U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,660 posts, read 1,640,676 times
Reputation: 2845

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why is it on the Canada forum? Shouldn't you post on the American forum?

Oh, wait, we don't have enough posts talking about America here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdC3uhPeEY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2015, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,172,550 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why is it on the Canada forum? Shouldn't you post on the American forum?

Oh, wait, we don't have enough posts talking about America here!

We do have American posters who visit the Canada section, botti. This is who it is addressed to. I know, I KNOW you think this has something do do with what you think is some obsession of ours, but try to calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
We do have American posters who visit the Canada section, botti. This is who it is addressed to. I know, I KNOW you think this has something do do with what you think is some obsession of ours, but try to calm down.
Yea, how considerate. I hope someday the feeling becomes mutual.

Canadians visit US forums too, show me where some Americans say "happy canada day" somewhere.

It is pure US obsession, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 08:01 AM
 
2,564 posts, read 2,183,378 times
Reputation: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yea, how considerate. I hope someday the feeling becomes mutual.

Canadians visit US forums too, show me where some Americans say "happy canada day" somewhere.

It is pure US obsession, period.
Hey, what exactly is wrong with U.S. obsession? America is the largest, most powerful, most influential superpower in the world. What's not to like but to follow the leader?

The thing is, when America makes a landmark decision like this one on marriage equality (or other issues like climate change, etc.), it IS a big deal worldwide. I saw on German news that even the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin was lighted up in rainbows last weekend to congratulate America's landmark decision (same-sex marriage is still not fully legislated federally in Germany), and has already sparked further parliamentary debate to full-fledge marriage equality throughout Germany.

I also didn't think this would be a big deal outside of America until I read several analysis on its ripple effects worldwide. Even in China, with a government that usually detests American or "western" influences, it has already sparked an unusually vocal debate in state media on marriage equality in China (and rather highlighted the lack of discussion on this topic in China):

US Supreme Court Ruling On Gay Marriage Prompts 'Unprecedented' Debate In China, Gives Hope To Gay Activists

Even the usually nationalist state newspaper Global Times chimed in, offering cautious support for gay rights in China:

US gay marriage ruling sparks debate in China - Global Times

Gay marriage ruling will leave deep legacy - Global Times

Like mentioned in the above article, I was also surprised to see Taobao and Tmall, China's largest ecommerce sites, rebranding its front page logos last weekend with the rainbow to show support for marriage equality in America. These two sites combined have the highest traffic volume throughout China and represent two of the most cutting edge Chinese companies, so you can imagine how far reaching this message can become especially to the younger generation in China:



And this is China's fastest growing smartphone producer, Xiaomi's, message to all their customers over the past weekend:



The world famous Brandenburg Gate lighted up over the past weekend to commemorate the SCOTUS decision:


Last edited by bostonkid123; 07-01-2015 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,692 posts, read 6,544,693 times
Reputation: 8193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Hey, what exactly is wrong with U.S. obsession? America is the largest, most powerful, most influential superpower in the world. What's not to like but to follow the leader?

The thing is, when America makes a landmark decision like this one on marriage equality (or other issues like climate change, etc.), it IS a big deal worldwide. I saw on German news that even the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin was lighted up in rainbows last weekend to congratulate America's landmark decision (same-sex marriage is still not fully legislated federally in Germany), and has already sparked further parliamentary debate to full-fledge marriage equality throughout Germany.

I also didn't think this would be a big deal outside of America until I read several analysis on its ripple effects worldwide. Even in China, with a government that usually detests American or "western" influences, it has already sparked an unusually vocal debate in state media on marriage equality in China (and rather highlighted the lack of discussion on this topic in China):

US Supreme Court Ruling On Gay Marriage Prompts 'Unprecedented' Debate In China, Gives Hope To Gay Activists

Even the usually nationalist state newspaper Global Times chimed in, offering cautious support for gay rights in China:

US gay marriage ruling sparks debate in China - Global Times

Gay marriage ruling will leave deep legacy - Global Times

Like mentioned in the above article, I was also surprised to see Taobao and Tmall, China's largest ecommerce sites, rebranding its front page logos last weekend with the rainbow to show support for marriage equality in America. These two sites combined have the highest traffic volume throughout China and represent two of the most cutting edge Chinese companies, so you can imagine how far reaching this message can become especially to the younger generation in China:


And this is China's fastest growing smartphone producer, Xiaomi's, message to all their customers over the past weekend:


The world famous Brandenburg Gate lighted up over the past weekend to commemorate the SCOTUS decision:
Hey, don't rain on botti's parade...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why is it on the Canada forum? Shouldn't you post on the American forum?

