Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 03:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
You have to look at the context of this situation to understand why Myles feels this way.

The borough of Greenfield park that he represents had been independent from the
Longueuil agglomeration for its entire existence until 2001.

I know many people from Greenfield park. The culture there is distinct from Longueuil and has a historical anglophone population. Although much smaller then Longueuil, Anglophones represent 35-40% of Greenfield parks population.

I see no problem with there being at most one bilingual councilor in Longueuil.

With that said, I place as much blame on Robert Myles for over sensationalizing the entire thing.
Mr Myles wants to exercise his rights as one of the 2 solitudes of Quebec to speak English, of course this is met with the usual anti Anglo attitudes of loathing,scorn and disrespect and a firm committal from the mayor that this is Quebec where its going to be French only in her jurisdiction, she wont be bullied otherwise by these dastardly Angryphones.
Classic example of how the eradication of English eradication is engineered, death by a thousand cuts.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-25-2015 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 04:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
I am not super familiar with the south shore, is there or were there any other Anglo enclaves on the south shore besides Greenfield park and St.Lambert areas?

Old 06-25-2015, 05:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Did you mean cruise ship passengers? As you know every international flight's passengers must go through Canada Customs at YVR.

Cruise ship passengers then go through US Customs at the pier before boarding cruises to Alaska.

Everyone coming back go through Canada Customs at the pier.

At YVR passengers going to the US go through US customs at YVR. Same as Pearson.

What you might be referring to, was what I believe was a pilot program, that allowed cruise ship passengers disembarking in Vancouver to go through US customs at the pier and then somehow securely be dropped off pass the US customs at YVR.

I only heard on this in passing and can't find anything on it. It sounds awkward since it only benefits cruise ship passengers who are not staying in Canada immediately after disembarking. Perhaps it just wasn't worth it and a duplication of customs.

I don't have numbers, but cruise ship passengers from the US used to almost bypass staying in Vancouver, but not anymore. Most stay a few days pre and post cruise.

Here's the latest from YVR and Customs etc for cruise ship passengers. It doesn't mention the pilot program.

YVR > Navigating YVR > Cruise Ship Passengers

I started noticing an influx of tourists in my area from all over in April. The weather has been exceptional and is forecasted to be so all summer. We are getting highs of 30 plus inland this weekend, and a high of 41C in places like Lytton, but 36C in places a bit closer to Vancouver, like Chilliwack.
The lakes, and ocean beaches are busy and the place is a hopping.
I had a training session with a guy who lives in Vancouver and he had mentioned something about Cruise ship pax being cleared through Canada Customs at YVR airport (He didn't mention US CBP).. Maybe he was just confused as this was the first time I've heard of non-aeronautical pax clearing Canada Customs at an airport.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I had a training session with a guy who lives in Vancouver and he had mentioned something about Cruise ship pax being cleared through Canada Customs at YVR airport (He didn't mention US CBP).. Maybe he was just confused as this was the first time I've heard of non-aeronautical pax clearing Canada Customs at an airport.
There is no dock for cruise ships at the airport, even though the airport is right on the water. Customs at YVR are for air passengers only. Some of those air passengers are going on cruises. They go through Canada Customs like everyone else. Then then either stay in Vancouver and area before their cruise or go directly from the airport to the cruise terminal. If the ship is entering US waters, like Alaska, they go through US customs at the dock.
When that ship returns, passengers must go through Canada Customs at the dock.
If they are returning to the US at YVR they go through US customs there.

He may have been referring to the pilot program which no longer exists. I don't know how it worked, but obviously they must have been secured on a bus directly from YVR to the ship with no chance of anyone else getting on board the bus before it reached the dock. Perhaps that's why the program no longer exists. Too much hassle for really no reason.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:31 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Canada is a great country with two official languages.

Why would anyone want to disrupt that?

Are the Quebecois young protesting/complaining yet again?
What do they want now?

Do Quebec youth want Quebec to be another state in the US, or do they want to be their own country?

As it's own country, Quebec will forfeit the economic advantage of being associated with Alberta (not a good move). As another state in the US, it might look like Detroit, eh.

What is the upside of Quebec being an independent country? The steel industry is not enough to support the population, apparently?

