U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2019, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,824 posts, read 27,089,268 times
Reputation: 27002

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That link doesn't play here in New York.
It's a border issue both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2019, 06:30 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,630 posts, read 6,802,516 times
Reputation: 15122
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post


It's a border issue both ways.

I think that means Canada is a real country then.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,824 posts, read 27,089,268 times
Reputation: 27002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think that means Canada is a real country then.
.
Hahahaha! INDEED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 AM
 
Location: New York Area
16,514 posts, read 6,517,218 times
Reputation: 12710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think that means Canada is a real country then.
.
Hahahaha! INDEED!
As "regulars" would know I think it is a real country.

Written by me (elsewhere) on April 7, 2007:

I am staying in Niagara Falls, and just finished an intelligent, though slightly liquor-stoked conversation with an Ontarian. He asked why Americans in general and Bush in particular doesn't show Canada and Canadians more respect.

I think these are entirely the wrong questions. I pointed out that I met a Peterborough, ON school teacher who did not know what happened at the Plains of Abraham and didn't know who Montcalm and Wolfe were. I also asked why, if Canadians are not proud of Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach (Normandy), why should Americans show more respect for Canada than it does for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,332 posts, read 27,783,557 times
Reputation: 8732
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As "regulars" would know I think it is a real country.

Written by me (elsewhere) on April 7, 2007:

I am staying in Niagara Falls, and just finished an intelligent, though slightly liquor-stoked conversation with an Ontarian. He asked why Americans in general and Bush in particular doesn't show Canada and Canadians more respect.

I think these are entirely the wrong questions. I pointed out that I met a Peterborough, ON school teacher who did not know what happened at the Plains of Abraham and didn't know who Montcalm and Wolfe were. I also asked why, if Canadians are not proud of Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach (Normandy), why should Americans show more respect for Canada than it does for itself.
I think we may have met the same teacher! I met a high school Canadian history teacher from the same neck of the woods who had never heard of the expulsion of the Acadians that began in 1755. Not just slim on the details. He had no clue this had ever happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 12:12 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,630 posts, read 6,802,516 times
Reputation: 15122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post


........ He asked why Americans in general and Bush in particular doesn't show Canada and Canadians more respect. ...... I think these are entirely the wrong questions. ......... I also asked why, if Canadians are not proud of Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach (Normandy), why should Americans show more respect for Canada than it does for itself.
I agree they were the wrong questions to ask and I don't think he was a bright person. I don't have much good regard for Canadians who are so insecure about themselves or so bloody minded or so lacking in knowledge about America's history of war that they would desire for America to be impressed by Canada or to wonder about why America in general doesn't show respect for Canada.

If they knew the history well enough they'd know that America doesn't generally show respect for anybody else, it never has from its inception onwards, and is very overtly proud about being the biggest baddest warring nation in the world and proud about its accomplishments in wars, (as you have just so aptly demonstrated above). Which Canada is not and probably never will be since most Canadians think warring and conquest and killing may sometimes be necessary but they are never, ever things to be proud of and boasted about and used as threats. So why would any sensible, knowledgeable Canadian expect Canada to get more respect or deference from the way America regards the rest of the world? It's just another whoosie country like all the rest who prefer peace and prefer to not engage in war and conflict.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 PM
 
Location: New York Area
16,514 posts, read 6,517,218 times
Reputation: 12710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree they were the wrong questions to ask and I don't think he was a bright person. I don't have much good regard for Canadians who are so insecure about themselves or so bloody minded or so lacking in knowledge about America's history of war that they would desire for America to be impressed by Canada or to wonder about why America in general doesn't show respect for Canada.
During the same conversation I mentioned above, at the hotel bar after the Leafs lost, and for the umpteenth time eliminated from Stanley Cup contention. He stated that he was sure he knew more US history than I did (similar to the views of this poster), and certainly more US history than I knew about Canadian history. He asked me to test him. I asked him which two elections were decided by the House of Representatives and not the usual way, by the Electoral College. He answered, wasn't it the "Taft" election.

I responded that the Taft election, in 1912, was one of the few where a major party, the Republicans, got less votes than a third party, in tihs case Ted Roosevelt's "Bull Moose Progressives". I said "sort of like your 1993 and 1997 elections where the Bloc and the Reform got more than the Progressive Conservatives.

He said "I rest my case", and said he was astounded an American could quote Canadian elections from memory.

Now I will admit some deficiencies. I only know Canadian Prime Ministers in order from Wilfred Laurier forward, though I do know that John Macdonald was Canada's first Prime Minister. Except for recent elections (since Diefenbaker in 1958) I don't know who the losing party leaders were. I will admit not knowing when the CCF became the NDP or the Conservative Party merged with the Progressive Party to become the late and unlamented Progressive Conservative Party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If they knew the history well enough they'd know that America doesn't generally show respect for anybody else, it never has from its inception onwards, and is very overtly proud about being the biggest baddest warring nation in the world and proud about its accomplishments in wars, (as you have just so aptly demonstrated above). Which Canada is not and probably never will be since most Canadians think warring and conquest and killing may sometimes be necessary but they are never, ever things to be proud of and boasted about and used as threats. So why would any sensible, knowledgeable Canadian expect Canada to get more respect or deference from the way America regards the rest of the world? It's just another whoosie country like all the rest who prefer peace and prefer to not engage in war and conflict.
.
You have to remember that America, alone among the great nations of the world, was birthed from a war against Britain. No question, we punch far above our weight. I expect that most European countries that spent a millennium in internecine warfare capped off by two world wars were also quite proud of their martial abilities. They are pacifist now that they self-destructed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 AM
 
34,882 posts, read 42,090,251 times
Reputation: 30272
So if "Canada is not a real country" where does that leave Quebec? not even a real province?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Montreal
475 posts, read 294,006 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So if "Canada is not a real country" where does that leave Quebec? not even a real province?
A nation, of course.

"That this House recognize that the Québécois form a nation within a united Canada."

- Stephen Harper, November 22, 2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,630 posts, read 6,802,516 times
Reputation: 15122
That isn't all he said. There were subtle caveats that were agreed upon by the Quebecois: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/house...ation-1.574359

A nation within a nation. I guess that is not good enough for some though.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top