Oh, wait, we don't have enough posts talking about America here!
Only you Botti... Only you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Hey, what exactly is wrong with U.S. obsession? America is the largest, most powerful, most influential superpower in the world. What's not to like but to follow the leader?

The thing is, when America makes a landmark decision like this one on marriage equality (or other issues like climate change, etc.), it IS a big deal worldwide. I saw on German news that even the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin was lighted up in rainbows last weekend to congratulate America's landmark decision (same-sex marriage is still not fully legislated federally in Germany), and has already sparked further parliamentary debate to full-fledge marriage equality throughout Germany.

I also didn't think this would be a big deal outside of America until I read several analysis on its ripple effects worldwide. Even in China, with a government that usually detests American or "western" influences, it has already sparked an unusually vocal debate in state media on marriage equality in China (and rather highlighted the lack of discussion on this topic in China):

US Supreme Court Ruling On Gay Marriage Prompts 'Unprecedented' Debate In China, Gives Hope To Gay Activists

Even the usually nationalist state newspaper Global Times chimed in, offering cautious support for gay rights in China:

US gay marriage ruling sparks debate in China - Global Times

Gay marriage ruling will leave deep legacy - Global Times

Like mentioned in the above article, I was also surprised to see Taobao and Tmall, China's largest ecommerce sites, rebranding its front page logos last weekend with the rainbow to show support for marriage equality in America. These two sites combined have the highest traffic volume throughout China and represent two of the most cutting edge Chinese companies, so you can imagine how far reaching this message can become especially to the younger generation in China:

And this is China's fastest growing smartphone producer, Xiaomi's, message to all their customers over the past weekend:

The world famous Brandenburg Gate lighted up over the past weekend to commemorate the SCOTUS decision:
All true, but that's the news which is supposed to cover anything major, while this is a Canada-specific forum discussing Canada specific issues, so I fail to see the relevance here. Maybe one should spread the news on travel, food & drink, pets and photography forums as well since this event has "rippling effect"?

Canada legalized gay marriage nationwide 10 years ago, so I really don't see how important this is for Canada. Following your argument, if gay marriage is legalized in China, would the OP post it on this forum in such excitement? I highly doubt that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 PM
 
625 posts, read 1,188,975 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All true, but that's the news which is supposed to cover anything major, while this is a Canada-specific forum discussing Canada specific issues, so I fail to see the relevance here. Maybe one should spread the news on travel, food & drink, pets and photography forums as well since this event has "rippling effect"?

Canada legalized gay marriage nationwide 10 years ago, so I really don't see how important this is for Canada. Following your argument, if gay marriage is legalized in China, would the OP post it on this forum in such excitement? I highly doubt that.
Its important because the US is our neighbour, a very large neighbour at that, with whom we share (one of?) the longest land border(s) in the world , many of us having friends and relatives on both sides, 1 million of us also being US citizens, which is not surprising because in addition to proximity we share similar cultural histories (First Nations whose cultures span our border, British and French colonization, similar history of immigration, and of evolving civil rights), we share a free trade agreement (which means gay couples may want to cross the border in either direction for employment), etc. Its an international world and I shudder to think how we'd get along with other nations if we couldn't even care what's happening with our closest neighbour. Its also important because those of us who are progressive have been wondering when the US would follow suit (many U.S. states already having done so.)

The OP might post on this forum if he were Chinese-Canadian, sure. But for most of us, the US is more relevant as far as distance, culture, politics, and (for English speakers) language.

So yes, congrats, U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top