U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:45 PM

240 posts, read 189,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Poutine is not Canada's "signature dish". It is just French fries plus some gravy/cheese. It is like a hamburger with bacon is still a hamburger. Not sure what the fuss is about. The US has it too. Even a city like Omaha, Nebraska has good poutine. So do countries like Greece and Italy, in various forms. It is not that hard to think of adding something to the regular fries, is it.

Of course you can bring candy and snacks back, just make sure they don't contain meat or any kind of seeds/nuts. In most cases they don't even bother checking.
Yeah I know about the fries variations. Im from California, land of carne asada fries ( guacamole, sour cream carne asada and cheese) and animal style fries (1000 island dressing, onions, cheese). Ive just never had the basic poutine and am looking for something Canadian to eat. Not gonna buy a box of Kraft Dinner lol. Ive already got Tim Hortons on my list but dont wanna overdo the sweets thing. Besides we have those here in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 04:46 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Its just a local public transit bus and the one Im referring to is run by Canada. Canada's crime is more like northern Europe. As for the Detroit portion of the journey, the city surely has its problems but much of it is confined to the city proper. Downtown is ok. I think Ill survive the seedier areas. Europe isnt all rainbows and unicorns. Mostly its just poverty and Detroit's are way blown out of proportion, the suburbs and even a few pockets of the city itself are very affluent.

I survived Mexico, in fact its intercity buses are rather luxurious compared to the USA but it has poverty akin to sub saharan africa and the crime situation is nuts there. I choose not to live my life in fear.
Just to let your know SoCal M.N - DRRO is constantly talking smack about the U.S and U.S cities especially.. This wasn't some random U.S city hating post lol..

Quote:
Not gonna buy a box of Kraft Dinner lol. .
Oh C'mon - KD is the bomb lol - especially when you can buy em on sale by boxes of 12 for 6.99 - CANADIAN

Old 07-06-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I suppose I could answer this. lol

I'm not sure about this UK presence you're talking about, but as far as the accent goes, even someone in mid-Michigan sound COMPLETELY different than we do. lol

Enjoy your stay!
Hehe Well I called a Walmart asking about postcards and got a woman with such a heavy Scottish brogue that she couldnt understand me. I had to must up my finest Braveheart voice so that she finally understood me. I dont come across UK accents much in Detroit so it came as a bit of a surprise. But of course the US also has many UK residents. The biggest shock is that most people there sound like Toronto, save for the odd ones out who have a Michigander sound to their voices. I find the whole thing fascinating given that most people watch similar tv and listen to the same radio.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the answers everyone. Looking forward to the trip.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:29 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,457,052 times
Quote:
Yeah I know about the fries variations. Im from California, land of carne asada fries ( guacamole, sour cream carne asada and cheese) and animal style fries (1000 island dressing, onions, cheese). Ive just never had the basic poutine and am looking for something Canadian to eat. Not gonna buy a box of Kraft Dinner lol. Ive already got Tim Hortons on my list but dont wanna overdo the sweets thing. Besides we have those here in Michigan.
If you decide not to do it, you CAN get good poutine in Detroit:
Best Poutine in Detroit

Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
You guys are more courageous than I am taking a bus from Detroit. Bus terminals in the US are scary places, I don't think I would want to know what the one in Detroit looks like.
This is the Rosa Parks bus terminal, in downtown Detroit.......

Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,579 times
^^^

The horror!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:07 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,942,675 times
Lol who had too much money on his hands to waste on a Detroit bus terminal.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:28 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
I did the tunnel on a Greyhound last August. It's probably almost the same. Customs took literally a few minutes and then we (like all five of us) just got back on the bus and went through Windsor. I think there might be two checkpoints, though, but I can't remember if I'm confusing that with some other crossing I've done. MagnatomicFlux would probably know.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
^^^

The horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Lol who had too much money on his hands to waste on a Detroit bus terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I did the tunnel on a Greyhound last August. It's probably almost the same. Customs took literally a few minutes and then we (like all five of us) just got back on the bus and went through Windsor. I think there might be two checkpoints, though, but I can't remember if I'm confusing that with some other crossing I've done. MagnatomicFlux would probably know.

I've never taken a greyhound across. But on the tunnel bus, you board in Windsor and the only check point you go through is in Detroit. For the return, the only checkpoint is in Windsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or