U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:14 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,360,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No need to be so worked up.
I don't recommend such a remote place for many practical reasons. Even in a city like Toronto, fewer than half of the population actually live in buildings with elevators, so stop being so dramatic.

Your links are more for tourists. Maybe you should provide something such as great schools, hospitals, grocery stores, movie theatres, restaurants or other places a family actually need on a regular basis.

Speaking of "playing outside", what about the remaining 6 months of the year a kid can't do that? What will he do?

Of course, stating a kid is going to grow up lonely living on Manitoulin Is. and cannot play outside in the winter, wasn't in the least being dramatic.

Last edited by BruSan; 07-03-2015 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:26 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,161,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Manitoulin is very rural, and the First Nation population is extremely high. One of my online game friends was from there but moved to Sudbury. It's a very depressing place. I grew up in the woods too, and I wouldn't wish it on the kids either. Alcoholism is a significant problem there. Living closer to Sudbury is a better alternative
I don't live on Manitoulin but spent the better part of my life in a rural, woodsy area up in northern Ontario. You are correct in stating the problems that arise from living in rural areas. Some people have this fairy tale theory about raising their kids in the fresh country air with acres and acres to play on.
They DO get bored. TV, video games and internet are often their only entertainment during the winter and summers are short up in the north.The have to arise early to take busses to school and are late getting home with long rural bus rides.

Your children having a play date is an all day or all night event. It's too far to drive them for an hour or two. Then when they're teens you have to worry about them driving poorly plowed rural roads late at night.
They miss out on organized sports unless they want to take the late bus home and arrive home late in the evening.

I myself went stir crazy during the long dark winter months with nothing to look at outside my windows but snow and trees with no sign of civilization. My husband worked long hours and I found it very lonely.
The LONG drive to town on snow-covered roads to get groceries or to an appointment was hellish at times.

Just make sure you are well prepared to be isolated and away from the comforts of city living. After you've settled in and find that the wonderful smell of fresh country air isn't so wonderful, you'll either love the quiet peacefullness, get depressed, crack up, (lol) or put a for sale sign on your house not long after you settle. Oh, and if you buy a house, unless it is rare, unique and likely to be a hot market item, good luck with selling it any time soon.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 281 times
Hello: Just came across your post(s) ... Will be heading up to Manitoulin w/in the nxt wk to check out a property in Gore Bay. Expect it will be everything our small family needs to get away from all the 'narcissism' that drives city life. Manitoulin maybe desolate during the winter mnths, but remember 'where there is no wilderness there is no god'.

... See you on the trail friend!

Old 10-20-2018, 02:14 AM

7 posts, read 4,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh for ! Botti; why must you always compare with an urban dweller's myopia?

Canada is still a predominantly rural country after all, and guess what; those rural dwelling children have friends aplenty of the BEST kind. No harm ever came to a young person by having to walk a mile to visit and interact with a friend for an afternoon of playing outside.

Not everyone is looking for a neighbourhood where you see limited daylight between tall buildings and count among the major activities for youngsters, riding the elevator from the third floor to the fourteenth floor to spend four hours on an X-Box swilling sugar drinks.

Have you ever even been onto the Manitoulin Island?
I wouldn't argue that an urban upbringing is inherently better, but you sound like you have a very idealistic view of a rural childhood. I grew up on a farm on the Bruce Peninsula (near Manitoulin so this is relevant), and it definitely wasn't an overwhelmingly positive experience. Fresh air and butterflies, sure. Along with abysmal schooling, widespread alcoholism, drug use and obesity among my peers even from early teens, and major social isolation if you are part of any kind of minority group or just a little 'different'. I was a basketcase by the time I arrived at uni. I honestly imagine Manitoulin would be worse. Has anyone mentioned the Chicheemaun doensn't run all winter??

It can be positive, but you need to be really careful raising a child in a rural area, especially with the internet nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or