U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 14,372 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone just joined this exciting forum.I have applied for canada's permanent residency which would take atleast 2 more yrs to finalise.Was wondering is it worth moving to canada from UK in terms of my profession.I qualified last year as a pharmacist in UK.So how does life compare in these two countries.I have lived here nearly for 5 yrs now.Its not like I dont like here but always wondering about canada,its wide open spaces and clean environment.If any members have any input I will deeply appreciate.What are the current and future prospects for pharmacists(retail) in canada and what is the avg pay structure/yr.Here we pay high taxes in UK is it similar in canada or different.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 AM

1,049 posts, read 5,645,259 times
First, the answers to your questions vary by province.

Second, I think you'll get many more responses if you post here:

Canada : British Expat Discussion Forum

Third, I'm sure you'll even find some of the answers to your questions if you browse that forum, as it's a forum of people from the UK who have moved to Canada. They're the experts at knowing how life compares.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 PM

217 posts, read 258,849 times
its very cold in canada, i wouldnt suggest moving here. Just today i was walking and the wind and cold and snow mixed together was simply unbearable. I can't take it here anymore, this place sucks!! i couldnt even make it across the parking lot without almost freezing to death.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 PM

215 posts, read 1,527,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans333 View Post
Hi everyone just joined this exciting forum.I have applied for canada's permanent residency which would take atleast 2 more yrs to finalise.Was wondering is it worth moving to canada from UK in terms of my profession.I qualified last year as a pharmacist in UK.So how does life compare in these two countries.I have lived here nearly for 5 yrs now.Its not like I dont like here but always wondering about canada,its wide open spaces and clean environment.If any members have any input I will deeply appreciate.What are the current and future prospects for pharmacists(retail) in canada and what is the avg pay structure/yr.Here we pay high taxes in UK is it similar in canada or different.

Cheers.
I know about the politics much better. There is a simple way to explain the difference in the political parties in Canada and the UK
you have "2.5" major national parties. The Conservatives (blue), Labour (red), and the Lib-Dems (Yellow). We have 2.5 major national parties. The Conservatives (blue), the Liberals (red), and the NDP (orange). Our Liberals are a much bigger-tent party then your Liberals are, and on the political spectrum would take up half of where Labour sits (think Tony Blair). Also, rather then alternate between Conservative and Labour, our governments alternate between Conservative and Liberal, with the NDP holding up the rear. Second, imagine that rather then 1 Scotland, there are 10, and nothing else. Each of Canada's provinces is different from the next one. Quebec elects a nationalist party on the federal and provincial level, but unlike the SNP it does not just win 6 or so seats, it wins 50. The remainder of the provinces are english and more similar to the federal government. Some provinces alternate in government between the Tories and the NDP, while one does so between the Liberals and NDP. The only other big difference between politics is that being a social conservative (EG traditions) is not seen as highly in Canada as it is in the UK and is in fact somewhat unacceptible in the mainstream.

as for taxes, they are about the same. be aware that in most provinces the sales tax averages 13%.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,645,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
its very cold in canada, i wouldnt suggest moving here. Just today i was walking and the wind and cold and snow mixed together was simply unbearable. I can't take it here anymore, this place sucks!! i couldnt even make it across the parking lot without almost freezing to death.
Sure it's cold in Canada...

... in the winter.

What you've just described, however, isn't Canada, but a very regional example of what happens in Toronto during a cold spell in the middle of winter. Toronto may be in Canada, but Canada isn't Toronto.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 PM

4,285 posts, read 13,969,706 times
Moderator cut: Moderator Note: Several posts have been moved from this thread to preserve the topicality of the thread. Those posts may be found in the thread entitled The Great Debate.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM

207 posts, read 663,632 times
A pharmacist make at least $80K/year minimum in Toronto.
Comparing housing cost between Toronto and London England is like comparing housing cost between Hong Kong to China.

I saw a show on TV where a young doctor paid around 1 Million for a small townhouse in London, the same townhouse should only cost 300K CND$ max.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:59 PM

215 posts, read 1,527,047 times
In downtown you could pay 500K for a townhouse that would run one 1mil or more in London. Then again, if you move far enough outside the city, you could get the same townhouse for 150K

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 11,799 times
Default Life in Canada

Hi there,

Well, i'm not british, but i'm well aware about the the situation in the uk. AS a pharmacist you will earn 80K upon registration, it can go up to 100 or 120k. You have to take an exam called PEBC.

The practice here, is focused on clinical intervention and pharmacotherapy optimization. I'm pharmacist myself.

What i miss from europe, is the refinement. My apologies for the canadian. I miss the accent.
What i really don't miss is the amount of rent you pay in the UK, it's 3 times cheaper here in Canada.

I you have any questions, please, do not hesitate.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 AM

32,554 posts, read 37,780,092 times
theres many online job related search sites, heres one called Monster.ca

http://jobsearch.monster.ca/Search.a...p=25&dv=1&re=3

If you are wondering Loblaws is a large grocery chain store that has onsite pharmacies.
Walmarts are similar and also have onsite pharmacies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or