Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:04 AM

32 posts, read 36,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Ok that all makes sense. I guess I have to understand that many Ontarians haven't been to BC and have limited knowledge. I guess I'm pretty lucky to have traveled coast to coast in Canada. It's a shame more Canadians don't have an interest in seeing more of their own country.
I never had an interest in the ROC until I was in my late 20's, maybe early 30's. (I'm 41 now and would love to do a coast to coast with my wife and 2 daughters)

Before travelling to BC (and Alberta), I knew less about the West than Chevy listed. I knew you are West of us and had mountains. After seeing both provinces now I absolutely love it and can't wait to go back. Hopefully permanently one day.
My conversion happened on the plane to Calgary. I had the worst headache and it went down my neck to my shoulders. When the plane banked for final approach to Calgary and the wings leveled out, I saw them. BOOM! The Rocky Mountains. For the few minutes during our approach I felt great looking out at the Rockies.

I think any resistence you find from Ontarians is the way we hear how beautiful and how great life is in BC.
Now that I've seen it and would love to live there it doesn't bother me in the least. Hearing how you can golf 11 months of the year on the lower mainland sounds like paradise especially on the edge of the mountains like that. What's the phrase I've heard, "You can golf in the morning and ski in the afternoon"?
I may need to take up skiing.

But seriously, if you want an instant way to bond with people in Ottawa, tell them how much you hate the Toronto Maple Leafs. Even if you're not a sports fan that's an instant ice breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 07:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Chevy says it best with his assertion this country, from shore to shore, presents a diversity of scenery to marvel at.

Ontarians are used to getting dissed on by every other province as political incompetence that affects the entire country in many nefarious ways predominantly issues from it's confines.

To some degree one cannot blame Ontario people for taking what I call a pre-emptive defense posture to anyone from other provinces.

We are sort of inured now to visiting Canadians opening a discussion with comments that don't differentiate between the boobs occupying space in our Federal Seat and Ontario in general.

British Columbia truly is a most beautiful province with it's pristine wilderness extending further south into populated areas to a greater extent than most other provinces.

Having been stationed in Esquimalt for 3 years back in the early 60's I can tell you how comical it was to be the only guy capable of driving a car in the inch or so of snow they got over one night. Buses spinning their wheels and sliding into curbs, city service vehicles of Victoria taken off the roads lest they have a boo boo, it was downright amusing to watch.

I had to navigate around stalled and sliding vehicles up the hill from Naden to Admirals Rd. like a running back through an offensive line.

Were I to ever consider moving again at my late stage of life; British Columbia and the eastern coastal provinces would be the only considered choices.

We truly are a most fortunate people to live in a country occupying this part of the globe.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
. I've visited Ontario many times though the past while and when I tell people I'm from Vancouver, and talk about Vancouver or BC, they either tune out and change the subject, ask me why am I there or make some comment about Vancouver's climate never getting snow (which is not true). .
You might be taking their indifference the wrong way or too personally, the fact that people tune out when you start talking about BC would probably be the resultant attitude no matter which province you were from,people from Ontario dont have a specific hang up about BC they just dont care to hear about it that much, kinda like when you go for a social event at some ones house and albums full of the baby pictures are pulled out or you are subjected to the families home movies.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:03 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,171 times
Honestly, you never really hear much about BC in this area, Alberta is more popular because there were so many jobs available, but BC? Nope, not really.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:59 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Honestly, you never really hear much about BC in this area, Alberta is more popular because there were so many jobs available, but BC? Nope, not really.
Do you think Canadians aren't properly educated about other provinces than where they live?

Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You might be taking their indifference the wrong way or too personally, the fact that people tune out when you start talking about BC would probably be the resultant attitude no matter which province you were from,people from Ontario dont have a specific hang up about BC they just dont care to hear about it that much, kinda like when you go for a social event at some ones house and albums full of the baby pictures are pulled out or you are subjected to the families home movies.
Why wouldn't people want to learn about their own country though?

Old 06-23-2015, 11:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Well; assuming they don't, and of course I would hope you're including all Canadians and not just singling out Ontarians, what is it about all areas of their country is it that you would wish them to know more about?

More exactly, what particulars do you think Canadians don't know enough about regarding all provinces of the second largest country on the planet?

It would be my belief that Canadians are ignorant to no greater extent than citizens of any other countries about their homeland.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
I didnt go to school in Canada but if Canada was anything like England and the USA geography wasnt something students got too interested in.Or perhaps they were too busy learning about the minutia of every aspect of the Swiss political dynamic

Old 06-23-2015, 11:42 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,832 times
I think Ontario and the rest of the east has more of an indifference to Aberta than BC. I thought a lot of people liked BC in Ontario.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I think Ontario and the rest of the east has more of an indifference to Aberta than BC. I thought a lot of people liked BC in Ontario.
I certainly have no hang ups or dislikes for any people in Canada. I've experienced anti Toronto and anti Ontario sentiment in my travels though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada