U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:32 AM

32 posts, read 26,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
The only Canadian city Toronto ever thinks about is Montreal and in general don't see other Canadians as being particularly relevant.
Toronto only compares itself to Montreal when it comes to hockey. And everybody outside of the Greater Toronto Area know who wins that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:07 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,167,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarket Paul View Post
Toronto only compares itself to Montreal when it comes to hockey. And everybody outside of the Greater Toronto Area know who wins that one.
You mean the other 7 billion humans who know Toronto sucks, right? lol

Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmarket Paul View Post
No - I think those within the GTA know the Leafs SUCK.. Hey isn't Newmarket a part of the GTA.. I think she is one of our likkle satellites

Anyway you just wait - Babcock is going to turn this ship around I tell ya........ lol

Last edited by fusion2; 06-28-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-28-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Hey - you better be talking about the other 7 billion humans knowing the Leafts suck and not Toronto - otherwise those are fighting words Mags

Old 06-28-2015, 12:04 PM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
I dont know why every one gives Toronto a hard time as i think its a great city, lots to do great shopping and dining ,many events and interesting venues good public transportation,
i lived there once for a year and really enjoyed the social scenes,in fact on all visits to Toronto i've never had a bad experience.Perhaps it helps if you have a friendly out going disposition and arent afraid of initiating social interactions.
Toronto? whats not to like?

Old 06-28-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont know why every one gives Toronto a hard time as i think its a great city, lots to do great shopping and dining ,many events and interesting venues good public transportation,
i lived there once for a year and really enjoyed the social scenes,in fact on all visits to Toronto i've never had a bad experience.Perhaps it helps if you have a friendly out going disposition and arent afraid of initiating social interactions.
Toronto? whats not to like?
Part of the problem I think Jambo simply is the need to connect the people of a place to a particular stereotype.. Its just so easy to do that. Objectively Toronto has a lot to offer and there are all kinds of different types of people in the city - its far from being 'only' a business place. Perfect it is not but what place is.. I typically find the negative sentiment towards the city not really rooted in anything rational or well thought out/experienced. As for it getting slack for being Canada's largest well Toronto while a big city isn't particularly large compared to many other nations largest cities so i'm not sure why that would be used against it. Someone has to be the biggest in a country.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:25 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I don't think BCers think particularly badly about Ontario. Provincially they have little in common.

When it comes to Vancouver/Toronto that is quite a different matter. Vancouverites are constantly saying how much better Vancouver is in such-and-such category over Toronto {or every city for that matter} as Toronto is seen as the big bad Eastern snob. Torontonians on the other hand don't even think about Vancouver. Torontonians seem to think it is a pretty little city but that's assuming they think of it at all. The only Canadian city Toronto ever thinks about is Montreal and in general don't see other Canadians as being particularly relevant.

Maybe this is where a lot of anti-Toronto feeling comes from in Western Canada..............there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about.
I think that is an over generalization. I have heard certain Vancouverites say what they think is better about Vancouver over such and such a place, but those are mostly people who have moved to Vancouver from other cities...and we know that a a lot of people living in Vancouver have moved here.

There are also a lot of Vancouverites, myself included, that rave about Toronto or Montreal and what we like about those cities albeit with the usual caveat that we wouldn't like the winters there.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:22 PM

32 posts, read 26,237 times
Quote:
Leaf fans live in their own little world. A utopia if you will. A place where it's always 1967 unless they hear the names Dougie and Wendel, like a whisper in the breeze...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No - I think those within the GTA know the Leafs SUCK.. Hey isn't Newmarket a part of the GTA.. I think she is one of our likkle satellites
Anyway you just wait - Babcock is going to turn this ship around I tell ya........ lol
Unfortunately we're just outside of Newmarket in Bradford. So technically we're not in the GTA. Sadly we're in South Simcoe with the likes of Innisfil.

Only 10 minutes away but it's like night and day sometimes............Bradford can be very, very "small town" at times.

For the record, I've been an Oiler fan since the '80's. I gave up on them when the ole boys club took over the team a few years ago. Now that they've all been "reassigned", hockey can resume in Oil town.
And Mike Babcock is about to have a rude awakening.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:15 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,167,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hey - you better be talking about the other 7 billion humans knowing the Leafts suck and not Toronto - otherwise those are fighting words Mags
Oh, yes of course. lol I just re-read the way I wrote that. Of course I meant the Leafs. lol

I'll give the fans credit though, they don't abandon that team for nothing.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:41 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,754,272 times
Quote:
I'll give the fans credit though, they don't abandon that team for nothing.
Being a Leaf fan is ingrained from day 1.

One of my first memories is my Dad wheeling the portable TV into the dining room so we could watch the Leafs play while we had dinner. We lived in Calgary at the time, so an 8:00 pm start in Toronto was a 6:00 pm start on TV in Calgary. Mom was not amused, but she dealt, as she was a Leafs fan too. Both Mom and Dad were from southern Ontario originally, and each had been to Maple Leaf Gardens for Leaf games.

We moved to Toronto, and I was in awe one day when Dad drove us by Maple Leaf Gardens. "That's it, Chevy," Dad said, "That's where your team plays." I was agog at the car window, looking at this temple of hockey on Carlton Street. I was further amazed when my Dad said, some weeks later, "I've got tickets to the Leafs game. Chevy, you wanna go?"

Well, yeah! I still remember that night. Against Montreal (I knew that Montreal were the bad guys). Johnny Bower was in goal for the Leafs, George Armstrong on centre, and I didn't care who was playing for Montreal; I just wanted the Leafs to win. And they did.

Dad and I went to many games at Maple Leaf Gardens after that. And thanks to those experiences, I have never stopped being a Leaf fan.

As I said, being a Leaf fan is ingrained from day 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or