Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times

Advertisements

When I left Ottawa in 1959 what I do remember is the humidity, and one student in grade four that spoke only Canadian style French. When I returned a couple of times recently all I heard downtown was French. FYI.

I took the winter walk along the river from my downtown drop and had the riverwalk all to myself. It was only about minus 15 C. and no one was there. Everyone turned up at Tim Hortons' apparently the social centre of our capital city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 09:54 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Right. I have yet to meet any Canadians who don't have a fairly good knowledge of the land. Yes there are some that hold onto stereotypes, and I think we can all say that we have been victims of that.
Seems like you're a lot luckier than me!

Old 06-26-2015, 01:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Seems like you're a lot luckier than me!
LOL. Perhaps it's Vancouver? People from all over Canada live here. Many, many people I know travel within the country, not only for work but pleasure.

That said, and this is not a slap towards Quebec, the only person I met who came here for a visit who hadn't a clue about Vancouver or B.C. was from Montreal.

He kept saying the oddest thing. " I can't believe this is part of Canada".

Old 06-26-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
BOOOOO

Its the most perfect language in the Universe/multiverse....
Great! Can you do my taxes?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oddly enough it usually isn't Ontarians in these forums making silly generalizations about other places... Or maybe we do and we are just 'pretending' we don't

Agreed - like saying people from an entire Province have a bunch of boards up their butts (whatever the heck that is and which type of board - skateboard, ironing board, surf board) and that everyone in said province are pretenders (whatever the heck that means lol).
Or the stereotype of people in Vancouver being laid back, pot smoking lazy " hippies", siting around the beach in a drum circle banging away as the sun sets over the ocean.

Hmmmm. I AM heading to the beach today....there WILL be some smoking pot, and ya....those drum circle people ( so yesterday ) will be there. LOL

Old 06-26-2015, 01:24 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
LOL. Perhaps it's Vancouver? People from all over Canada live here. Many, many people I know travel within the country, not only for work but pleasure.

That said, and this is not a slap towards Quebec, the only person I met who came here for a visit who hadn't a clue about Vancouver or B.C. was from Montreal.

He kept saying the oddest thing. " I can't believe this is part of Canada".
You know BCers better than I do, though I've been there numerous times.

I never got the impression they were more knowledgeable. Many seemed to be very focused on Cascadia-California with their gaze going down the coast there.

Many also seem to think that all of Canada outside of SW BC and Vancouver Island is some type of barren Arctic wasteland.

And one of the times my wife was asked if she was from France because they overheard her speaking French (WTF? People in Canada speak French? No waaaaaaaay!) was in BC as well...

Not surprised about the Quebecer being clueless about BC and Van BTW.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You know BCers better than I do, though I've been there numerous times.

I never got the impression they were more knowledgeable. Many seemed to be very focused on Cascadia-California with their gaze going down the coast there.

Many also seem to think that all of Canada outside of SW BC and Vancouver Island is some type of barren Arctic wasteland.

And one of the times my wife was asked if she was from France because they overheard her speaking French (WTF? People in Canada speak French? No waaaaaaaay!) was in BC as well...

Not surprised about the Quebecer being clueless about BC and Van BTW.
Gazing down the coast? Certainly many people drive down the coast to California, it's a easy holiday and actually fairly close. Politically, I don't hear people speaking that way.

Arctic yes, barren no. Many who move to Vancouver from other parts of Canada, mention winter as one of the reasons. They help paint the picture of Arctic like winters.

The French thing surprises me. I know many here can't tell the difference in a French accent and a Quebecois one. I can. However to not know French is an official language must mean that person is not there mentally. I mean...packaging? Federal forms, signs at Federal Buildings and the airport etc.
They have to be a rare bird, or perhaps not Canadian? Maybe you were talking to a tourist?

Anyway, it's another gorgeous day here. I'm hopping on my bike ( with a cooler backpack stuffed with a couple of beer ) and heading to the beach!

Old 06-26-2015, 03:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Great! Can you do my taxes?
Sorry Nat - that's one thing I never have and never will pick up on... My mommy still does my taxes

Old 06-27-2015, 01:19 PM

Two photos I took yesterday on my bike ride. Heading out again today.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 AM

984 posts, read 1,314,638 times
I don't think BCers think particularly badly about Ontario. Provincially they have little in common.

When it comes to Vancouver/Toronto that is quite a different matter. Vancouverites are constantly saying how much better Vancouver is in such-and-such category over Toronto {or every city for that matter} as Toronto is seen as the big bad Eastern snob. Torontonians on the other hand don't even think about Vancouver. Torontonians seem to think it is a pretty little city but that's assuming they think of it at all. The only Canadian city Toronto ever thinks about is Montreal and in general don't see other Canadians as being particularly relevant.

Maybe this is where a lot of anti-Toronto feeling comes from in Western Canada..............there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada