Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 01:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I see Canadian cites brought up often enough on the US forums. Urban Planning often mentions Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.
There was even a thread started by an American about an article in a Atlanta newspaper comparing Vancouver with Atlanta.

There not as common of course due to the sheer number of threads devoted to the US.
There is some validity to this for sure but I do think those Americans who are most fascinated by Canada come into the Canada forums.. Most of them are decent posters with honourable intentions but we do get a fair share of genuine American trolls or poser American trolls - trolls nonetheless in here stoking fires..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 01:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There is some validity to this for sure but I do think those Americans who are most fascinated by Canada come into the Canada forums.. Most of them are decent posters with honourable intentions but we do get a fair share of genuine American trolls or poser American trolls - trolls nonetheless in here stoking fires..
No argument there. Trolls are trolls and you never know really where they are from. Some even say they are from The Netherlands !! LOL

The genuine posters who I've responded to in US forums in regards to Canada are great.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:42 PM

170 posts, read 182,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No argument there. Trolls are trolls and you never know really where they are from. Some even say they are from The Netherlands !! LOL

The genuine posters who I've responded to in US forums in regards to Canada are great.
I wouldn't recommend using an internet forum that seems to be frequent by a small number of regulars to gauge Canadian-American relations. The average person in either country doesn't use internet forums, let alone take the time to engage in debates on them. It's the same handful of people.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Come on guys these Quebec separation subjects is one of your "non-American" topics and you all still end up talking about America here

Old 06-24-2015, 01:00 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Come on guys these Quebec separation subjects is one of your "non-American" topics and you all still end up talking about America here
Hey man I agree and if you look back a bit

Exhibit A:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/40133633-post82.html

It was one person who triggered that and it wasn't even justifiable.. All it takes is the trigger and there's a lot of people in here who excel at being controversial 'triggers'

If we just talk about Canadiana or show some pride in it we aren't being 'worldly' enough to some but if we talk about other countries including the U.S we have an inferiority complex and not 'Canadian' enough lol - its really a 'no win' situation. These forums and some of those in them need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-24-2015 at 01:11 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That is NOT true AJ - if you look at the thread in question it was an outsider making unnecessary comparisons to other places that precipitated just ONE post about the U.S.. It wasn't a necessary post and uncalled for but the person who stoked the fires there was an outsider from the U.S and they fired the first shot as is often the case..

I think you should read that thread more carefully AJ and look for context.... It certainly isn't half the posts being about the U.S and really someone from the U.S came in and started bringing out the measuring sticks(as this person often does) - NOT a Torontonian.. Let's not be disingenuous - I know you are more honourable a poster than that!
Not the best example then but it's definitely common.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I get the sense that you and other anglo Canadians want to be American and have what the Americans have.

*cue vehement denial*.

Sorry, but that's how it all comes across. Why not just accept Canada for what it is? Why can't we just be an oddball country that doesn't make a whole lot of sense? There is nothing wrong with that. It's a country of half-American half-Brits, aligning themselves with the original French colonists, living in a cold climate, and governed by a British style government with a European as our head of state. Why do we have to try to be America JR? We aren't that and it just looks ridiculous when we try to do this. IMHO anglo Canadians are too "butthurt" over the fact that Quebecois aren't fervent Canadian nationalists, but why not try seeing it from the other side, that Canada can just be Canada instead of being mired in a sociopathic love-hate anti-American complex and endless anglo vs. franco jousting. I wish we could just say, yes we are Canadian, we don't make sense, we don't have a national culture, but what we do have is a well run country united by consent and common interests and we are happy with that. If anglo Canadians accepted Canada as a political union instead of aspiring to be America JR, regardless of how much it is denied, then Quebec separatism would quickly retreat. But as long as anglo Canadians are fixated on building a subpar America imitation then Quebec separatism will always thrive, just as it does now.
This being a perfect example!

Where the heck does a discussion about some rich silver spoon boob from Quebec making reference to Canada "not being a real country" and the resultant opposite viewpoint, indicate the above premise?

And get a load of the wiseazz "cue" addendum.

Here's how we do this: I make a thoroughly unsupported suggestion and attempt to stifle rebuttal by suggesting when that happens it's nothing more than the strident bleating of sycophantic American whannabes. Cripes!

Akin to three year olds in a sandbox. I think you're "this" and if you dare argue the point, that will prove you're "this". In what forum of civil discussion was that little trick deemed as acceptable debate?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:19 AM

542 posts, read 502,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This being a perfect example!

Where the heck does a discussion about some rich silver spoon boob from Quebec making reference to Canada "not being a real country" and the resultant opposite viewpoint, indicate the above premise?

And get a load of the wiseazz "cue" addendum.

Here's how we do this: I make a thoroughly unsupported suggestion and attempt to stifle rebuttal by suggesting when that happens it's nothing more than the strident bleating of sycophantic American whannabes. Cripes!

Akin to three year olds in a sandbox. I think you're "this" and if you dare argue the point, that will prove you're "this". In what forum of civil discussion was that little trick deemed as acceptable debate?
The fact that this is a thread about QUEBEC and comments made by a QUEBEC politician yet you guys end up obsessing over the US again has everything to do with it. Why are we talking about Americans in this thread? This is the perfect example of the anglo Canadian obsession with America/inferiority complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yep, for some reason the discussion always devolves into an us vs. them display of a deeply ingrained inferiority complex even when the topic has nothing to with Americans whatsoever. It must be flattering, Invincible, to know that you have so many jealous admirers on this side of the border.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:40 AM

105 posts, read 98,045 times
What I can add is that the subject of Quebec independence or Quebec in general appears to really bother the non-Quebec Canadians. Why does the fact that there is a huge chunk of the country that is doing their own thing so bothersome? It is like they are taking it personally, as if they are being dumped by their girlfriend. I think that if you truly like and respect the Quebecois then you should be happy that they have what they have. Maybe independence is best for Quebec, maybe not, but I am happy that Quebec is so independent either way!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
The fact that this is a thread about QUEBEC and comments made by a QUEBEC politician yet you guys end up obsessing over the US again has everything to do with it. Why are we talking about Americans in this thread? This is the perfect example of the anglo Canadian obsession with America/inferiority complex.

Yep, for some reason the discussion always devolves into an us vs. them display of a deeply ingrained inferiority complex even when the topic has nothing to with Americans whatsoever. It must be flattering, Invincible, to know that you have so many jealous admirers on this side of the border.
Who are "you guys" exactly.......... other Americans? Anglo Canadians? A bit prejudicial that one as there are bound to be more Anglos on a forum given the demographics of Canada. Once we settle that one, let's move on to "obsessing" and it's definition.

After proving the validity of those descriptors then we might be able to determine it has some influence on only a few posters who show up on here but......... Anglo Canadians?

Give me a freak'n break here. Quebec citizens, if one is to use your logic, have an even greater obsession with America given their proximity and numbers travelling there.

Ever hear of this phenomena: Articles | Encyclopédie du patrimoine culturel de l'Amérique française

Or this one possibly showing more than just an obsession, but also a perverse desire to change it:Bienvenue au Petit Qubec en Floride

or even heaven forbid, this anomaly:

How to tell if you're from Quebec

I suppose one could make the case that thousands of Quebecois choosing to winter there would equate to a few Anglo posters on a forum making reference to America, could one not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada