Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 AM

3,593 posts, read 3,330,269 times

Advertisements

OK, why should a Vancouverite know ten things about Nova Scotia?

For that matter, why should a New Yorker know ten things about Kentucky? Or a New South Welshman know ten things about Western Australia? Or a Muscovite know ten things about Vladivostok?

It would be nice if we learned more about our giant, huge country of Canada; but we don't. We think of the parts we don't live in, in very general (if not always accurate) terms: Nova Scotia is on the Atlantic and they fish, and they used to do coal mining. Saskatchewan grows wheat. Ontario is Toronto, mostly; and has very conservative liquor laws. Quebec speaks French and has very liberal liquor laws. British Columbia grows great weed and skis at Whistler. And so on.

Similarly, I'd suggest the same occurs in every large (by geographic area) country in the world. If you don't need to know about a place a few time zones away in the same country, then you don't concern yourself with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 01:34 AM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

For that matter, why should a New Yorker know ten things about Kentucky? Or a New South Welshman know ten things about Western Australia? Or a Muscovite know ten things about Vladivostok?

It would be nice if we learned more about our giant, huge country of Canada; but we don't. We think of the parts we don't live in, in very general (if not always accurate) terms: Nova Scotia is on the Atlantic and they fish, and they used to do coal mining. Saskatchewan grows wheat. Ontario is Toronto, mostly; and has very conservative liquor laws. Quebec speaks French and has very liberal liquor laws. British Columbia grows great weed and skis at Whistler. And so on.

Similarly, I'd suggest the same occurs in every large (by geographic area) country in the world. If you don't need to know about a place a few time zones away in the same country, then you don't concern yourself with it.
Always put things into the right context....Hey Chevy - if I had 10 million in the bank and didn't have to work - i'd love to get to know the entire world very well

Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,586,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

But why shouldn't they know? Don't you think it's sad Canadians and others don't know more about the countries they live in? It seems like our education system has failed us in this regard..

Old 06-24-2015, 10:55 AM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
How do you know that's what really happens? Most people I've talked to in western canada know little about the maritimes and haven't been there
I haven't been, but I know many who have. I also know people who have moved here from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI. People I know have a fairly good idea what the Maritimes are like.

One of the reasons many haven't gone is the cost. It's cheaper and easier to get to Tokyo or London etc than it is to fly to Halifax. So when time and money are tight, other places just seem a bit more exotic.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:02 AM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
But why shouldn't they know? Don't you think it's sad Canadians and others don't know more about the countries they live in? It seems like our education system has failed us in this regard..
I haven't been in school for years so perhaps someone with children currently in the system can enlighten us, but when I attended, we were taught all about Canada. From before Confederation. A bit about our local First Nation tribes and names. The Battle on the Plains of Abraham. Confederation, all the provinces and territories and their capitals, and their main industries. Louis Riel etc.
We always had a huge map of the country in the room AND each had a Canadian Atlas.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:28 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,194,469 times
Quote:
I think people who want to know more about other parts of Canada, will do so and become more informed on their own, and some people who could care less about other places, will continue to live in ignorance and be fine with that.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:10 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I haven't been in school for years so perhaps someone with children currently in the system can enlighten us, but when I attended, we were taught all about Canada. From before Confederation. A bit about our local First Nation tribes and names. The Battle on the Plains of Abraham. Confederation, all the provinces and territories and their capitals, and their main industries. Louis Riel etc.
We always had a huge map of the country in the room AND each had a Canadian Atlas.
It's possible to learn things in school, only to forget it over time, especially if the person never had much of an interest in the subject to begin with. Like me and math for example.... It was always a hate-hate relationship.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't people want to learn about their own country though?
What level of knowledge should the ordinary Ontarian or any other Canadian for that matter have of British Columbia to placate your need that they know the details of British Columbia to the point where you feel you are not being slighted by their lack of knowledge ?
Should all this info be committed to the memory of every Canadian?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Columbia
And should we commit to memory an equal amount of Data for each and every province lest we be accused in a negative way of not being interested in our country?

Old 06-25-2015, 10:38 AM

909 posts, read 1,142,067 times
Is there really a lot you need to know about the provines? I don't even know a lot about my own province. I know all the provinces and territories and their capitals and major cities and I can name what oceans and lakes they're on. I also know quite a bit about Canadian history in general. But besides that, what else is there to know about other provinces?

Old 06-25-2015, 10:41 AM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
As a general comment, I'd say that based on what I've been told incessantly on this forum, Canadians apparently know their country and its various regions extremely well.

So the entire premise of the last bunch of posts on this thread seems bizarre.

Since Canadians who are ignorant about the other end of the country should be very few and far between.

Right, guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada