U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 3,268 times

Advertisements

Retired. Looking for small town in Southwestern Ontario. What is Wallaceburg like? See real estate prices very reasonable. Drove around the area. What are the drawbacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 639 times
Greetings,

I am getting old myself and been thinking of a place where I can resettle. I don't know much about wallaceburg but I personally would pick a place that has a good community for people of similar age range. This way the chances to enjoy the remainder of life more bearable since it's more likely to communicate with people in the same age group.

Sarnia wasn't bad for my taste due to availability of essentials. It all depends on what's important at the end.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:25 PM

How about the air quality in Sarnia. Is it an issue?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:51 PM

831 posts, read 934,304 times
Hate to rain on your parade but Wallaceburg is one of the most depressed, decrepit, and ugly towns in the whole province. It was once a decent sized town but due to massive layoffs the towns population has been steadily declining for decades.

The housing is extremely cheap and with good reason..............nobody wants to live there. Sarnia is much bigger at around 90,000 but you are in the Chemical Valley and the pollution is bad. The city has a nice waterfront but in general it's an unattractive place with a horrid downtown. Couldn't pay me enough to live in Sarnia.

Chatham is your best bet with short, mild winters with very little snow, a pretty city, with a lovely downtown, and some nice old neighbourhoods. It has about 45,000 and is an hour from both London and Windsor and is on a busy VIA Rail route. Leamington is also a good and pleasant option and is a real retirement haven and is only about 50 minutes to Windsor and is right on Lake Erie and Pt.Pelee Prov Park which is world renowned for it's bird watching.

Petrolia, Ridgetown, and Blenheim are very cheap and yet, unlike Sarnia and Wallaceburg, very nice little places. Welland Niagara is also quite cheap.

Where ever you decide, Wallaceburg should be at the very bottom of your list.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the info. We already spend winters in Florida so the cold is not a problem. Just looking for a good small town for that one final move. Guess Elliott Lake isn't feasible??? Reading somewhere about smell in Chatham due to some new industry. Guess we will have to go on a road trip.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 PM

831 posts, read 934,304 times
Northern Ontario has a lot of beautify scenery but you have to be prepaired for the black flies. mosquitoes, and be a long distance from anywhere.

Southern/Eastern Ontario is your best bet and rural Ontario is very cheap but is full of beautiful old towns and yet a large city is always no more than an hour away. If winters aren't a problem than the towns along Lake Huron are very nice, affordable, and offer great summer fun. Goderich is absolutely beautiful and only an hour north of very nice London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or