Quebec should make a decision and shut up. This "I'm going to leave, or not" is harassment. Do it, or be quiet. The debate is old, done, and clearly the best option is to stay with Canada and continue to enjoy the equalization payments provided by Alberta.

When the steel industry in Quebec is self-sustaining, by all means that province should join the US or separate as a country if that's what the bilingual community wants. Until then, separating from Canada is a death move resulting in poverty, no equalization payments, and tragedy like Detroit.

Last edited by Lieneke; 06-26-2015 at 12:05 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 01:27 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

What do they want now?

Do Quebec youth want Quebec to be another state in the US, or do they want to be their own country?

As it's own country, Quebec will forfeit the economic advantage of being associated with Alberta (not a good move). As another state in the US, it might look like Detroit, eh.

What is the upside of Quebec being an independent country? The steel industry is not enough to support the population, apparently?

Quebec should make a decision and shut up. This "I'm going to leave, or not" is harassment. Do it, or be quiet. The debate is old, done, and clearly the best option is to stay with Canada and continue to enjoy the equalization payments provided by Alberta.

When the steel industry in Quebec is self-sustaining, by all means that province should join the US or separate as a country if that's what the bilingual community wants. Until then, separating from Canada is a death move resulting in poverty, no equalization payments, and tragedy like Detroit.
Congratulations. You've won " The Oddest Post of the Week "

Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Congratulations. You've won " The Oddest Post of the Week "
And I just learned that I should probably invest in Acier Québec Limitée (Quebec Steel Limited)!!!!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:40 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
There is no dock for cruise ships at the airport, even though the airport is right on the water. Customs at YVR are for air passengers only. Some of those air passengers are going on cruises. They go through Canada Customs like everyone else. Then then either stay in Vancouver and area before their cruise or go directly from the airport to the cruise terminal. If the ship is entering US waters, like Alaska, they go through US customs at the dock.
When that ship returns, passengers must go through Canada Customs at the dock.
If they are returning to the US at YVR they go through US customs there.

He may have been referring to the pilot program which no longer exists. I don't know how it worked, but obviously they must have been secured on a bus directly from YVR to the ship with no chance of anyone else getting on board the bus before it reached the dock. Perhaps that's why the program no longer exists. Too much hassle for really no reason.
Yeah it just struck me as a bit odd.

Quote:

Tad wee bit of a complex there about Alberta eh....

Last edited by fusion2; 06-26-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 AM

542 posts, read 503,204 times
Quote:

What do they want now?

Overall I don't see what is advantageous about being a part of Canada rather than a part of the US, considering the US is richer and significantly more advanced than anglo Canada, but in the end it doesn't matter. Here's a good question: why do so many anglo Canadians talk about provinces joining the US? As far as I know the US has never had any policy of foreign provinces just joining their country because they want to. I seriously doubt the Americans would readily accept any Canadian province into their country, if they would accept any at all. Something to take away from this is that in Quebec we don't carry the illogical anti-American fears that lockjaw anglo Canadians, so I think your logic of scaring us into staying in Canada lest we become an American state (Oh, the horror!) is flawed from the start.

You are right that our best move is to stay part of Canada and continue accepting the generous benefits offered by other provinces. The best part is that Quebec is more powerful as Canada than as an independent country. As one of two officially recognized cultures and languages our stretch is a lot more than that of say, British Columbia. As part of Canada we can use our disproportionate power to steer Canada towards what is best for Quebec, and obviously controlling 33 million people for our interests is preferable to controlling our own 9 million. We don't have to be big Canadian patriots to recognize this.

The best move for us is to use Canada since it has generously made itself available for our interests. Independence is a move for the future, for when Canada has run out of what we need. I estimate that we have a good 3-4 decades before Canada no longer serves us as well as an independence.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
With that said, I place as much blame on Robert Myles for over sensationalizing the entire thing.

You are right ,the unmitigated gall of the man being so presumptuous as to think he can speak in English at a city council meeting in Quebec. his mere act of doing so is by default over sensationalizing the entire thing, obviously a disgruntled Angryphone,We'll fix him we'll change Bill101 to ban English in such future similar circumstances..Speaking English?the very idea,off with his head.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-26-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada