U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 PM

34,875 posts, read 42,090,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
A nation, of course.

"That this House recognize that the Québécois form a nation within a united Canada."

- Stephen Harper, November 22, 2006
IMO Quebec is nothing more than a province of Canada whose main language is French, You wanna be a nation? you know what you have to do eh.
So if you want to split hairs over the meanng of nation=
Quote:
Nation
noun
a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.
Canada also falls within such a description and Quebec is just a small part of that Canadian nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM

475 posts, read 294,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
IMO Quebec is nothing more than a province of Canada whose main language is French, You wanna be a nation? you know what you have to do eh.
Before jumping to declaring independence, there are other options always on the table.

The Canadian government is fairly reasonable when it comes to working together.

This is a positive that we can use this to our advantage.

We'll continue to pass laws that protect the interests of Quebec first and foremost.

We will place emphasis on establishing Quebec's autonomy within Canada, and garner more power to protect and spread the French language not only in Quebec, but through the ROC as well.

Independence from Canada is always on the table, and an attractive option that will likely one day come to fruition.

But there is no reason to prematurely forgo the readily offered advantages that come with Canada.

Quote:

So if you want to split hairs over the meanng of nation=
Canada also falls within such a description and Quebec is just a small part of that Canadian nation.
That's fair enough, jambo101.

If you want to consider the nation of Quebec a part of a larger "Canadian" nation, that is fine, but you must also admit Quebec is the most important and defining province of the "Canadian nation", with the possible exception of Ontario.

Also, Quebec is easily the most influential of the provinces, and a special case as the "province" is actually a nation.

The problem is that the notion of a "Canadian nation" is almost entirely created by the Canadian federal government, the modern incarnation and successor of British North America.

The Quebecois nation is a naturally occurring one.

We don't need a federal government, or a queen's orders, or even a political reason to exist.

We just do.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

34,875 posts, read 42,090,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

The Quebecois nation is a naturally occurring one.

We don't need a federal government, or a queen's orders, or even a political reason to exist.

We just do.
If i were in charge this issue would have been resolved long ago,you would have your nation status and be a country of your own.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

10,010 posts, read 21,308,255 times
The saying I hear from Quebec is "it's not about you, it's about us". It's about fear of francophone culture being overwhelmed when surrounded by 330 million anglophones

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

12,922 posts, read 8,977,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That isn't all he said. There were subtle caveats that were agreed upon by the Quebecois: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/house...ation-1.574359

A nation within a nation. I guess that is not good enough for some though.
Yup, and we have many nations within our nation, hence First Nations.

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

22,329 posts, read 27,783,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yup, and we have many nations within our nation, hence First Nations.
Yes, while the words "country" and "nation" get conflated a lot as though they were perfect synonyms, Canada would be best described as a multi-national state.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

7,629 posts, read 6,802,516 times
I prefer what it is and what we already call it - it is a multicultural nation.

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

22,329 posts, read 27,783,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I prefer what it is and what we already call it - it is a multicultural nation.
Who is "we"?

Read some of this and tell me if present-day Canada qualifies as a single nation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation

(The only way it does, is as I said, via the popular misnomer of "nation = country".)

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

7,629 posts, read 6,802,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Who is "we"?

Read some of this and tell me if present-day Canada qualifies as a single nation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation

(The only way it does, is as I said, via the popular misnomer of "nation = country".)

Point taken, you are right according to that wiki definition. Going by that, Canada taken as a whole does not qualify as a single nation since it has too much diversity of people, politics, religions, ethnicities, languages and cultures. It is too much of everything else on planet Earth for there to be a correct definition of what Canada is. It is like a separate little planet on its own populated by many nations. A mini-Earth, a new world called Canada. Perhaps we will have to invent a new word to describe Canada's state of being. Under the circumstances I think Canada is doing pretty good then and everyone is making efforts to try to all get along well with each other, (except for the self-centered malcontented dissidents who want to call all the shots and rule our little world, of course).

Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM

475 posts, read 294,006 times
Quote:
If i were in charge this issue would have been resolved long ago,you would have your nation status and be a country of your own.
That sounds like a marvelous plan.

Will you continue living in the independent Republic of Quebec, or will you move to Canada upon independence?

Actually, I'm thinking we should be called the Republic of Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or