U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 07:32 AM

18,560 posts, read 10,578,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are so many posts on here I can't possibly counter every single one I don't agree with. Some of them also speak for themselves in terms of ridiculousness.

So I would disagree that I play favourites. I just countered a post by PBeauchamp or QuebecOpec (can't recall which), for example.
Noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 01:53 PM

7,613 posts, read 6,792,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

In Canada we tried to not buy but simply annex the Turks & Caicos islands. And we walked away once realizing that the people didn't want to be a part of Canada. Not much different.
Not true. Canada has not ever tried to annex Turks and Caicos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...as_territories

Old 08-26-2019, 11:10 AM

37 posts, read 9,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I think the whole Greenland purchase is blown way out of proportion.

The U.S. purchased much of the middle of the country as well as Alaska. I don't see why they are the bad guys for proposing to buy land and then walking away when the answer is "no".

In Canada we tried to not buy but simply annex the Turks & Caicos islands. And we walked away once realizing that the people didn't want to be a part of Canada. Not much different.

Whether it's the U.S. or Canada we both have walked away if the answer was "no".

It's one of the reasons I have a hard time taking the Canadian government too seriously.

We do the same things that the U.S. does, but when they do it they are the bad guys.

Look at the attempts to curb illegal immigration in the U.S. When they talk about adopting the same measures that we do against illegal immigration, then they are the bad guys. How does that make sense?

Why don't we consider that the U.S. is taking a note from Canada's book?
Canada bought off British Columbia too. Canada paid for them to have a railway and a few other bribes. They (B.C. populace) was swaying to join America before that. A fun fact I learned during my recent travel experience.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 PM

16,478 posts, read 6,503,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Canada bought off British Columbia too. Canada paid for them to have a railway and a few other bribes. They (B.C. populace) was swaying to join America before that. A fun fact I learned during my recent travel experience.
Britain and the U.S. jointly administered the disputed "Oregon Country" comprising, roughly the southern half of modern BC and the continental divide from the modern Montana-Wyoming and Idaho-Utah border north. Thus it included parts of modern Montana and British Columbia, and all of modern Idaho, Oregon and Washington. Polk's campaign slogan was "54'40" or fight" in the 1844 election. This was to defuse criticism that Polk was merely trying to expand slave territory by admitting the Republic of Texas, then including New Mexico east of the Rio Grande, a chunk of Colorado east of the Rio Grande, part of Oklahoma and I think Kansas.

Polk wound up splitting Oregon Country by continuing the 49th Parallel to Puget Sound and across to the Pacific. Thus Point Roberts, Washington is totally cut off from the U.S. by Canada. See The Odd Existence of Point Roberts, Washington.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:42 PM

37 posts, read 9,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Britain and the U.S. jointly administered the disputed "Oregon Country" comprising, roughly the southern half of modern BC and the continental divide from the modern Montana-Wyoming and Idaho-Utah border north. Thus it included parts of modern Montana and British Columbia, and all of modern Idaho, Oregon and Washington. Polk's campaign slogan was "54'40" or fight" in the 1844 election. This was to defuse criticism that Polk was merely trying to expand slave territory by admitting the Republic of Texas, then including New Mexico east of the Rio Grande, a chunk of Colorado east of the Rio Grande, part of Oklahoma and I think Kansas.

Polk wound up splitting Oregon Country by continuing the 49th Parallel to Puget Sound and across to the Pacific. Thus Point Roberts, Washington is totally cut off from the U.S. by Canada. See The Odd Existence of Point Roberts, Washington.
That's really interesting!

Old 09-09-2019, 06:21 AM

18,560 posts, read 10,578,859 times
Further to that last one is the "pig war":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

Here's yet another border oddity:

https://www.minnpost.com/mnopedia/20...rthern-border/

And some associated humour:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4810619/p....google.com%2F

Old 09-09-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Further to that last one is the "pig war":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

Here's yet another border oddity:

https://www.minnpost.com/mnopedia/20...rthern-border/

And some associated humour:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4810619/p....google.com%2F
I am going to read all of those links. I was well aware of "Angle Country" but that is not a 49th parallel issue; it is more of a cartographic or riparian miscalculation. That error infected the choice of the 49th parallel since that was, if I understand correctly, was based on the source of the Mississippi River, which was far south of 49. The article actually does not reflect that and I am sure that the true answer is lost to the fog of history.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:05 AM

22,294 posts, read 27,761,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am going to read all of those links. I was well aware of "Angle Country" but that is not a 49th parallel issue; it is more of a cartographic or riparian miscalculation. That error infected the choice of the 49th parallel since that was, if I understand correctly, was based on the source of the Mississippi River, which was far south of 49. The article actually does not reflect that and I am sure that the true answer is lost to the fog of history.
That's interesting. I remember from my high school geography books that a tiny strip of the southern Canadian Prairies was actually in the Mississippi's draining basin/watershed.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's interesting. I remember from my high school geography books that a tiny strip of the southern Canadian Prairies was actually in the Mississippi's draining basin/watershed.
That is possible. But remember Angle Country is adjacent to Lake of the Woods, which is north of the Arctic Divide. I.e. it drains towards Lake Winnipeg and ultimately Hudson's Bay.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:00 AM

22,294 posts, read 27,761,595 times
The Milk River watershed in S Alberta and S Saskatchewan is part of the Missouri-Mississippi river system and drains to the Gulf of Mexico. It's the only such watershed in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or