U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2015, 10:33 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,132 posts, read 11,884,692 times
Reputation: 4428

Advertisements

It looks like I'll be relocating from Vancouver to Ottawa for work as our office is merging with the eastern office in Ottawa. I was wondering about the attitudes of Ontarians and Ottawans these days towards Vancouverites. I did live in Ottawa quite a long time ago while I was in university so things probably changed. I've visited Ontario many times though the past while and when I tell people I'm from Vancouver, and talk about Vancouver or BC, they either tune out and change the subject, ask me why am I there or make some comment about Vancouver's climate never getting snow (which is not true). So do you think people in Ontario in general have some kind of hang up or inferiority complex about the BC and the west coast these days? It wasn't like that during my university days it seemed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,447,708 times
Reputation: 4409
Nobody will care. Anyone who does (for some reason) doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,161,992 times
Reputation: 13467
An inferiority complex....over BC? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,132 posts, read 11,884,692 times
Reputation: 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
An inferiority complex....over BC? Really?
I know it's shocking but everyone I met there lately seemed to think this way. Why else would they ask why did you come here or make a false assumption that we never get snow. I've never met anyone here who would ask someone why did you come here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,161,992 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I know it's shocking but everyone I met there lately seemed to think this way. Why else would they ask why did you come here or make a false assumption that we never get snow. I've never met anyone here who would ask someone why did you come here
I would assume people would ask why you would come here, because BC is beautiful. Why leave? It has nothing to do with an inferiority complex.

And I'm working with a guy this very instant, who is from Vancouver, and he says it is so much more likely to rain in the winter, that you'd might as well say that you don't get snow.

On average, Vancouver receives 8.6 days of snow per year, and 17.5 inches (45 cm).
I'm in the southern most tip of Canada, and Windsor gets, on average, 44 days of snow, and 50.9 inches (129.2 cm).

So to someone from Ontario, really, you do not get snow. You get a dusting.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 06-22-2015 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 11:28 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,132 posts, read 11,884,692 times
Reputation: 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I would assume people would ask why you would come here, because BC is beautiful. Why leave? It has nothing to do with an inferiority complex.

And I'm working with a guy this very instant, who is from Vancouver, and he says it is so much more likely to rain in the winter, that you'd might as well say that you don't get snow.

On average, Vancouver receives 8.6 days of snow per year, and 17.5 inches (45 cm).
I'm in the southern most tip of Canada, and Windsor gets, on average, 44 days of snow, and 50.9 inches (129.2 cm).

So to someone from Ontario, really, you do not get snow. You get a dusting.
Yeah but every once in a few years Vancouver gets walloped with snow like in 2008 where everything grinds to a halt, so not all winters are completely snowless. Also, when it snows here it's heavy and slushy and quickly turns to ice. Ottawa had much more powdery snow from what I remember even if there is a lot more and it lasts longer.
BC is beautiful but so is Ontario in its own way and I don't think Ontarians toot their own horn enough to be honest when they really should...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,175 posts, read 1,752,834 times
Reputation: 2641
As a former Ontarian, I'd suggest that their indifference to BC occurs because they don't know a lot about BC. When I lived in Ontario, before I visited BC, this was all I knew:

-- BC became a province because of the railway.
-- Vancouver panics when a snowflake falls from the sky.
-- BC is pretty liberal as regards drugs.
-- There are mountains there.

Pretty ignorant, right? I've learned a lot more, on numerous visits to BC (including Vancouver in winter), and my ignorance on many things has been dispelled. But having done extensive travel within Canada, I doubt that I am representative of the majority of Ontarians.

Since you're likely dealing with the majority of Ontarians who have never visited BC, I'd suggest that you simply take their supposed indifference with a grain of salt--they don't know much about the place, and don't want to embarrass themselves.

And I know the position that you're in. I'm originally from Toronto, and now I'm in Alberta. I get all kinds of questions and comments, ranging from "Why would you ever leave Toronto?" to "You're an eastern bastard, and not a real Albertan." Meh; after a while, the latter comments just roll off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,161,992 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yeah but every once in a few years Vancouver gets walloped with snow like in 2008 where everything grinds to a halt, so not all winters are completely snowless. Also, when it snows here it's heavy and slushy and quickly turns to ice. Ottawa had much more powdery snow from what I remember even if there is a lot more and it lasts longer.
BC is beautiful but so is Ontario in its own way and I don't think Ontarians toot their own horn enough to be honest when they really should...

I realise that, but I bet the city grinds to a halt because it simply isn't equipped to deal with it.

Oh, I know Ontario is beautiful I toot it's horn all the time. lol I was in BC two or three years ago, in Salmon Arm. I've never had to look UP at the earth before. It was different.


Chevy makes some good points though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2015, 12:01 AM
 
Location: In transition
10,132 posts, read 11,884,692 times
Reputation: 4428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
As a former Ontarian, I'd suggest that their indifference to BC occurs because they don't know a lot about BC. When I lived in Ontario, before I visited BC, this was all I knew:

-- BC became a province because of the railway.
-- Vancouver panics when a snowflake falls from the sky.
-- BC is pretty liberal as regards drugs.
-- There are mountains there.

Pretty ignorant, right? I've learned a lot more, on numerous visits to BC (including Vancouver in winter), and my ignorance on many things has been dispelled. But having done extensive travel within Canada, I doubt that I am representative of the majority of Ontarians.

Since you're likely dealing with the majority of Ontarians who have never visited BC, I'd suggest that you simply take their supposed indifference with a grain of salt--they don't know much about the place, and don't want to embarrass themselves.

And I know the position that you're in. I'm originally from Toronto, and now I'm in Alberta. I get all kinds of questions and comments, ranging from "Why would you ever leave Toronto?" to "You're an eastern bastard, and not a real Albertan." Meh; after a while, the latter comments just roll off.
Ok that all makes sense. I guess I have to understand that many Ontarians haven't been to BC and have limited knowledge. I guess I'm pretty lucky to have traveled coast to coast in Canada. It's a shame more Canadians don't have an interest in seeing more of their own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2015, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,175 posts, read 1,752,834 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I guess I'm pretty lucky to have traveled coast to coast in Canada. It's a shame more Canadians don't have an interest in seeing more of their own country.
You are, and so am I. I've driven St. John's to Victoria a couple of times. Not always at once, but if you add up all my car trips, it works out that I've been from the Atlantic to the Pacific through Canada about two or three times.

It's a great country, isn't it? I love the Shield country of northern Ontario, but I hate driving it on Highway 17. Still, it is what it is, and there is so much scenery. Likewise with Highway 1 in Newfoundland--I almost hated getting to Port-aux-Basques, because it was the end of the road. The Confederation Bridge from NB to PEI, I've travelled both ways. Nova Scotia's Route 4 by the Bras D'Or Lake. Same with the A40 in Montreal. I've been on Highway 1 through Banff, Yoho, Revelstoke; and Regina, Brandon, and Winnipeg. I've seen so much, and talked to so many people in pubs, restaurants, and coffee shops--I wish that all Canadians could have the same opportunities to see their country, that I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top