Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:40 AM

16 posts, read 16,743 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a young family with one child and one on the way. We would love to move to Canada preferably Quebec (but my french is limited) and my husband speaks no french. I am currently still in school studying to become a bilingual teacher. My husband is a chef with all of his qualifications of culinary school. We are not in a rush to move to Canada, but we have visited a few times and just enjoy the living experience in Canada.

My brother and his wife with three children moved to Canada three years ago and love it! They seem so happy and not as stressed as we are.

Anyway is there any chance we have on moving there? I know it would probably be best to try once I finish school, but with my husbands Culinary Degree from ICE do we stand a chance. Also forgot to mention we are American citizens and also fluent in Spanish.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 01:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,473,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfamily3 View Post
Hello,

We are a young family with one child and one on the way. We would love to move to Canada preferably Quebec (but my french is limited) and my husband speaks no french. I am currently still in school studying to become a bilingual teacher. My husband is a chef with all of his qualifications of culinary school. We are not in a rush to move to Canada, but we have visited a few times and just enjoy the living experience in Canada.

My brother and his wife with three children moved to Canada three years ago and love it! They seem so happy and not as stressed as we are.

Anyway is there any chance we have on moving there? I know it would probably be best to try once I finish school, but with my husbands Culinary Degree from ICE do we stand a chance. Also forgot to mention we are American citizens and also fluent in Spanish.

Thanks in advance
Here's where you want to start looking to see if you qualify.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 07-09-2015, 02:46 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,135,039 times
And here is immigration Quebec website:

Immigration-Québec - Home Page

Old 07-09-2015, 04:42 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
I'd move to wherever your brother is, learn your French then move to Quebec,if hes already in Quebec he can be a valuable resource on problems you might encounter.
I;m not sure what a bilingual teacher is,would you be focusing on being in an English school teaching French or in a French school teaching English.?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:54 PM

16 posts, read 16,743 times
Well the Bilingual teaching here is focused around Spanish. So teaching school grade children all subjects in both English and Spanish. But before I do that I plan to get my BA in Special Education which is solely in English.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:06 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Well the Bilingual teaching here is focused around Spanish. So teaching school grade children all subjects in both English and Spanish. But before I do that I plan to get my BA in Special Education which is solely in English.

Heads up.
Before you make big decisions on your future in Quebec you might want to check on job potential.
My wife is a teacher in the English Lester B Pierson school board and she says there are no jobs currently available for teachers of any kind,in fact budgets are so tight all the librarians had to be let go due to not enough money.
Budget cuts forcing school boards to slash vital services, unions say | Montreal Gazette

Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 PM

625 posts, read 1,384,869 times
Quote:
I don't know what the situation is on Quebec or Ontario for that matter (Montreal and Toronto both have Spanish/Latin American communities), but you should investigate the demand for English/Spanish bilingual education if that is what you'd like to continue doing. Here in BC the immersion schools (we dont have public bilingual options) are almost exclusively French. The province tried to introuce other langauges some years ago but there was apparently a strong backlash from francophile parents and the proposal was dropped; I understand some immersion programs in Chinese have since been cautiously introduced in Vancouver. Now, I understand Alberta is completely different and bilingual (not immersion) programs exist in a number of langauges inclusing Spanish and seem quite popular. I hope Quebec also embraces third languages beyond English and French.

Montreal seems like a great city with diverse population, and I understand it is somewhat popular a destination for Spanish speakers. Good luck with your plans. If you were thinking about English Canada, however, I'd advise you also look at US locals where your fluency in Spanish would be much more valued! (Even near the Canadian border Spanish is increasingly common, with Washington state and Oregon being over 10% Hispanic today.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada