U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Montreal
419 posts, read 278,719 times
Reputation: 311

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And here you have the classic example of the attitude that wants all Anglos out of Quebec.
Do we really need people who may protest against Quebecs draconian language laws? nah lets get rid of em all eh!..
Not to worry No Manners Quebecs mission is close to a successful completion as i seem to be the only Quebec Anglo left who has a problem with Quebecs excessive language laws.Any other Quebec Anglos on this board either arent troubled with Quebec language laws or they have been so totally assimilated that they now consider themselves francophones.
You talk like you are one of the last Jews holding out in a neighbours attic in Nazi Germany. No one wants to get rid of anglo Quebecers. They are a great asset to our society. What we don't want is for their 10% to dominate the other 90% and reduce us to a second class of citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2015, 02:06 AM
 
34,624 posts, read 41,802,661 times
Reputation: 30072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You talk like you are one of the last Jews holding out in a neighbours attic in Nazi Germany. No one wants to get rid of anglo Quebecers. They are a great asset to our society. What we don't want is for their 10% to dominate the other 90% and reduce us to a second class of citizens.

You seriously think that dropping Quebecs language laws and its language police is going to result in francophones being dominated by an 8% Anglo demographic?
This being your defacto way of thinking I can understand your lack of confidence in the strength and stability of your evidently feeble culture, a veritable legislated culture that without strict rules and regulations you are reduced to second class citizens?, a telling presumption.
I feel for ya PB as you are going to live your entire life with this constant cultural paranoia that those dastardly Anglos may all of a sudden return and eliminate the poor hapless francophones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2015, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Patrolling The Wasteland
397 posts, read 310,614 times
Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You seriously think that dropping Quebecs language laws and its language police is going to result in francophones being dominated by an 8% Anglo demographic?
This being your defacto way of thinking I can understand your lack of confidence in the strength and stability of your evidently feeble culture, a veritable legislated culture that without strict rules and regulations you are reduced to second class citizens?, a telling presumption.
I feel for ya PB as you are going to live your entire life with this constant cultural paranoia that those dastardly Anglos may all of a sudden return and eliminate the poor hapless francophones.
Ever heard of tyranny of the minority? An 8% demographic would benefit from a federal apparatus that is decidedly Anglo in sympathy and outlook. Hardly an outrageous fear.

As I said in another thread, I am not Québécois but I am proudly francophone, and I would hate to see Québec's separatist movement succeed. That said, your remarks are exactly the kinds of reasons why this mess refuses to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2015, 01:54 AM
 
34,624 posts, read 41,802,661 times
Reputation: 30072
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Ever heard of tyranny of the minority? An 8% demographic would benefit from a federal apparatus that is decidedly Anglo in sympathy and outlook. Hardly an outrageous fear.

As I said in another thread, I am not Québécois but I am proudly francophone, and I would hate to see Québec's separatist movement succeed. That said, your remarks are exactly the kinds of reasons why this mess refuses to die.
I've been living in Montreal as a bilingual Anglophone for 40 years and for the whole time i've been subjected to Quebecs obsessive language laws ,I'm not happy with having to abide by laws that basically tell me what language i legally have to live my life by,
I'm sure living in the USA your linguistic medium is English but if you want you have the freedom to post French signs,name your company a French name,speak French in your company,send your kids to French school if one is available and you so choose,not so for Anglophones in Quebec where everything must be French,its the law, perhaps if you were living in a place where linguistic freedoms were curtailed you might have an idea where i;m coming from,
As for this mess refusing to die? Not going to happen as long as the Anglo culture still remains in Quebec and is averse to its culture being systematically eradicated,
Whats your experience with Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2015, 09:28 PM
 
245 posts, read 288,573 times
Reputation: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You talk like you are one of the last Jews holding out in a neighbours attic in Nazi Germany. No one wants to get rid of anglo Quebecers. They are a great asset to our society. What we don't want is for their 10% to dominate the other 90% and reduce us to a second class of citizens.
How is the minority dominating the majority in Quebec?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,132 posts, read 27,569,413 times
Reputation: 8678
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
How is the minority dominating the majority in Quebec?
They basically don't - today. But it can be said that they used to. Even though some on here might disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2015, 08:51 AM
 
34,624 posts, read 41,802,661 times
Reputation: 30072
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
How is the minority dominating the majority in Quebec?
Francophones have a cultural paranoia/fear when it comes to Anglos that evidently goes back centuries.,
Those dastardly Anglos are not to be trusted as you never know when that 8% Anglo demographic in Quebec could rise up and reduce the hapless francophone demographic to bowing down in humble subservience to their masters and overlords the english, Ever more linguistic rules and regulations need to be implemented to keep that Anglo demographic at bay lest they turn all francophones into Anglophones..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2015, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,645 posts, read 11,163,259 times
Reputation: 10384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Francophones have a cultural paranoia/fear when it comes to Anglos that evidently goes back centuries.,
Those dastardly Anglos are not to be trusted as you never know when that 8% Anglo demographic in Quebec could rise up and reduce the hapless francophone demographic to bowing down in humble subservience to their masters and overlords the english, Ever more linguistic rules and regulations need to be implemented to keep that Anglo demographic at bay lest they turn all francophones into Anglophones..
Come to the English side. We have cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,132 posts, read 27,569,413 times
Reputation: 8678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Come to the English side. We have cookies.
Sure but we have better pastries! And pastries are better than cookies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,971 posts, read 7,348,079 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Francophones have a cultural paranoia/fear when it comes to Anglos that evidently goes back centuries.,
Those dastardly Anglos are not to be trusted as you never know when that 8% Anglo demographic in Quebec could rise up and reduce the hapless francophone demographic to bowing down in humble subservience to their masters and overlords the english, Ever more linguistic rules and regulations need to be implemented to keep that Anglo demographic at bay lest they turn all francophones into Anglophones..
I get what you're saying, but, pre 1950's, it was this way for the Francophones in QC, even though back then, the English population may have been more like 15% as opposed to 8% like it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top