U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Canada
7 posts, read 5,692 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Hi, has anyone else done this before? I want to move to the US but don't know how to go about doing it. I am 24/m, and have saved up almost 80,000. I still live at home but am applying to colleges in the US. Is this a good way to take my first step? I lived in Vancouver and Windsor, and I am more than ready to get the helicopter out of here. I really like Quebec but I don't speak French beyond a few phrases, so that isn't an option for me.

 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM
 
2,557 posts, read 2,177,631 times
Reputation: 1810
More background info please.

Where in the U.S.?
Which university programs?
High school GPA?
SAT standardized testing scores?
Work experience thus far with any reputable employers?

You pretty much gave no information except your age and that you want to move to America. Also this is the wrong forum, barking up the wrong tree.
 
Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Reputation: 7578
If you are 24 and want to further you study, the best way to move to US is indeed to apply for some college. Then you can apply for jobs after graduation, obtain work visa and gradually work toward a green card. I mean, that's how tens of thousands of Chinese, Indians and others eventually moved to the US and settled there permanently.

You can also try to find a TN job if you are qualified, but your status need to be renewed every 3 years. Hypothetically you can do that forever.

If you really want to move to the US, you CAN. Millions of Mexicans did, in one way or another. It just depends on how badly you want it.
 
Old 06-26-2015, 04:21 PM
 
2,557 posts, read 2,177,631 times
Reputation: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If you are 24 and want to further you study, the best way to move to US is indeed to apply for some college. Then you can apply for jobs after graduation, obtain work visa and gradually work toward a green card. I mean, that's how tens of thousands of Chinese, Indians and others eventually moved to the US and settled there permanently.

You can also try to find a TN job if you are qualified, but your status need to be renewed every 3 years. Hypothetically you can do that forever.

If you really want to move to the US, you CAN. Millions of Mexicans did, in one way or another. It just depends on how badly you want it.
Lol, worst advice ever, though possibly the speediest path as well under the current immigration system...

If you do go to college, actually find a job after college, and that employer is willing to support/pay for your visa sponsorship, AND actually win the annual H1B lottery (I think in 2015 only 35% applicants got selected according to some of my friends from university). Having moved from U.S. to Canada recently, I felt that the immigration process in Canada is comparatively more expedient and transparent.

Like Botticelli said, it's technically doable, but just be prepped to jump through lots and lots of legal hoops spread across many years of waiting...

Or: change your surname to Sanchez or Garcia, fly to Mexico, and then cross over from Arizona. No papers or documents required
 
Old 06-26-2015, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Seattle-WA-USA
678 posts, read 663,204 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Lol, worst advice ever, though possibly the speediest path as well under the current immigration system...

If you do go to college, actually find a job after college, and that employer is willing to support/pay for your visa sponsorship, AND actually win the annual H1B lottery (I think in 2015 only 35% applicants got selected according to some of my friends from university). Having moved from U.S. to Canada recently, I felt that the immigration process in Canada is comparatively more expedient and transparent.

Like Botticelli said, it's technically doable, but just be prepped to jump through lots and lots of legal hoops spread across many years of waiting...

Or: change your surname to Sanchez or Garcia, fly to Mexico, and then cross over from Arizona. No papers or documents required
Change your first name to Felipe or Carlos or Raul or Enrique too
I can't count the many times I heard of a Maria Cisneros coming into CA with no ID and no ingles'.
 
Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 PM
 
Location: between three Great Lakes.
1,757 posts, read 1,944,547 times
Reputation: 5887
Sheeesh, some people don't know how lucky they are! If I lived in Windsor, i'd be driving to Stratford every summer weekend for the Shakespeare! Did you even do that once when you lived there?

If your answer is "no," stay put. We USAans have no room for Shakespeare non-appreciators.
 
Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Canada
7 posts, read 5,692 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If you are 24 and want to further you study, the best way to move to US is indeed to apply for some college. Then you can apply for jobs after graduation, obtain work visa and gradually work toward a green card. I mean, that's how tens of thousands of Chinese, Indians and others eventually moved to the US and settled there permanently.

You can also try to find a TN job if you are qualified, but your status need to be renewed every 3 years. Hypothetically you can do that forever.

If you really want to move to the US, you CAN. Millions of Mexicans did, in one way or another. It just depends on how badly you want it.
Hi Botticelli, I have been accepted to the University of Hawaii and I am waiting on responses from the others. I appreciate the advice. That's what I thought but I am glad you can confirm it. Oh yah, I will be studying a major in Business Administration with a minor in Financial Management.
 
Old 06-27-2015, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Toronto
632 posts, read 684,191 times
Reputation: 463
Why would you want to do that? Do you really think there's something better in the U.S.?
 
Old 06-27-2015, 01:41 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,217 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Reputation: 14143
Quote:

Why would you want to do that? Do you really think there's something better in the U.S.?
It sounds like he does and he has his personal reasons, and that's okay. His reasons for wanting to move are not something he's obligated to explain to anyone and not for strangers to question or make fun of but I get the strongest feeling from his posts that he's not proud to be a Canadian or be in Canada. It's never a good idea to try to dissuade or question someone who is already feeling disappointment, resentment and a lack of pride about where he presently is. It will just make him more resentful and Canada doesn't need that attitude in its citizens. Somebody who is unhappy and has no pride in Canada should be encouraged to leave if they want to and are able. He won't EVER be a good asset to Canada if he feels resentment about being stuck in a place where he isn't proud to be.

The young man says he has saved up $80,000 towards his goals of university and immigration to USA and I'm impressed with that. That is an accomplishment for somebody his age and shows that he is motivated and ambitious. When somebody shows that kind of ambition and desire to move to greener grass and try his hand at succeeding in another country I think he needs to be encouraged and shown good will and grace and wished good luck in his ventures.

He needs to stretch his wings and find out all by himself whether or not there's something better for him in the United States. If there is, then all the more power to him but if he's disappointed with his discoveries and it turns out there isn't anything better for him there he can always come back home and start all over again at trying to succeed as a Canadian. Or he can try somewhere else.

.
 
Old 06-28-2015, 09:41 AM
 
800 posts, read 507,636 times
Reputation: 304
Go to college and get a job. Or get a company to sponsor you. I'd the company wants you bad enough they will do all that stuff for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top