 posts, read 1,189,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
I've been in Canada two years (west coast) and mostly when I hear Quebec mentioned its in the context of how cool Montreal is and how they've got a great culture. French immersion education is popular (I've voiced my opinion that in BC we should be offering immersion in other languages too!), friends have studied French in Montreal or love to visit, etc. I don't sense

If the topic of sovereignty comes up at all, I've noticed there is very little respect or understanding for that position amongst older people, at all, while younger people seem to feel more that if it were to leave, they'd miss Quebec being a part of Canada ... just my own person's experiences.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:24 AM

237 posts, read 186,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaker83 View Post
I can't wait for Quebec to be independent, good riddance. Most people who want Quebec to stay in Canada are old. Younger people are MUCH more supportive of your independence, so fear not. Let's be honest, Quebec brings NOTHING to the table in Canada. Xenophobic racism and over the top whining? That's not something that I count as an asset. It might not happen for a few decades but I have full faith that you will achieve your final independence and support for it is growing in Real Canada. Quebecios aren't REAL Canadians anyways, never have been.
Francophones were Canadians before any anglophone ever identified like that. Get your facts in order please. British only came to settle in Canada as a plan B after losing their colonies in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_%28New_France%29

Old 07-04-2015, 04:08 PM

34,434 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Seems the French were the dominant demographic in all of North America until the Anglos came and basically took over the whole show relegating the mighty francophone demographic of North America to a small minority in an obscure area in a province of Canada.Why was this allowed to happen?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:14 AM

359 posts, read 264,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems the French were the dominant demographic in all of North America until the Anglos came and basically took over the whole show relegating the mighty francophone demographic of North America to a small minority in an obscure area in a province of Canada.Why was this allowed to happen?
What's your point? We made an agreement with the British to form Canada and now we are partners.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:19 AM

734 posts, read 854,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
What's your point? We made an agreement with the British to form Canada and now we are partners.
Some partner you are PB, by your own admission you are only in it for the taking not unlike a large swath of the french electorate I reckon.

You would never live up to your end of the deal if your fortunes were ever to turn _ although that is looking less and less likely on each yearly Quebec provincial budgets lol

The way I see it is we are paying a toll for our access to the maritimes hence why we are building you that shiny new bridge near MTL which you folks couldnt afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or