U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM
 
Location: NY suburbs
175 posts, read 357,526 times
Reputation: 127

Advertisements

Hi all,

Please help me in finding a potential place to live in Canada. I've been considering moving from New York state to Canada, specifically the Eastern portion of Canada - the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island. I currently live a few tens of miles above New York City. I've been living in the same place for many years. I'm an electrical engineer who would be looking for electrical engineering/software engineering jobs, and I'm looking for the following (in order of highest to lowest priority):

- Low crime rate, Safe place, Quiet area
- A small town, suburban or rural, but not a city (I'm looking for something with a population under 50,000)
- Moderate to High South Asian population (above 4 percent)
- Not political, but if so, then left (liberal) leaning
- All 4 seasons (warm to hot summer)
- Friendly community
- Decent public library nearby
- Intellectual community (if possible)

Anyone have any suggestions to anything that may fit my preferences? Are there any places in upstate New York or New England that I should look in instead?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2015, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Seattle-WA-USA
678 posts, read 664,108 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
Hi all,

Please help me in finding a potential place to live in Canada. I've been considering moving from New York state to Canada, specifically the Eastern portion of Canada - the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island. I currently live a few tens of miles above New York City. I've been living in the same place for many years. I'm an electrical engineer who would be looking for electrical engineering/software engineering jobs, and I'm looking for the following (in order of highest to lowest priority):

- Low crime rate, Safe place, Quiet area
- A small town, suburban or rural, but not a city (I'm looking for something with a population under 50,000)
- Moderate to High South Asian population (above 4 percent)
- Not political, but if so, then left (liberal) leaning
- All 4 seasons (warm to hot summer)
- Friendly community
- Decent public library nearby
- Intellectual community (if possible)

Anyone have any suggestions to anything that may fit my preferences? Are there any places in upstate New York or New England that I should look in instead?

Thanks in advance.
Hamilton, Ontario
Kitchener, Ontario
Waterloo, Ontario
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2015, 10:09 PM
 
34,396 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Reputation: 29872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
Hi all,

Please help me in finding a potential place to live in Canada. I've been considering moving from New York state to Canada, specifically the Eastern portion of Canada - the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island. I currently live a few tens of miles above New York City. I've been living in the same place for many years. I'm an electrical engineer who would be looking for electrical engineering/software engineering jobs, and I'm looking for the following (in order of highest to lowest priority):

- Low crime rate, Safe place, Quiet area
- A small town, suburban or rural, but not a city (I'm looking for something with a population under 50,000)
- Moderate to High South Asian population (above 4 percent)
- Not political, but if so, then left (liberal) leaning
- All 4 seasons (warm to hot summer)
- Friendly community
- Decent public library nearby
- Intellectual community (if possible)

Anyone have any suggestions to anything that may fit my preferences? Are there any places in upstate New York or New England that I should look in instead?

Thanks in advance.
Probably dozens of cities that fit your criteria.heres a couple worth a look.
Start with Fredericton New Brunswick
Home - Fredericton Touris
Then St John New Brunswick
http://discoversaintjohn.com/

While these cities might be a bit bigger than you want its not like you have to live downtown..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 AM
 
Location: NY suburbs
175 posts, read 357,526 times
Reputation: 127
Thank you very much for the suggestions. Anyone else have any input given my preferences? I really appreciate it, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Reputation: 3738
Guelph in Ontario

Its a bit larger than your 50k threshold but it still feels like a small city so far from being overwhelming and you are never far from more rural parts.

It is majority white but does reach your quota of 4 percent South Asian.. Its got a good economy and is only 100km away from DT Toronto so at least you always have the option of a big city not too too far and benefit economically as a result.

Its got a University and College so it definitely has a young vibe and the university of Guelph is a well regarded small uni plus not far from Kitchener/Waterloo so that whole area is definitely College/Uni oriented - the University of Waterloo is particularly well regarded for the sciences and technology. Guelph is a pretty city as well.. I'm a little fond of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelph

https://www.google.ca/search?q=guelp...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAw

Last edited by fusion2; 06-27-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 04:08 PM
 
1 posts, read 735 times
Reputation: 11
Fredericton, New Brunswick would fit your list 100%. Just 15-20 min drive to wherever you want to go. Very educated crowd and a slow paced peaceful city. You can see all 4 seasons. Winter will be like NY and summer would get really hot for few weeks, but bearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2015, 01:37 AM
 
625 posts, read 1,188,559 times
Reputation: 569
Ithaca, NY? Or Burlington, VT? I am not sure they reach your preference of South Asian community, but given these are university towns, I believe they have a fair bit of diversity for towns their size ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwins View Post
Fredericton, New Brunswick would fit your list 100%. Just 15-20 min drive to wherever you want to go. Very educated crowd and a slow paced peaceful city. You can see all 4 seasons. Winter will be like NY and summer would get really hot for few weeks, but bearable.
Winter in Fredericton is not like in NY(C) if that's what you meant. It would like NY (state) in the upper reaches of upstate - think of a place like Plattsburgh or Watertown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 04:15 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,051,616 times
Reputation: 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Probably dozens of cities that fit your criteria.heres a couple worth a look.
Start with Fredericton New Brunswick
Home - Fredericton Touris
Then St John New Brunswick
http://discoversaintjohn.com/

While these cities might be a bit bigger than you want its not like you have to live downtown..
I grew up in Saint John and I met one south Asian girl growing up. Mind you, that was back in the 1980s.

I know of a guy who harassed and threatened while walking through King's Square in downtown Saint John... for carrying a book. He was in his 20s. Not exactly an "intellectual community" either. It's a pretty rough blue collar/welfare town. I grew up in a "rough" neighbourhood, and that wasn't a big deal... because most of the neighbourhoods are rough.

Also, it doesn't skew politically left either.

A better option would be east of Saint John. Quispamsis, Rothesay, Hampton, etc. Quasi-rural. Moncton's population is about 80,000 but the Riverview part of town, or nearby in Shediac, might be doable. Not a huge multicultural community in Moncton either though, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Ottawa2011; 10-06-2015 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,051,616 times
Reputation: 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
Hi all,

Please help me in finding a potential place to live in Canada. I've been considering moving from New York state to Canada, specifically the Eastern portion of Canada - the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island. I currently live a few tens of miles above New York City. I've been living in the same place for many years. I'm an electrical engineer who would be looking for electrical engineering/software engineering jobs, and I'm looking for the following (in order of highest to lowest priority):

- Low crime rate, Safe place, Quiet area
- A small town, suburban or rural, but not a city (I'm looking for something with a population under 50,000)
- Moderate to High South Asian population (above 4 percent)
- Not political, but if so, then left (liberal) leaning
- All 4 seasons (warm to hot summer)
- Friendly community
- Decent public library nearby
- Intellectual community (if possible)

Anyone have any suggestions to anything that may fit my preferences? Are there any places in upstate New York or New England that I should look in instead?

Thanks in advance.
Your job prospects will determine whether or not you can pick a particular small town to live in... what is your field of employment? What are your educational qualifications?

Off the cuff I'd say your best bet would be to look at towns in southern Ontario. Maybe a suburb of Kitchen-Waterloo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top